HOW LONG

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

g509

HOW LONG

Postby g509 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:13 am

JUST WONDERING WHO OR WHAT DECIDES HOW LONG CPS IN INVOLVED IN OR ON YOUR CASE. MY CASE HAS BEEN OPEN SINCE JANURARY AND I AM A LITTLE STRESSED SO ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 am

i can only speak for georgia and how the process is suppose to take place.

cps is called, depending on the call you either only need services or your children are taken.

the process for the two are suppose to be the same if the court gets involved, in georgia most cases where the children are not taken the courts do not get involved.

if your children are taken, you have a 72 hr hearing, the judge hears information from cps and you. you are allowed an attorney , but in most cases you do not have time to get one.
approx two weeks later you have an ajudicatory hearing, "facts" are suppose to heard on both sides. this is the hearing to decide if, when or ever you get you kids back. if found "guilty" here, you do not get to defend yourself anymore. after this the hearing become hearings to just check on the information. after a year, cps has to petition for an extention. if you have just been in court for services, again the petition has to be refiled before the expiration date of the orginal court order. if they apply after the date, they have to file new allegation against, if they do not have new ones the court order is normally not granted. (this is what happened in my case).

for just services, each case is reviewed every 90 days with a new caseplan. caseplans for children removed are for 180 days.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:15 am

A lot of it may depend upon what you signed or what a court may have ordered.
What sort of paperwork do you have?

g509

Postby g509 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:00 am

Well we have only been to court like 3 times and the judge in this county does not want to decide on anything but he stated in the 1st and 2nd court that this was not a neglect issue however that is what CPS is charging me with. Now tomorrow we go back and have a team meeting to see where we are and what needs to be done. My family and I are already 10 flipping months into this BS so I am a little tired and would love for it to be over soon so my husband can return home since CPS will now not let him come home!!!! Its all BS and hope for something good to come out of tomorrow.

Marina

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:10 am

Marina

Postby Marina » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:12 am

This sounds like one of those endless safety plans.

Here are some links explaining this.

http://fightcps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7835

Momoffor

Postby Momoffor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:40 am

seems to me like they stick around until either they drop the ball and the case times out, they feel like it, or until they are forced to close it and get out of your lives.

In my scenario, they were forced to close the case. They had all intentions of keeping it open and starting new 'stuff'. Documentation and proof in a letter to the ombudsman who launched an investigation is what made them close my case.

Return to “Round Table”