Article: Merck Manual -- Separation trauma

A place to discuss the many medical issues that may come up during the course of a CPS case.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Marina

Article: Merck Manual -- Separation trauma

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:50 pm

Merck Manual -- Separation Trauma

Article – Merck Manual – “Removal from their family is enormously painful to children... Children in foster care leave behind their neighborhoods, communities, schools and most of their belongings. Many children and adolescents in foster care feel anxious, uncertain, and helpless to control their lives

Article – Children in foster care have more chronic illnesses, and behavioral, emotional and developmental problems than do other children.”

corrected link
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec23/ch287/ch287f.html
Last edited by Marina on Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maine Mom

Link to Article

Postby Maine Mom » Sat May 06, 2006 10:44 am

This link did not work for me. If you have a copy of the article on your harddrive will you please email it to me. Thanks!!!

Melissa

[email protected]

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat May 06, 2006 11:26 am

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec23/ch287/ch287f.html

Foster Care

Buy The Book

Print This Topic

Email This Topic

Foster care is care provided for children whose families are temporarily unable to care for them. The local government determines the process of arranging foster care. Foster care is surprisingly common in the United States; around 750,000 children are in the foster care system each year.

The foster parent assumes day-to-day care for the child. However, the birth parents usually remain the child's legal guardians. This means that the birth parents still make legal decisions for the child. For example, if the child needs an operation, only the birth parents can provide consent.

Most children in foster care are from poor families. About 70% of the children in foster care are put there by child protective services because the child has been abused or neglected. Most of the remaining 30% are adolescents placed in care by the juvenile justice system. Very few children are placed voluntarily by their parents. Most children in foster care live with foster families, although many adolescents live in group homes or residential treatment facilities.

Removal from their family is enormously painful to children. In foster care, children may have frequent visits with their families or only limited, supervised visits. Children in foster care leave behind their neighborhoods, communities, schools, and most of their belongings. Many children and adolescents in foster care feel anxious, uncertain, and helpless to control their lives. Many feel angry, rejected, and pained by the separation, or they develop a profound sense of loss. Some feel guilty, believing that they caused the disruption of their birth family. Peers often tease children about being in foster care, reinforcing perceptions that they are somehow different or unworthy. Children in foster care have more chronic illnesses and behavioral, emotional, and developmental problems than do other children. Yet, most children in foster care adjust well as long as the foster family nurtures the child's emotional needs. Most children in foster care benefit from counseling.

About half of the children eventually return to their birth families. About 20% of children in foster care are eventually adopted, most often by their foster family. Other children return to a relative or become too old for foster care. A small number of children are later transferred to another foster care agency.
This is not legal advice;hopefully wisdom

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.
http://themurkynews.blogspot.com/ MattTwoFour

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

treytrey1

Re: Article: Merck Manual -- Separation trauma

Postby treytrey1 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:11 pm

My youngest was diagnosed with Sensory Processing disorder when she
was 2 and a half. She also has sepration aniexty. She suffered very badly
when taken to foster care. They tried to blame it on us. My son had been
molested before they took him and soon after being taken he had such
a meltdown at the doctors office that he had to be hospitalized. The doctor
tried to blame it us, even though we found out almost a year and a half later
that the caseworker we had had hit my son. My son actually was hospitalized
twice. The first time was the day he was taken. We told Dcs that he and the
youngest would have problems. They said they had professionals thayt would
be able to handle it. Yea right! My youngest daughters therapist couldn't
even diagnose why my daughter acted the way she did. We told her about
the Sensory Processing and then a lightbulb went on in her head.
We tried telling Dcs about it but they would never listen. They just kept
saying that we didn't have the ability to correctly parent our children. What's
funny is that neither did the people they hired to supervise us. We actually
had to ride with our littleone on more than one occasion to take her back to
where she was living.

Return to “Medical Issues”