State Inspector General

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

MaggieC

State Inspector General

Postby MaggieC » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Has anyone on this board ever contacted his/her state Inspector General? It is their job to oversee state employees' actions (or inactions). At the very least, in the cases where a "service plan" has been initiated and when the CPS worker fails to arrange services in a timely fashion and that inaction causes harm, that would be, in my humble opinion, the time to contact your state's Inspector General. That official would put the state agency on notice -or at least should do so.

I have had success in contacting the Florida Inspector General in a work-related endeavor in the past.

Please keep this in mind.

Also, as I am learning here-I would like to know if anyone has ever contacted his/her state Inspector General and what the outcome was.

I appreciate all replies.

Many thanks.

LanceBabe

Postby LanceBabe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:57 am

I have not, but I may very well be doing so before long. I've been told by the counseling worker who provides home-based services for my daughter that this entire case is not being handled properly by CPS. She also told me yesterday that she has talked to her supervisor about it and he agrees. Not sure that they can do anything about it, though, so I'm trying to figure out who to go to about it.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm

I did for my home state (We are military) and got no response. The only politicans that gave a REAL response was the gov. office of VA (the state we were living in) I cant remember if I sent one to the IG for VA or not. But probably did.

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 am

i contacted our state's attorney general office, i got a generic letter about the situation. the odd thing is that they made a mistake and attacked another letter addressed to another woman going through a similar thing. i thought it was really unprofessional for that to happen.
i also wrote a panel of juvenile judges who are on a board for improving child protection case plans and procedures. the kicker here was they said they could not review the case it was against policy. so tell me, how do they improve the case plans and reunification plans if they can not review the cases they are associated with.
the only offices to help were the governors offices and Jim Martin's office. no one wanted to get involved, but those two offices were able to get a fire lit under them. i had responses within days of them getting phone calls. it did take two letters from the governors office, but it worked and brought our case to fast a close afterwards.

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:35 am

If the Inspector General is something like the Attorney General, then I have a vague idea of what they do.

If a citizen has an issue with a business, as an employee or customer, then they can play one role. For example, in one state the termite companies were scamming people and there was a pattern of abuse. So the Attorney General filed a lawsuit on behalf of the citizens, as the termite company had businesses in a lot of localities.

Here is one example that comes up on a web search.

http://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/rele ... =1&id=1746

But if a citizen has an issue with a govt. agency, then the Attorney General represents the govt., not the citizens. That is why they the position is called "Attorney." This is confirmed in the Wikipedia article on "attorney general."

So I don't know how effective a complaint would be on child welfare issues.

If you do a web search of "attorney general" + "child protection," then you can see dozens of links that show that they are working in connection with each other.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:53 pm

An Inspector General investigates wrong doing by a state agency.

cambreenellie

Postby cambreenellie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I just contacted my inspector general via an internet complaint and hopefully something would come out of it.

Thanks very much for bringing it up as it sounds like it could be very promising.

I will let everyone know what I find out but I'm imagining I probably won't hear anything for a couple weeks.

Return to “Round Table”