Which are the best states or provinces...

General chat area for anything that doesn't fit in elsewhere.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

mrstovar

Which are the best states or provinces...

Postby mrstovar » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Which are the best states (US) or provinces (Canada) for raising a family as you believe is best for your offspring with the least amount of governmental threat and outright interferance?
I've been sorta wondering this for a while, but after a conversation with a sister in church today, I'm really, really wondering. We were talking about the CYS investigating us last week. Then, she confided in me that there is a woman who drives past their home regularly that is threatening to call CYS on them. They are great parents of obviously well cared for children, by the way, but the threat of a CYS investigation scares them. They would like to move out west to get away from "nosy neighbors" but really, it's government people that scare them.
Where is the government the least likely to interfere with the perental supervising of children, parental provision for children's healthcare including the use of food and plants and a cautious attitude toward modern medicine including vaccines, discipline issues, religious instruction, education choices like homeschooling, etc., etc.? Does anybody know? Thanks!

Daruma

Re: Which are the best states or provinces...

Postby Daruma » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

There really isn't a 100% safe haven. That's because these laws, and the funding to implement them, originate at the federal level. Some states are worse than others: Nebraska, Oregon, and (I believe) Texas all have poor records, but that's not an exhaustive list. I also suggest avoiding Washington. Following the Powell suicide & murders, there's already new legislation being introduced here, which will probably erode parental rights even further.

Until more voters start holding our state & federal representatives accountable for the laws that make this sort of harassment possible, nothing will get any better.

Why is someone theatening your friend?
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:58 pm

This is the federal government's report on Child Maltreatment, 2010, which is just as much about CPS as it is about the children.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm10/cm10.pdf

Look at pages 11+ for the "calls screened in" ... meaning, for every call, how many do they think are worthy of sending out an investigator? If they think 98.7% of the calls are real (like Alabama), then they are REALLY hungry for children (money)! How is it that in Vermont, only 26.6% of calls are screened in??? Does Vermont really have 4 times as many people calling in bogus calls? Or are people in Alabama SOOOOO resistant to call in that they only call when the abuse is totally real? No... you can't convince me that there are huge disparities in the make-up of the calls... it is their response to the calls that is telling.

Anyhow.... lots of information if you are willing to do the reading. :)
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

mrstovar

Postby mrstovar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:37 am

Daruma, I'm not sure why my friend is being threatened (I didn't ask) but apparently it has something to do with the children playing outside within eyesight of the road. My friend said she tried making the children stay inside, but she's not doing that anymore, as she believes that's not in the best interest of her children.
Eljay, thanks for the link. I will definitly follow it a little later in the day when I have more time.

WhiteHaven

Postby WhiteHaven » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 pm

I would love to know this as well. Rabun County,Ga is HORRIBLE. Been fighting with these jerks for 3 years and was planning a move out of the county this summer but now they have kidnapped my kids I gotta wait to get them back first. I will also be home schooling from now on. Public school my daughter attended refused to allow my wife in to get my daughter before DFCS could get there to kidnap her.

noroses4u2c

Postby noroses4u2c » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Kentucky is really bad if you're low income. Low income parents are targeted and do not get their kids back no matter how well they jump through their hoops. You don't ever want to move to KY.
My child was abducted by the government. They demanded a ransom (the case plan). I paid the ransom and my child was kept anyway. It isn't much different from stranger abduction except that the government uses its power to make the abduction legal and unpunishable.

mrstovar

Postby mrstovar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:49 pm

I followed that link Eljay posted above and studied it, and based on that I decided that South Dakota is the best place, in terms of percentage of referrals screened in. Minnosota and Alaska were good, too. All the other states listed had higher screen in rates, like 33% or more, as I recall. It's been a while, so I hope I have my details correct. Unfortunately it had no information on PA, which is where we live. I sure think they seem to have a high screen in rate around here though.

Return to “Round Table”