HOLY COW!

A place to post and discuss news.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

gideonmacleish

HOLY COW!

Postby gideonmacleish » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:20 am

http://www.kvii.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=205431

I am BEYOND furious at this one! A grandfather left his grandchild in the car in Houston, Texas for five hours while he was working at a school, and the child died. If you read the article, they will be submitting it to a grand jury WITHOUT charges.

I'm beside myself. First of all, there is a law in Texas that makes it a crime for a caregiver to leave a child in a car for more than five minutes unless the child is over seven or accompanied by a child over fourteen. I know this law well because, when I delivered papers with my two oldest daughters, I had to recite it verbatim to officers that would harass us because of their disdain for how we made our living.

But it doesn't end there. Anyone here want to take a wild stab at what the grandfather's job was at the school? If you guessed social worker, you'd be right. That's right. A man blessed by the state of Texas to tell other people how to raise their kids lets his grandchild die in the car and won't even face prosecution. Nice to be above the law, I guess.

This man should either be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (because as a social worker, he HAD to be aware of the dangers), or they need to remove the law from the books entirely. It is ridiculous when we hold one standard for some people and an entirely different standard for others. As for me, I will be emailing the Harris County DA and making sure he is aware of my position on this matter. Why is it an "accident" when a social worker does it, and "abuse" when an average citizen does it?

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:56 pm

Another Social Worker believing himself to be above the law.
Sorry, I have only disdain for CPS Social Workers.
Thanks for posting this, Gid.

Return to “In the News”