Parents with disabilities

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

searcher

Parents with disabilities

Postby searcher » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:08 pm

If a parent has a disability (requiring occasional in-home treatments, regularly worn specialty clothing/apparatus) can CPS legally hold it against the parent? The disability does not in any way affect the person's parenting skills, or lessen the way they interact with the children.

I know there are certain laws preserving the rights of people with disabilities, but as many of us have learned, CPS doesn't really respect any of our rights.

(SOrry if I sound down, it hasn't been a great day here... not related to the post, though related to CPS).

Thanks.

LanceBabe

Postby LanceBabe » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:42 pm

I don't know about physical disabilities, but they are definitely holding my daughter's mental disability (depression and bi-polar disorder) against her.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm so sorry I don't know all the disability laws and how they might help in a situation like this. I can only suggest that a good disability lawyer should be consulted. If you find the way to keep CPS workers from using disabilities to destroy families, please post the information here for everyone who comes in after you.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Rhaya

Postby Rhaya » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 pm

I am facing much the same, though in my case they have "proof" that my disability has hindered my parenting, in that due to my own health issues, lack of transportation since I can't drive, and lack of family support led to my daughter missing numerous appointments with her own doctor (she has the same disability, though they still are claiming no concrete proof of genetic link :roll: )

I know how rough it is, trying to convince them on one hand that you 'are' a good parent even with the disability, yet trying to explain how the lack of help for your special needs has gotten you into this predicament in the first place. A very fine balance and they'll try to trip you up at every turn. All I can suggest is finding a local chapter of the association that deals with your disability or that of the person in question, and contacting them. That's what I'm doing. Hopefully they'll be able to do something, find an advocate to help explain things more clearly than perhaps you can. I'm good with words normally, but with a courtroom full of people, all trying to take my baby away from me, I'd be sure to fumble and drop the ball. Hoping it won't come to that but after reading through some of these threads here I have my doubts my case will close without ever going to court.

Return to “Medical Issues”