Obseity Child Case- UK

A place to post and discuss news.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Frustrated

Obseity Child Case- UK

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:38 am

It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:41 am

All they have to do is to put him in the Special Treatment Center at the Hospital and get him on a Diet. Offer Dietican to the Mother to learn how to feed her Son properly. That's Services offer to the Family.
Follow the program. If Mother can learn from the Dietican how to change the food menu and feed her kid properly and at the same time, he gets monitor checks weekly at the Hospital to make sure he is dropping in weight but eating healthy.

Just like any Fitness Center would have to measure you and offer you services on how to eat healthy foods.

Removal is not necessary unless if he has proven Heart Disease or Chloesterol problems.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

rlfroo

Postby rlfroo » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 am

Not to argue with anyone but I think this is very bad parenting. I do agree that he should not be put into foster care or removed from his family, but his family needs help. The mother needs help as she is getting love from this child by feeding him. I am assuming she thinks that by giving him what he wants he will love her more. It does not work that way. Children need guidance and support. They also need boundaries and this child does not have any. I would also have this child checked for Prader Willie syndrome. This is a devestating illness. This child can be helped, but he is not the only one who needs help the mother also needs help. IF they take the child into foster care they are defeating their purpose. Yes it may make the child loose weight, but what happens when he gets home. They need to help the entire family in these cases. Actually I think that is a major problem with social services, they don't help the entire family. They are trying to help the kid, but he will be right back where he started once he gets home, if they do take him. I pray that they get help for these people, they have a long and painful road to travel.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 am

I agree. What he needs is Rehab. A place where they can withdraw him off fatty foods (slowly). He might complain, cry, scream bloody murder but he will get over it. I agree that the entire Family especially the Mother needs HELP.

Offer Programs for her to take Parenting Classes to learn how to be FIRM with her Son. Learn to say NO when he ask for more Food. Offer Services such as Dietican for the Mother to take classes on how to manage foods better and more healthier.

I agree with you, once they put him in Foster Care and when he does lose weight and goes back to the Family without HELP, will go back where they had started before. :roll: The Mother needs HELP, not vindication.

I was in the same way as her but I CHANGED the MENU, and I put my foot down, be FIRM and say NO to FAST FOODS> I introduced HEALTHY foods such as Vegetables, Fruits and other stuff and add good Meats. It is all about Managing your foods and learn how to be a good Parent by providing nutrious foods. I went and talked with a Dietican. The Doctors had found out that my child has hereditary genes. Husky bones and all that. Most of the Relatives has that. Husky bones, and does not necessary means Obseity. Just heavier bones.

I agree that this Boy needs to be tested to outroot the other problem like you mentioned, it could be a Disease. He needs to go to a Hospital and get Medical tests to see if it is a Disease or just Obseity Problem.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:15 pm

Please Don't Feed the Children
February 26, 2007
Child protectors in England have the perfect cure for an overweight boy — take away his mother! In 2000 child protectors in New Mexico seized three-year-old Anamarie Martinez-Regino from her parents for obesity, but gave her back a few months later after a public outcry. The current case appears to be an unmarried mother, so the outcome is unpredictable.

Is it possible the bean-counters have been working overtime on this? Putting obese children on half-rations, while collecting full foster care rates from the treasury, could ratchet up their profits reimbursement.

expand
collapse
Last Updated: Tuesday, 27 February 2007, 04:06 GMT

Fourteen stone child 'risks care'

Connor prefers to eat processed foods
An eight-year-old boy who weighs over 14 stone (89kg) may be taken into care by a local authority.

Connor McCreaddie, from Wallsend, North Tyneside, has lost a stone and a half in two months, but still prefers processed food to fruit and vegetables.

His mother, Nicola McKeown, has been called to a child protection conference with the local authority on Tuesday.

Family support may be offered, but the last resort would be for North Tyneside officials to place Connor into care.

Connor's pre-Christmas weight of 15 stones and eight pounds (98.8kg) is four times the weight of a healthy child of his age.

He has lost weight after beginning an intensive exercise regime and introducing some healthy food into his diet.

The eight-year-old does have a bike and a trampoline which he uses, but he has to stop after around 10 minutes because he becomes out of breath and can vomit.

He has difficulty dressing and washing himself, misses school regularly because of poor health and is a target for bullies.

Confident

Ms McKeown, 35, told the BBC: "Connor had a mouthful of apple once and he didn't like it.

"He refuses to eat fruit, vegetables and salads - he has processed foods.

"When Connor won't eat anything else, I've got to give him the foods he likes.

"I can't starve him.

"But I'm confident I can get his weight down with a bit of help."

Ms McKeown denied she is neglecting her son, and said he would be "skinny" if she had been.

She said she had seen doctors, but no-one had actually stepped in to offer her help.

She said that taking Connor into care would be "disastrous".

His story was due to be featured in ITV's Tonight With Trevor McDonald, which followed Connor and his mother for a month.

Child's interests 'paramount'

Dr Colin Waine, chairman of the National Obesity Forum, said that removing a child from their family could be justified.

"The long-term impacts of this child's gross obesity are frightening.

"He has great risk of diabetes and coronary illness.

"His life expectancy is severely prejudiced. So action is required if his health is to be safeguarded."

A spokeswoman for North Tyneside Council and North Tyneside Primary Care Trust, said: "We share the concerns over the child's health and well-being.

"We have been working with the family over a prolonged period of time and will continue to do so.

"The child's interests are paramount."

Source: website of BBC

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:19 am

i have an opinion on this.
ruling out that it is not some sort of disease that causes him to gain weight the way he does, then intervention is the key, not removal.
the mother is not firm with her son, if she tells him that he has to eat it or starve, eventually he will eat it. what child would not like to eat processed foods all the time? what child would not like to be given into on a whim? it is up to us parents to step forward and shape our children.
do i think that obesity is genetic? yes, i am living proof of that, but as a parent i have decided to change this. we are an example to our children, good or bad the kids learn from us. be it our eating habits or our parenting skills, they learn from us. they may choose to emulate us or totally go against what we have taught them. i have decided that i want to be healthier, so i have been working and dieting (somewhat) for 8 months, i have lost 61 pounds and feel great. i was extremely obese, now i am only somewhat obese. i have 57 more pounds to meet my ideal weight.
all i am saying it is up to the mother to change this behavior, at 8 y/o the son should not control his diet. but i do not feel that a child's obesity should be grounds for removal. obesity is a disease and needs to be treated like a disease, not as a cosmetic problem. the disease is never cured and it will not change overnight without some intervention it may not be curved either. it just sounds to me that cps have found something else to use for the removal of children.

Return to “In the News”