Questions for Newcomers

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Marina

Questions for Newcomers

Postby Marina » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:56 am

Questions for Newcomers

Agency

Here is an outline to follow when describing your situation, if it is hard to know where to start.

This outline is for CPS Record-keeping, but the list applies to parents also, and will help newcomers organize their thoughts in order to write them down. It will also help readers of this forum to share information or experiences which may help newcomers.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/userma ... s/cpsl.cfm

1. Report:
Information about the nature and extent of the referral or report;
identify demographic data on the child, family, and significant others;
and the response of the agency to the referral.

2. Contacts:
A record of all dates and length of contacts,
including in-person and telephone interviews with all family members,
collateral sources,
and multidisciplinary team,
as well as the location and purposes of these contacts.

3. Confidentiality:

4. Initial Assessment:
Information about the initial assessment,
including documentation of what may have already occurred
(e.g., the report of alleged child maltreatment),
as well as the assessment of the risk to
and safety of the child.

5. Diagnostic procedures:
Information about any diagnostic procedures that may have been part of the initial assessment
(e.g., medical evaluations, x-rays, or other medical tests;
psychological evaluations;
and alcohol or drug assessments).

6. Initial decisions:
Clear documentation of initial decisions with respect to substantiation of
the alleged maltreatment,
risk assessment
and safety evaluation,
basis for any placement in out-of-home care
or court referral (if necessary),
and reasons for continued agency involvement
or for terminating services.

7. Safety plan:
The safety plan, if one was developed,
and documentation of referrals to other programs, agencies, or persons who will participate in the implementation of the safety plan.

8. Family Assessment:
A record of the family assessment (including risks and strengths)
and a delineation of the treatment and intervention needs of the child, caregivers, and the family.

9. Court involvement:
A description of any criminal, juvenile, or family court involvement
and the status of any pending legal action in which the client may be involved.

10. Case plan:
The case plan with specific measurable goals,
as well as a description of the process used to develop the plan.

11. Intervention outcomes:
Specification of the intervention outcomes, which, if achieved, will reduce the risks and address the effects of maltreatment.
These intervention outcomes should lead to the achievement of child safety, permanency, and child and family well-being.

12. Case activities and outcomes:
Documentation of the case activities and their outcomes,
including information from all community practitioners providing intervention or treatment
(written reports should be requested from all providers)
and information about the family's response to intervention and treatment.

13. Progress:
Information about the progress toward the achievement of outcomes,
completion of case plans,
risk reduction process,
and reunification of children with their families
or other permanency options.

14. Information provided to the court:
Information provided to the court, if court involvement was necessary.

15. Case-closing
Inclusion of a case-closing summary that describes:
- outline summarizing the original reason for referral;
- process of closure with the family;
- outcomes and goals established with the family;
- nature of the services provided and the activities undertaken by the various practitioners and the family;
- description about the level of progress accomplished with respect to outcomes and goals;
- summary of any new reports of maltreatment that may have occurred during intervention;
- assessment of risk and safety as it now exists;
- problems or goals that remain unresolved or unaccomplished;
- reasons for closing the case.
Courts

Here is an outline for Legal and Judicial issues

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/userma ... ppende.cfm
Last edited by Marina on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:09 pm

Alot of Newcomers would ask questions about:

Adjudication Hearing

Disposition Hearing

Dependency Hearing

I have trouble myself, but I put these in order in order to understand. lol first, second and third steps. Oh don't forget the last one, Permancy Hearing.

There are alot of terms that just makes it more confusing.

This one I like best is:

Renuification Plan: It is a Step to bring your Children back home in order to do your Services.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:05 pm

You are right.
Here is the link for that.

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/userma ... erfour.cfm

The Petition for Removal
The Initial Hearing
The Adjudication Hearing
The Disposition Hearing
Review Hearings
The Permanency Hearing
Termination of Parental Rights
Adoptions
Appeals

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:03 am

Here is another good list to go by:

Child Protective Services: A Guide for Caseworkers

http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/userma ... /index.cfm

5 - Intake

6 - Initial Assessment or Investigation

7 - Family Assessment

8 - Case Planning

9 - Service Provision

10 - Family Progress

11 - Case Closure

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:08 am

My opinion on Case Planning, that is the worst stage to go into, in my opinion. Because they will decide whether it goes to TPR or Renuficiation Plan. With that being attached, they offer Services in this time.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

anxiousmom

Postby anxiousmom » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Or in my case with the case planning....originally "reunification" was the plan, but I always felt they were just trying to/had intentions of just trying to switch custody of the kids from me to my estranged husb.

Then....in only 4 mos. of working with me they said they were going to reccommend the kids be palced with their dad & that they be removed. They were like "You'll still get the kids on the weekends".....like it should be NO big deal to me as their Mom!

Oh, and they also said "Whoever gets the kids will get the house" like they were planning on seeing to it that my estranged husb. got custody & the house.

Their final recommendation to the judge was for them to be removed from the case, for my estranged husb. to get custody & for there to be to be NO TPR & for me to get the kids on the weekends.

They KNEW full well that no jury or judge would terminate my parental rights. That was never an issue. So, instead they just wanted to switch the kids from me to their dad.

yellernboyz

Postby yellernboyz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:12 am

DO YOU HAVE TO SIGN A VOLUNTARY AGREEMENT FOR SERVICES? MY ATTORNEY SAYS TO SIGN AND EVERYWHERE I READ ABOUT THIS SAY ONLY DO WITH COURT ORDER.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Do not sign. Our daughter did not sign. Her attorney wanted her to but, a former cps lawyer told him she would be signing her and her child's life away. It took her nine months to get her daughter back.

What got her into this mess was signing a nice little agreement. She thought it was okay because they did not take the child, but what she didn't know was that they were setting a trap for her and two years later they took our granddaughter.

Do you still have your child/ren or are they in cps custody?

If you still have your children they have to have a court order to take them. If they are in cps custody do not sign anything for them.
This is not legal advice;hopefully wisdom

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.
http://themurkynews.blogspot.com/ MattTwoFour

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

yellernboyz

Postby yellernboyz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:57 pm

WHAT IF YOU ALREADY SIGNED THE AGREEMENT? CAN YOU RECIND YOUR SIGNATURE, AND MAKE THEM TAKE YOU TO COURT TO HAVE THESE SERVICES COURT ORDERED? IT HAD BEEN 5 MONTHS, AND THEY ARE NOT DOING THEIR PART. I HAD ONE UNSUPERVISED VISIT, THEN MY CASEWORKER WENT ON VACATION. OR MY FILL IN CASEWORKER, CAUSE THE LAST ONE QUIT. THIS IS #5

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Yes you can rescind your signature, and however, I am not sure, there are rescinding forms posted (maybe under CPS Investigations Board or Research Board, or Legal Boards, but I am sure it is on TOP (part of sticky) boards. I had seen one not a long ago. You can use those forms and apply accordingly.

yellernboyz

Postby yellernboyz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:46 pm

I AM GETTING SO FRUSTURATED HERE. 5 MONTHS HAVE DRAGGED ON, I HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING BACK FROM MY LEGISLATORS, NO ONE WANTS TO PICK UP THIS STORY.(SMALL TOWN) PEOPLE KNOW PEOPLE HERE. I AM WILLING TO GO PUBLIC TO FIGHT CPS BUT NO ONE CARES. I MEAN MY CASEWORKER DIDN'T CARE THAT I MISSED A VISIT BECAUSE SHE WENT ON VACATION AND FORGOT TO SCHEDULE IT. I FEEL LIKE GOING DOWN AND STANDING IN THEIR OFFICE DEMANDING MY KIDS BACK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:55 pm

Do you have a Lawyer? You can tell him to do something about it.

CPS are famous for postponing things, they love to do these kinds of things so the fundings can keep flowing right in, it is like their baby which are the money. (show me the money).

5 months, which means you should be approached to have 6 months Hearing. It should be upcoming fairly soon.

You got to make sure you have everything in writing, keep a journal full of details, Place, location, dates, her name and her neglience for scheduling you for visits, while she is on vacation.

Did you address your concerns with her Supervisor? Again, you have to have to get all of these in writing. Write a letter to the Supervisor detailing how the worker went on vacation and did not schedule you a visitation appointment. Keep a Log book of all visitation and have the worker sign it, so it will show that the visitation did take place on that date and time. If she was late bringing the kid to the visitation center, write down the time etc...etc...

Just keep everything detailed and in writing, with anything even right down to recipts. Yes even gas receipts to show that you had attempted to go to visit your child. Everything. Write a letter confirming that this is the visitation appointment IN ADVANCE so this way the worker will have a hard time to pull a fast trick on you, such as cancelling visitation or whatnots.

CPS don't like documents, they don't like proof, so you should do anything to have concrete proof of all of their corruption.

Most of all, bring Witnesses with you to the Visitation center, so they can testify that you did in fact attend, and even witness that worker is either cancelling visitation, or not scheduling the appointments.

nickerdew

To go back in time?

Postby nickerdew » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:33 pm

Does anyone know how or even IF I can go back and make a complaint or get it on record that the time they stole my kids I was given false info from the social worker and court appointetd attorney which resulted in me agreeing to what they wanted from me in order to get my children home where they belong?
And does anyone know if I send my kids to live with a relative after the new allegations have been deemed unfounded if I need to do anything further ensure the safety of my daughter so she can not be taken into foster care?

God Bless you ALL and God does have a very special place for those who harm children... that includes social workers!

torrie

Re: Questions for Newcomers

Postby torrie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:46 am

My sister is currently trying to appeal the Indiana cps office in warrick county.
They are charging her with environmental endangering for taking her grandchildren to
visit their parents.We live in Ky and the childrens parents were going to pick the kiids up,
take them to Ind for an extended stay.Which she did not feel was in the childrens best interest
due to the parents past involvement in illegal activity.While she was
getting the kids ready to leave to return to Ky the house was raided.Apparently the parents had been
involved in robberies,drugs none of which any of us knew about.We hired a lawyer to appeal cps decision
So far all we have gotten out of him is that cps is having a large turnover of employees and
they just ignore all correspondence from his office. What can we do as it seems more each day
he is doing nothing? My sister saw no drugs nor knew anything about what they were involved in.
Her one grandaughter has been raised by my sister since she was 2
weeks old.This has destroyed my sister,her husband who gave these babies a wonderful home.
And no other family members on our side can see them.They have been placed with the
grandparents on the other side of family who rarely ever saw them,seem to dislike us for
some reason.Any help or suggestions would be ever so appreciated. thank you

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:21 am

Question: 1. Did cps take the grandchildren away from the parents and turn them over to the custody of the grandparents ? That is the way I am understanding your post.

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:50 pm

This is the way I see it.

If cps gave the grandparents custody then it should have been stipulated that the parents had visitation rights and also whether the children could go out of state if it was stipulated for visitation. If there was no stipulation then your sister could possibly lose the grandchildren.

Whether your sister knew it or not cps doesn't care.

Another game they play is this; Grandparents win custody rights and they let the grandparents alone for awhile but, are all the time watching for them to slip up so they can press charges against them and be able to foster the children out so they can get federal monies. It looks to me like this could be the case.

You can write the Ombudsman of that state. Here is a link to it
http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/51506.pdf

This next link is not to promising because of who they put in the Ombudsmans position. However, it is worth a try.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/ ... 80357.html

You need to find a lawyer who knows grandparent's rights.

Newsmage

Postby Newsmage » Sun May 30, 2010 6:56 pm

Hello, I am a communications student who was asked to do a News Story on Child Protection Services. I tried to go to the New Comers board but it was locked. Can anyone give me advice on going forward with my News Investigation piece on Child Protection? I currently live in Idaho, I don't know if I am violating rules of the board or not. I was just hoping to get someone to talk to me about these things who live in Idaho. I already am looking into one case here in Idaho, a mom, who wanted me to look into Idaho CPS, hoping to make it a wider story.

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:23 pm

I would be happy to speak with you however I reside in NY. If that is okay, that is, my not being abreast of Idaho law, then please send a prviate message to me.

DMW96

Postby DMW96 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm

My story, really grieve, is about Cumberland County DSS. These “great” social workers seem to think they have the power to do and say anything. My family has been through hell since around September of last year. The father (a criminal and an known abuser) and several others made false allegations about domestic violence & abuse of the kids. They were made just about every month, and every month they investigated, and found no findings. The social workers, after numerous complaints from us, said they would try to find a way to resolve all problems. We cooperated with them, their family team meetings, and any other things asked. This year, my family was accused again of another alleagation of domestic violence, and a relative coached the kids to leave the home with a complete stranger, and took the kids to DSS. DSS didn’t find that the least bit strange, even though the relative was known to DSS as a person that they stated as a “person who has stirred up much drama”. The kids were taken out of our home, and they claimed they were going to do another investigation. Instead, they file a petition, that had various false statements. Now, mind you, they never found anything, but now in the petition, there was so much happenning in past months. We have had nothing but uncooperation when it comes to them. The social worker has been telling every party, that now is involved, different things, defaming our character as parents to others in the family. They claimed we can see our children whenever we want. but the family that they were placed with has been giving us a hard time, because the were the people we were having issues with before all this started. The social worker has not done anything to aid or assit us in getting our kids back. Oh, they did finally give us a case management plan, 2 months after filing the petition, which we already went out, on our wn might I add, and did couseling for ourselves and children before they even gave us our “plan”. Still, the father, who is still commtting crimes, harassing me, is still emotionallu abusing the children, nothing is done. He burned my children, while he was making all these false allegations, and nothing was done by social workers. The real culprits go unpunished, while my family is under the gun for domestic violence and emotional abuse. Oh, I moght add, the social worker never saw bruises or marks on my children or I from any “violence”. She signed off and said that all allegations were unfounded, now social workers are saying they did find somehting and “forgot to put in the report”. It has been on thing after another with these people. My husband is suppose to be so awful and I am a victim in need of their help, but they weren’t saying that before. DSS does no put the welfare of the children at heart, and reunification is not their goal. They actually have ruined mine and showed me that outside family members are very much not needed in my family.

need help, REAL hELP! The DSS in my county is really trying to railroad my family. I talked to a SW today, and she made some interesting comments. First, she wants my husband and I to attend marriage couseling, She claims that it was recommended, but in the case plan they gave us, that we signed, has not mention of marital couseling, just domestic violence counseling (which we didn’t need, but did anyway to prove to them). Second, she make a statement about an incident that was NOT in any report and was NOT listed as any allegation made against us. I argued with this “concerned SW” for 30 minutes! She was bery rude, arrogant, and mention just plain disrespectful. She told that me basically being in fear of my life from the father of two of my children, was little concern to her, and the fact he told my children that he was basically stalking me and riding pass my house was not revelant to the case. It is indeed revelant because he is one of the individuals who made false allegations against me to begin with. It goes to prove his character. She said,” it is a public street, and anyone can ride past my house”. Whoa, so if this man decides the SW aren’t in his favor, or he feels that I must die, it is ok, right? I have posted part of story on the blog (which it is more to it), and now it has gone to far! I need help or to shed light on this nonsense that is taking place. PLEASE HELP ME OR GUIDE ME TO SOMEONE WHO WILL! :|

jlvandermark

Postby jlvandermark » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:42 am

My children were taken December 31, 2009 as a result of a domestic dispute between me and the man I was dating. The children were not present at the time of the dispute but were present for an assault the previous year. The woman who gave birth to me is the one who called them (some would call her mother I call her Linda). She had been requesting that I give her custody of my two older children and told me she would let me and my boyfriend take that child we have together and leave however when I refused to give her custody she involved CPS who then removed all three children. I have been working my case plan but because I have contact with this man CPS is now saying that they are not going to recommend that I get my children back. "Linda" has been sending me text messages calling me "crackhead". She has sent texts stating "you may have a bachelor's degree but I'm raising your kids...mommy NOT!" She has also stated that she is going to put my son up for adoption. I took all of this to my attorney and was told to let it go. The harrasment kept up and I finally left a nasty voicemail on her phone and she pressed charges against me for harrasment. Since pressing the charges she has been following me around taking pictures of me for CPS. They are now saying that my sons father (the man I had the dispute with) and I are no longer allowed any communication or they are not going to give my children back. I am allowed contact with my older childrens father but not my sons (mind you the children were removed in 2006 when I was with my older childrens father for domestic violence in the home). So it doesn't make much since. My ex (my older childrens father) is an alcoholic and drug user with no home or job and is getting off site visits. I on the other hand am getting nothing and they are stating that this is because there is a strained relationship between me and the kinship placement. In 2006 Linda was against the older childrens father because he was abusive and addicted to drugs and alcohol and testified that I was a great mother and deserved to have my children. She is now trying to say that I am unfit and the older childrens father is the most fit parent (this is because she does not like my sons father at all). I am not allowed to see my children for holidays, birthdays, nothing but their father is allowed to have them when he wants. Please keep in mind that my ex just recently got out of prison for trafficking in drugs and has a record a mile long but none of that seems to be a factor in anything they are stating that I am the only one they are not happy with because I choose violent men. They want me to go to domestic violence counseling, mental health counseling, a psychiatrist, substance abuse counseling because there were accusations of drug use (I have not failed a drug test), keep housing, and keep employment. This is almost impossible since my day off from my job is Wednesday and I work 46+ hours a week. I feel like I am being persecuted and wanted to know what are my rights as the parent?jlvandermark

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 pm

Please post this in the Newcomers section and start a new thread.

This section is like an announcement. The first postings in a section that look different are sticky notes.

sharonmann0303

Postby sharonmann0303 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm

I am 25 years old and have 3 three amazing kids aging 1, 5, and 6. I recentally had them removed from my care by CPS and i am about to go crazy not knowing what to do legally and I beleive my rights have been violated.

marlon357

Postby marlon357 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 pm

GREETINGS MY NAME IS MARLON. I AM FALSLY ACCUSED OF CHILD ABUSE BY MY EX-SPOUSE. EX STILLS THINKS SHE IS IN CONTROL AND IS VERY BITTER.
BEEN DIVORCE 2005.EX SPOUSE CREATES A LOT OF PROPBLEMS FOR ME OPENING UP CASES IN MAR 2010 TO DEPENDECY COURT.
AND NOT FOLLOWING THE COURT ORDER. NEED SOME ADVISE .

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 am

Your ex needs to understand that calling CPS could result in the permanent loss of the children.

Here's how it works. CPS workers get tired of complaints from one ex-spouse against another. They talk to both parents getting negative statements from each party. They then compile all this into a social worker's report to the court, vilifying and stigmatizing both parents, and can take the child to non-relative foster care, and eventually adopt the child out to strangers.

The reasonable thing to do is for both parents to lay aside their differences for the well-being of the children, and to work together to keep their children safe from government institutionalization.

Hope this helps! Maybe you could copy the above paragraphs and send them to your ex and request a meeting to iron out the problems in a mature and non-emotional way. Doing this in a therapist's office, or with a minister, might help if emotions are running too high right now.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

marlon357

Postby marlon357 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:46 am

The thing is my ex is remarried and have two new borns with the dude she with,right after we got divorce she got married again like in 2006. but My ex-wife continues to make my life difficult by not letting me see my son 10yo. frankly ex brain washes our son to tell the courts that im a bad dad.
now at conjoint counselling my son is saying that I dont spank him but at depency court he said i spank him. I kw parents right to discipline a child that is reasonble.
Need advise to handl the therapist. By the way the therapist prompts my son what to say but all the fun stuff my son talks about with a smile and then the child abuse issues he saying that i did not yell or spank him. but im already in the mixx moving forward . my ex spouse always late to couselling like 30mins late so then i have 30mins with my son not an hour . Who can I write to notify about ex tardyness all the time.Ex lives 10mins away in Los Angeles I live 3 hrs away -Temecula CA im there early every meeting.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”