CPS knocked on my door help !!!

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Billybob

CPS knocked on my door help !!!

Postby Billybob » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:43 pm

A few days ago I was at work around 7 pm. My babies father was home with her. We are engaged and live together. He called me and said CPS was at the door and didn't want to let her in. She kept threatening him and saying she's going to call the police. I told him to let her in and to please put her on the phone. I told her I work a few mins away and
I will be right there. My daughter is 18 months old and one of the happiest babies you'll ever meet. I finally arrived at our apt and the social worker is sitting there talking to my fiancés and playing with my daughter. She was fairly nice. She said someone called and said we were walking our child at 3 am and I was slurring my words and acting drunk and me and fiancé were arguing. I started laughing bc it sounded so ridiculous. She kept asking me if I do drugs or drink
Or of I take anything prescribed by a doctor. I kept telling her no bc I don't do drugs and I don't ever drink. I actually hate alcohol. Anyway after about 45 mins. She handed me a paper and said ill be back in two weeks. I said ok. Before she left she asked me if I can give her any contact names. I gave her my mothers. This entire thing has be devastated. How can someone make a call like that and flat out lie ? I am having an issue w the tenant below me regarding her noisy dogs. Management told me and other tenants to call 311 on her and I did. My question is what type of investigation will she be doing? Is she going to dig in our pasts to see if we are bad parents ? We live in Queens , New York.
Thanks. Any advice will help.

family_man

Re: CPS knocked on my door help !!!

Postby family_man » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Tell your mother not to volunteer anything she isn't asked about. Don't give the CPS worker anything she can twist around to make you look like a bad parent. Hopefully, she will see there's nothing wrong with your family and close your case promptly.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:38 pm

Thank you for your reply. That is what I am hoping for. My mother would never say anything bad about me. I feel a lot better hearing this. It's just so sad that I don't know who in my building I see or talk to everyday would do this. Is there anything I should be doing or not be doing? Make sure my apt is spotless, fridge full of food. Which it always is. Thanks again

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:42 pm

But I have nothing to hide. So I shouldn't and won't allow this person to affect my livelihood. I will go on with my life being happy and an amazing mom.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:39 pm

Expect more calls and get rid of that thing downstairs. They ask for contacts and then they will go to the contact and tell them you are on drugs and say other things to your mother to elicit any and all information. If your mother tells them anyone in your family has a history of drug abuse, arrests, anything out of the ordinary, it WILL be used against you. Social services is not what people think it is in this country. They are not at all trying to help your family, they are trying to steal your child. DO NOT EVER OPEN THE DOOR AND LET THEM IN! When you let them in, you just waived your 4th amendment right. they sometimes ask for medical record access as well. please do not give this to them, again, they are ONLY looking for information to take your child. Nothing else.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Ok. Well CPS called today around 4 and said she wants to stop by and talk to us. That she found nothing bad and wants to ask us questions. She did a background check and sees that my fiancé was arrested when he was 16. Now she is saying that she wants us both to come down and give her a drug test and that is our right to refuse it. I said we have no problem giving it but what is the point. I told her you have no case so your trying to make one. Then she started twisting her original story of what the complaint was about. I am prescribed legal anxiety medicine. I know that will show up in my urine. I have proof to back up taking it as needed. But what I do know is once they see that. They will try and call me crazy and continue on with the case make me go for an evaluation. I told her if we don't do it we look like we have something to hide. I told her I will consult with an attorney and let her know what we are going up do. Any advice? She did say she'll be back in 2 weeks. But is also expecting a call from me on Monday. Do we just cooperate and take the drug test ?

whosechildrenarethey

Postby whosechildrenarethey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:25 am

CPS is conducting an investigation on your family based on a hotline call.

(She said someone called and said we were walking our child at 3 am and I was slurring my words and acting drunk and me and fiancé were arguing. I started laughing bc it sounded so ridiculous. She kept asking me if I do drugs or drink.)

At this point CPS is asking you and your partner to VOLUNTARILY take a drug screen based on this anonymous hotline call as part of their investigation. (CPS is on a fishing expedition at this point looking to build a case against you.) CPS knows full well an anonymous HOTLINE tip does not constitute the probable cause they need for a court order to make you take the test. CPS does not have the authority to make you have the drug screen. Now we go back to an anonymous hotline tip is not probable cause, they need more.

Coooperating with CPS is a crap shoot. Your right to be cautious and weary of them and their true intentions. Constitutional rights do us no good at all if we don't exercise them.

They have been to your house, seen your children and you've given them the opportunity to speak with you and ask questions. Obviously there is no exigent circumstance or emergency to life and limb requiring the children be removed evidenced by the fact the kids weren't removed. Beyond that I wouldn't cooperate by voluntarily submitting to drug screens, signing any paperwork, or allowing them back into your home or engaging them in conversations unless recorded and documented or by email. If the SW contacts you again, get the name and contact information for the SW and their supervisor (email) and if you can, do a consult with an attorney. Here is a link to New Yorks legal definition of child abuse/neglect. Scroll down to New York: https://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwide ... define.pdf
New York CPS safety factor pocket guide: http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/public ... ub5079.pdf
Here is a link with New York specific CPS policy and procedures: http://assembly.state.ny.us/comm/Childr ... mldoc.html

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:08 pm

My biggest fear is them taking my daughter from me if I don't cooperate. I'm very confused on how to handle this. I asked her if I don't come than what ? She had no answer for me. She said she'll be back in two weeks. So if I don't take the drug tests that that warrant them to come and take my child ?

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:14 pm

Also I have a duel masters degree in education. Special Ed and regular Ed. I'm in the process of getting licensed to be a teacher. Am I going to show up in the central registry as being a child abuser ? Thanks in advance for all your help.

family_man

Postby family_man » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:01 pm

I cannot tell you what will happen if you do or do not cooperate with CPS. The trick is to make them think you are fully cooperating with them, but really you are doing that to the minimum extent necessary.

I can tell you what will happen if CPS concludes that the allegations against you are founded. They may (in order of increasing severity):

A) Simply close the case and take no further action;
B) Close the case and recommend you follow a service plan, without further monitoring;
C) Not close the case and ask you to either ask you voluntarily agree to a service plan;
D) Take legal action to force you to follow their service plan;
E) Petition the court to grant CPS temporary legal custody.

Regardless of whether options A-E are taken after the allegations are founded, CPS will place your name on the state's central registry of child abusers. You will then be unable to practice your teaching profession until you get that decision reversed or move to a different state. So please collect your evidence that the allegations are unfounded now, if it goes that far.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Billybob

Postby Billybob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 am

What is a service plan ? I spoke with an attorney and he said we should cooperate with them before it gets out of hand.

Return to “CPS Investigations”