Child abuse registry?

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

flcps2011

Child abuse registry?

Postby flcps2011 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I just read something on here that says as soon as someone files a complaint with cps, even when the allegations are false, the person's name automatically goes on the abuse registry regardless? Even before there is a chance to have a trial? Is this true? Is anyone from Florida and knows how it works here?

I'm very concerned because I am looking for a work from home job right now. When a potential employer does a background check, is this something that will show up on the background check?

Thanks.

Eljay

Re: Child abuse registry?

Postby Eljay » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:51 pm

It only matters when you're applying for a job working with children.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

family_man

Postby family_man » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:42 am

Also they only add your name to the registry if CPS finds the allegations to be substantiated. They could still be false, however, and no court has to examine the allegations. They don't put everone who was investigated on the registry.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:09 am

You can find state by state registry laws at http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide/laws_policies/state/. For additional information, copy the statute number (it will usually start with the character §) and do a Google search on it.
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:00 am

Personally I do not want a thing to do with any of these individuals. Is there a way to obtain a copy of the registry without requesting it through the mail? Also, does each state have their own registry or is there an overall registry for the US?
*whoever said that there is a honest social worker.?...they are not all totally honest and just because they are workers does not make them invinceable nor 100% honest...**
(that is my quote)

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 am

ooh, got any friends who work in the child care industry? Maybe they can run a check of yourself down there? as if you were applying for a job with "the friends" business (child care biz)?
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 am

pebbles04 wrote:Personally I do not want a thing to do with any of these individuals. Is there a way to obtain a copy of the registry without requesting it through the mail? Also, does each state have their own registry or is there an overall registry for the US?

Each state has its own registry with its own set of rules. I don't think you could obtain a copy of the registry in any state; you could only inquire whether a particular name is on it (and only if you had a legitimate reason to ask).

So far, there is no national registry. However, I believe there's one in the works, which would be a huge mistake and an endangerment to children. A bill introduced last year, HR 2790, contained provisions for "data standardization for improved data matching," which tells me they're trying to make the registries federal.

(According to http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.2790:, the bill has been refered to the Subcommittee on Human Resources, which means it hasn't passed yet. There's still time to email your congressman or congresswoman to oppose the bill.)
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:50 am

Pebbles, you could pay to run a background check on yourself..
My advice is my opinion and not legal advice
A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

family_man

Postby family_man » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:58 am

I would like clarification on this point. When most people use the term "background check," they mean a criminal background check. This will determine whether you have any outstanding warrants for your arrest, and whether you have any criminal convictions in your state. There is also an FBI background check, which will detect any felony convictions you have anywhere in the country. This is what most landlords and employers check when they screen their applicants.

It is my understanding that neither of these background checks will uncover whether you're on the state's child abuse registry, or whether you've had a TPR. Only CPS has a record of this information, and it is supposed to remain confidential except to prospective employers in the child care industry. If anyone has definite information that I'm wrong about this, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

good dad
Site Admin

Postby good dad » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 am

I think your right, I thought the FBI's NCIC check included the National Child Abuse Registry, it doesn't.... I just looked and it only includes the National Sex Offender Registry..

You could apply for a day care job you don't want just to see what the employer finds..

My advice is my opinion and not legal advice

A bad lawyer is worse then no lawyer and bad advice is worse then no advice....

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I only ask because a long time ago the CASA worker told me that I was able to apply for a job with kids because my name was not on the list. I also have friends who are and do work in a daycare and they never found my name either. I am not sure. How is it decided on whether your name appears on the list?
*whoever said that there is a honest social worker.?...they are not all totally honest and just because they are workers does not make them invinceable nor 100% honest...**

(that is my quote)

dabrock61attnet

Postby dabrock61attnet » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:07 am

You may have read my story, my grandson was removed from our home, but the petition was against my daughter because she had legal custody, however I agreed to an instant drug screen in court which I believe was set up stating I failed for THC. About a year after this happening I volunteered my time to worked with kindergarden children. Due to State Laws everyone had to submit to a background check and was told there's nothing on the report. I would assume they're required to see if you're name is on the registry right? NOTE: MY Church family knows what happended to me in court. If not, I am not sure if my name is in the registry or not. Does everyone present/investigated get put on the Registry?

family_man

Postby family_man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:09 pm

No. Only people whose investigation found "reason to believe" they perpetrated child abuse or neglect.

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

"Found reason to believe"? What does that mean? I am sorry I am so out of things lately. I have not done any research or looked into things in so long that I have lost track of so much. So finding you guilty (even if you are not) does not place you on the registry?

(that is my quote)

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:47 am

Even worse, according to this Orange County Grand Jury report, http://www.ocgrandjury.org/pdfs/child-abuse/child-abuse-report.pdf
even cases deemed INCONCLUSIVE are listed on the CACI (child abuse central index). Nice, eh?
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

noroses4u2c

Postby noroses4u2c » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:00 am

Does this information ever drop off someday? Or is it permanent?
My child was abducted by the government. They demanded a ransom (the case plan). I paid the ransom and my child was kept anyway. It isn't much different from stranger abduction except that the government uses its power to make the abduction legal and unpunishable.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:26 pm

I'm guessing it varies by state. That grand jury report said 10 years, but I can't fathom why they would ever want to remove a *real* abuser's name from the list. :/

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 pm

Eljay I think that report is considered OLD now for California as I just ran into this information the other day, Assembly Bill 717 was chartered and is in effect for California as of 01/2012 and say that ONLY substantiated reports are to be reported to the DOJ, that all unfounded, inconclusive and ones that have no conclusion have to be removed from the index entirely AND it's retroactive, so they are supposed to be weeding that out, at least here in California.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bil ... tered.html

Monumental Victory for Parents. http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2012 ... 094646.asp

I would look to see if a similar bill could be passed in your state...maybe someone's already working on it.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Right now I am just wondering what to do for school. I am afraid that if I go to school for all that I have and get my degree I will not be able to use it based on that registry. My kids were adopted and it went up to the Supreme Court. Is the chance that I am on the registry possible? Do I ask someone that I trust who does daycare if they have that? And does the registry only go state to state or is it nationwide. Basically what I mean by this is that if I were to get a job outside of where I had my court stuff with the kids will they be able to access it? Is the registry state to state or what? I do not want to go to school for nothing if they are going to pull me up.

(that is my quote)

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 pm

family_man

Postby family_man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Pebbles, if you've had an involuntary TPR, I would imagine that your name is almost certainly on the child abuse registry in your state. There is no working national registry, yet. There was a bill before Congress last year to appropriate funds to reconcile the differences in child abuse definitions across states, so that a national registry could become operational. That bill didn't pass. I'm not sure if a new bill is under consideration this year.

So bottom line is that you won't be able to get a job working with children in the state where you got your TPR. If you move to a different state, they won't have a record of the TPR there, so you can get a job. But if the national registry goes online, you won't. But you could still move out-of-country...

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Yea I am not moving out of the country. =) I am just curious because I am studying psychology and was going to do Child and Adolescent Development. I do not know if that would still be considered working with children so to speak because I would assume even as a psychologist the possibilities that you would have to see a child is highly possible.

(that is my quote)

family_man

Postby family_man » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I guess I would look up the licensing requirements for whatever license you want to achieve (LPC, LCSW, etc.). Just to a Google search for "counselor license (your-state)". In my state, an LPC requires a "criminal backgroud check," so a TPR wouldn't show up. You don't want to go all the way through school, and then ooops - you're blocked by the TPR.

pebbles04

Postby pebbles04 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:59 pm

So how would I do that type of research?

(that is my quote)

family_man

Postby family_man » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:56 am

What license(s) do you seek, and what state are you in?

Return to “CPS Investigations”