Taxes

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

cambreenellie

Taxes

Postby cambreenellie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:29 am

Who gets to claim the kids on their taxes, me or the foster parents?

Kids lived with foster parents from April 16 to December 19. Is there even such a thing of the foster parents claiming kids on their taxes?

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:05 am

who ever had the kids 6 months out of the year. Yes I think the foster parents can claim them if they had legal physical custody of the kids for 6 mos out of the year. I would call the irs or go to irs.gov and look it up just to be sure though. Have they been with the same fp for the whole time?

cambreenellie

Postby cambreenellie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:05 pm

That's a shame because I use that to do extra things with the kids.

It's even more of a shame that the foster parents didn't supply anything but shelter and feed them on Sundays (the only day I didn't have my kids)

Oddly the foster parents think I don't have enough money to feed my kids but will turn around and take at least $6,000 from me.

debbiescalese

Postby debbiescalese » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:46 pm

See that is why I would ask the irs not the social worker. Since your providing them with most things not them it might be different. Usually like for divorce situations it has to either be in a court order that the ncp can claim them or it is whoever has them more than half the year. Seriously call them and ask whoever does your taxes. If the foster parents do claim them than you claim them they will get the money. If you claim them first then you would get the money but stand a chance of having to pay that money back if they had the legal right to claim them. The first one their gets the money but it is a question of if you'd have to pay the irs back or not.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:36 pm

If the parents are paying child support to the state, then they can be claimed on taxes as child support.

Talk with your accountant.

To my knowledge, the foster parents may NOT claim them as dependents as the foster parents are paid caretakers.

In fact, just ruminating here, the foster parents may need to report their earnings from the state as taxable income.

cambreenellie

Postby cambreenellie » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:06 pm

LOL unfortunately I know all to well about getting taxes done before someone else claims the kids.

My children's father pulled this every year. He has paid no support or anything but yet he always beat me to getting taxes done. I still claimed the kids on my taxes but after several years the IRS finally realized what was going on and mailed us both letters and said we had to prove where the kids lived. Needless to say my ex doesn't get a refund for years because of all the money he owes.

cambreenellie

Postby cambreenellie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm

This is truly sad!!!!

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,, ... 98,00.html

The foster parents got paid good to put a roof over my kids heads. I do take in account that they have done something but come on this is just more money for the foster mom to get her weekly pedicures and manicures. Mean while I struggle to make ends meet and won't have the extra funds to do anything with the kids this year. Yet again the kids suffer.

I will for sure complain to everyone and their mothers to keep theses foster parents from ever taking in a child again.

eyeq181

Postby eyeq181 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:24 am

Yep it all is bad. They leave you you with an income that will leave you standing in a food bank line.

My husband and I went to go and see if we could get on food stamps. They laughed at us. My husbands income before insurance and child support is insaine. We lost everything. And even gained out first evection. We have lost alot of nice furniture and closed out our retirement 2 times in 2 years. We went from $3200 over all debt we this all started with a $88,000+ income to $440,126.80 is our new debt, and my husbands income got cut in half becuase of visit times and court. No joke. This is unreal.

They take your kids
They take your money
They lie to you and everyone else
And send you off to therapy.
Parents spend so much time teaching our kids not to go with strangers or talk to strangers, and no to show your body to strangers. And this is what CPS-DHS is all about.

katgotsteve

Postby katgotsteve » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 am

if you read the irs website or i have in the past, foster children have to reside with foster parents the entire year, a 12 month time in order to claim the child.

look it up, i am sure that is the same as every year.

Return to “Round Table”