The agenda of court appointed attorneys!

Here's the place to discuss how to win in juvenile courtrooms.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

anonymous06'

The agenda of court appointed attorneys!

Postby anonymous06' » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Look out for these things:
A court appointed attorney who asks you to see a mental illness group to attend for this could make you look more unstable.

Put all requests to your attorney in writing! This is a legal request of certain services! Make him write his answers in writing!
Last edited by anonymous06' on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:47 am

Someone on here recently suggested a statement to send to them.

It said something like this.

Please give me all the files and evidence you have under Freedom of Information law to parents involved in child welfare.

If you don't give me what I am legally entitled to, then this is Notice to you that there IS no evidence supporting the claims on the court papers, etc.

Here is the list of specific requests to go by.

http://forum.fightcps.com/viewtopic.php?t=6559

LanceBabe

Postby LanceBabe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 am

You can use this generator http://www.splc.org/foiletter.asp for the letter.

HappyMommyx4

Postby HappyMommyx4 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am

Remember when sending them any documentation though that it becomes public record. They can use it against you. We have just run into this. Despite thorough research into state laws and the juvenile court system I was unaware of this. Personally, I would not send them anything without first consulting my attorney and thoroughly reviewing state laws. When it comes to my children (or anything really) I have to find all the information for myself, I don't trust anyone to lead me down the right path without thoroughly researching it on my own. We also recently found that any letters sent to Senators or Governors are public record and they can pick them apart and twist the words in those letters just like your spoken words.

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 pm

That is a good point.

Generally, in the Rules of the Court, any statement made by one party can be denied by the other party, then the burden of proof is on the party who made the original accusation.

My friend's lawyer said that Child Welfare will put all kinds of accusations in their petitions, and defense will deny all of it as a matter of course. Then the accuser has the burden of proof to provide witnesses, etc.

He said, for example, that the police may accuse a man of murder - - of such and such a person, on such and such a date, at a certain place, using a certain weapon, etc. He may have been in another state at the time. So the defense denies it all. The accusation means nothing until real witnesses and evidence are presented. He acted like it was a common everyday thing in criminal court.

anmazinn

Re: The agenda of court appointed attorneys!

Postby anmazinn » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 pm

I do CPS in Houston Texas. I just finished one of the biggest cases in our County, representing a mother of 12 who pleaded guilty to killing her 8 year old daughter at 15 lbs. The worst thing any parent can do is go in agressive, mean spirited, and so apprassive. I know you're very upset, but an an Attorney, you must go through the legal system ethically, properly, just as you're asking them to do. If anything, whoever gave you that advice, is just asking CPS to take your kids.

Angelina
[email protected]

cpsvictim

Postby cpsvictim » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 pm

In response to the comment by Angelina [email protected], you make an excellent case for the corruption of this system. You state that you "Do cps in Houston Texas", rather than saying "I legally represent clients". You say you just finished representing a woman who "Pleaded" guilty, rather than "plead guilty". And you say parents should not go in "agressive (aggressive) , mean spirited and so apprassive (abrasive) ", because that is just asking CPS to take your kids.

The first thing about this post that bothers me, is that the state spares no expense on legal counsel to represent CPS, but pays pennies on the dollar for representation they are required to provide to parents in these cases, and that representation is exemplified by this Angelina, who's post is riddled with grammar and spelling errors. This woman, similar to the CPS workers I have dealt with, exhibit a severe lack of education, yet are making decisions that affect the very safety and lives of the youth entrusted to their care. This woman is a lawyer, who appears to have the education of an 8th grader, and if you are an innocent parent who happens not to have the $10,000.00 required retainer for a private attorney, this is the representation that will be provided to you.

Further, she says you should not be abrasive, because that is just asking to have them take your kids. Since when has aggressively objecting to the threat of wrongful removal of your children become a crime in itself, that justifies their removal by CPS. Pissing off a CPS worker with your abrasive personality, does not qualify as imminent danger to the child, which is the only reason a child should be removed from their home.

But she is correct about that point. If you oppose them and do not submit to their whim, they will retaliate and show you just how powerful they are, by removing your child based on any false charge they care to make up, and the judge WILL grant any order they request, based on hearsay and nothing more. And good luck trying to get your court appointed attorney to even examine, let alone present, your side of the story in the courtroom.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:35 pm

Don't forget that she capitalized "attorney" as if it's a title. Awesome post, cpsvictim. :wink:
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Return to “Juvenile Court”