Do relatives get paid by CPS while child is detained?

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

salman501

Do relatives get paid by CPS while child is detained?

Postby salman501 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 pm

I wanted to know if relatives get paid to take custody of your child as opposed to foster parents in california. What amount does CPS gives to relatives if any to take care of child while case is in Juvenile court.

Thanks

Socialworker

Postby Socialworker » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:43 pm

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/cyf/kinshiphigh.htm

Look at this part: SUBSIDIZED GUARDIANSHIP, KINSHIP FOSTER CARE AND OTHER CAREGIVER SUBSIDIES AND SUPPORTS

It looks like they have some kind of program set up, for "kinship foster care" which is what you're describing. How it works I don't know, but it does look like there is a support of some kind set up.

Marina

Postby Marina » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:48 am

It depends on whether it is a guardianship /custodial arrangement or relative foster care.

It also depends on the state laws.

Where the parent still has legal custody, the relative caregivers who have physical custody, under private guardianship or temporary guardianship, can get TANF. They may also get other welfare benefits, such as child care and food stamps. In some states this arrangement would pull the child out from under a foster care plan, with its time limits on permanency. A court in VA ruled on this last year.

In a relative foster care arrangement, the state has legal custody, and the relatives, as foster parents, would get the same subsidies as other foster parents. This would be double if the child had special needs, as defined in that state. Search you state gov. site for Title IV-E policy manual, but it is around $400 for a normal child, and twice that or more for a special needs child. That is why they put them on psych meds.

See Child Welfare Information Gateway, State Statutes search, under "out of home care."

Some, but not all, states have kinship care programs for a limited number of cases. This is a cross between guardianship and foster care. It is like subsidized guardianship, which brings certain conditions on the arrangement. Perhaps court supervision, home visits, minimum screening for caregivers, etc. You have to look up details for each state.

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:27 am

i have custody of my niece and have had it for almost 6 years. in 2003, an agreement was reached in a lawsuit that relatives in Georgia would receive money. at first there were only one type which was RELATIVE SUBSTANCY CARE which was $12 per child per day, now they have ENHANCED RELATIVE SUBSTANCY CARE, which is a per diem per month based on age. it is round about $400-$450 based on age. it is approximately one half what foster parents are paid.
before this was offered, all a relative could get was child support or TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and medicaid.

the catch is in order to get it in georgia, is dfacs had to place them with you while they are in custody of dfacs or they have to transfer custody over to you. the only stipulation i have is for them to visit me once a year to look at my niece's room and living conditions and fill out a form. it has not been any hassle. the money helps, but by no means does it raise a child.
on a different note, i know a family who is a foster family. they normall take in 3-4 children at a time, they receive approx. $800-$900 per child, that is alot of money when you think about the cost of living in south georgia or anywhere for that matter. another fostermom i know plays the lottery like an addiction, she doesnt work and takes in 4-5 foster kids at one time all teenagers becuase she likes to come and go as she pleases and she doesnt follow the guidelines given to her. for one, allowing fosterchildren to spend the night away from home, she has to have the home looked into, she just lets them come and go as they please.
do you see the problem with someone else taking care of your children? how does the state make a representation that they are able to take better care of your children than you are? on the paperwork i received it stated that they (the department of family and children services) could provide better supervision, better medical care and better moral upbringing than i could. (bullshit) and i was able to call them on it when i was able to take the stand the day i got my kids back, 36 days after being taken. it took me that long to get all the dirt i could on them. i put their system on trail is how my attorney did it. as marina said i had more paperwork than they did...

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 pm

From what I understand, kinship care payments vary from state to state.

I have spoken to foster parents in my state (no kin to the children) who do live solely on those state payments. This is their "job". They take in as many children as OCFS (NY State Dept of Children and Families) will give them.

One bragged to me that it is a very easy way to make a lot of money without doing any work and also suggested that I look into it myself!

I declined her very "kind" suggestion.

As a sidebar, I remember when I was young (and that was quite a long time ago), there was an instance whereby a large family without any close relatives nearby suffered a great loss. The father of the family met with a freak accident. These people were poor. I think there might have been 7 or 8 children in the family.

This was the late 1950s.

The neighbors did a "whip around" that means that they started a telephone chain and called everyone they knew to take the children on a temporary basis. My mother and father took in two of the children. My aunt took in another and so on.

Why did my parents and my aunt and other neighbors step in to care for these children with no payment whatsoever-because, my parents and aunt and the neighbors remembered the great depression when social services stepped in and removed children from their families. The neighbors banded together to prevent these children from going into care.

I remember the two little girls who came to our apartment and shared my room. They were older than me by a few years (I was about 5 years old) and were very sweet.

In the end the widowed mother and her children were re-united (and she didn't have to jump through any hoops to accomplishment this) and carried on with their lives.

I don't recall my parents or my aunt or any of the neighbors making much of this, they did what neighbors did to help each other without any government interferance.

Again, just a sidebar.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Kat-

The doctrine of parens patriae-

To Quote Black's Law Dictionary-

"Term refers traditonally to the role of state as sovereign and guardians under legal disability.

This use of power to deprive a person of freedom has been limited by recent laws and decisions."

As to more paper than the other side has-you and Marina are absolutely correct -he who has the most paper wins.

This is the rule of evidence that states-

preponderance of the evidence

n. the greater weight of the evidence required in a civil (non-criminal) lawsuit for the trier of fact (jury or judge without a jury) to decide in favor of one side or the other. This preponderance is based on the more convincing evidence and its probable truth or accuracy, and not on the amount of evidence. Thus, one clearly knowledgeable witness may provide a preponderance of evidence over a dozen witnesses with hazy testimony, or a signed agreement with definite terms may outweigh opinions or speculation about what the parties intended.

The social workers usually get by in the initial stages by bullying their way about without any regard for the law and are usually shot down by those who use the law to defend themselves.

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:55 pm

MaggieC wrote:The neighbors did a "whip around" that means that they started a telephone chain and called everyone they knew to take the children on a temporary basis. My mother and father took in two of the children. My aunt took in another and so on.

I don't recall my parents or my aunt or any of the neighbors making much of this, they did what neighbors did to help each other without any government interferance.

Maggie,

This is where "It takes a Village to raise a child" came into play.

My grandmother and mother would tell me stories of a German immigrant family that lived up the road from them. Everyday at 5pm the kids from that household were expected to be in the house and sitting at the table for dinner. NO EXCEPTIONS. When they werent, the father would go paddle in hand to the area where all the kids played. Every kid he caught got a swat, whether it was his kid or not.

I asked my grandmother if parents freaked out and went on a vengence for this man swatting their kids. She replied HECK NO!!! The reason why? Dinner at 5 with the family was expected of all the families in those days, and those parents would be out there doing the same thing, and Mr X was actually doing them a favor.

No one ever called the cops, these were all good families of doctors, lawyers and polticians in the neighborhood. It was never an issue. Everyone watched out for each other and each others families.

When we were growing up, whenever there was an issue much like the death in the family as you mentioned, all of our neighbors banded together and took care of the other families needs, taking care of kids, bringing food dishes, mowing lawns, taking care of pets ect. There were many elderly people in the area that families would take turns bringing them food, cleaning their homes ect. (My sister and I cleaned the home of a 90 year old woman for YEARS on a weekly basis) and no money or anything of monetary value was ever taken for these services. When my parents were building our house in the 70's, EVERYONE on the street showed up to help without ever accepting a payment.

The person that turned me into CPS for leaving my kids home alone, was the same neighbor that while my husband was in Iraq and my youngest son had to go to the hospital for emergency O2 treatments "didnt really want to' watch my older kids so I could go to the ER with my son, and even stated that she didnt really feel like watching just the house so the kids could keep sleeping. BUT before that when she was pregnant she begged neighbors to watch her kids, clean her house ect in which I was one of the people that would always help her. Go figure.

Now Billary turned that saying around to mean "It takes a government to raise a child" and foolish people have bought into it hook line and sinker and recently wanted this communist as president. She might not have gotten the nomination this time around, but its next time that worries me.

What is even scarier is the change in attitude of society to think that not helping out neighbors and friends is the way to go. What a selfish country we live in!

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi Mom,
It is always such a pleasure to "talk" with you. I'm fortunate in that my neighborhood is pretty much the way it was when I was young. The neighbors here for the very most part do help each other.

I still have to live with Hill (agh, I always saw her as a carpetbagger coming to NY).

Return to “Round Table”