psycological evaluations

Here's the place to discuss how to win in juvenile courtrooms.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

rishelle hartman

psycological evaluations

Postby rishelle hartman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:32 am

Everyone in my family is ordered to take a psc evaluation prior to the best interest hearing. any feed back for this topic?

family_man

Re: psycological evaluations

Postby family_man » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:58 am

Psych evals are important because CPS will try to exploit any abnormalities that show up as evidence (a) that you may pose some kind of threat or risk to your children in your current condition, and (b) that you need further therapy and/or medications in order to get your kids back. For this reason, it's best to make your evaluation come out as normal as possible.

In the multiple-choice part of the exam, you will be asked a bunch of personal questions about your lifestyle, your attitude about the world and about yourself. At this time, you're no doubt very stressed about your life, and worried about your future. You may be thinking CPS is out to get you. Don't let any of these feelings influence your answers to the questions. Try to think back to a time when everything was going great for you, and you were optimistic for a bright future. Answer the questions as though you were living back then. Obviously, when asked if you see visions of things that aren't really there, you should answer, "no." If you have personality disorders, now is not the time to reveal them. You'll have plenty of time to get them worked out after you get your kids back.

In the eval I took, there was also a part where you had to demonstrate that you could process multiple tasks at a time. What this has to do with parenting is that in real life, you have lots of things going on simultaneously. The pot is boiling over on the stove, the phone is ringing and your child is crying. Another part of the test is basically an IQ test. I guess they want to make sure that you're not mentally retarded. Be sure to get a good night's sleep the night before. If you think you might have sleep apnea, now's a great time to get a sleep study.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Juvenile Court”