Crawfordsville, Indiana Legal Q's for Grandparent's rights

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

sherivieth

Crawfordsville, Indiana Legal Q's for Grandparent's rights

Postby sherivieth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am

I am a grandparent of two grandkids living in Crawfordsville, Indiana who were taken out of my son's home on a bogus report to CPS about 5 months ago.

I live in Florida and other family members live in other states as well. To make a long story short, my Grandchildren are up for adoption ( or wards of the court ) on October 1st unless something can be done, and soon. My son and his wife have been trying to fight the case for some time, but to no avail. They lost their jobs about 8 months ago and they have lost their home as well.

I would like to know if it is possible for me to fight from Florida? And also where can I find legal info for my daughter ( the children's Aunt who would very much like to have them ), who lives in Seattle Washington, to possibly be able to take the two children to keep them from getting "lost" in the system, split up, or most terribly, be adopted to anyone else!?

I have contacted CPS, but they will not reply to my messages ( still trying ) in Crawfordsville. I know I must have rights as a Grandparent to information and my daughter must have rights as to being the Aunt to these two children. But, the research is so daunting and I haven't much time to help.

Any info as to where I can get help or information is much appreciated!

Eljay

Re: Crawfordsville, Indiana Legal Q's for Grandparent's righ

Postby Eljay » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 am

Is there any way you can hire an attorney to represent the kids? Is your son REFUSING to cooperate with CPS? Very, very strange (and illegal, unless they are wee babies) that they would be moving forward with adoption so fast. There are legal time frames that dictate the speed/conditions:

http://www.in.gov/dcs/files/6.12_Involu ... ights_(TPR)F.pdf

I would think that the ICPC is the route you should be taking, but in order to fight for this in IN, your best bet would be someone representing you there. You could try to get a hold of the children's court-appointed attorney (also know as Guardian Ad Litem) to plead with him/her for placing the children with family.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

sherivieth

Postby sherivieth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you!~ My son is cooperating...they are just so young they don't know how to fight this and me being so far away I am having a hard time getting information from my son and his wife. I know that the CPS system is taking advantage of their nietivity on the subject. And yes, I will find a lawyer there, but I haven't much extra money as I am retired and living on a fixed income. I will take your advice and use the link you have posted for me here.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Okay.... don't jump to hiring an attorney yet, but get a hold of the child's attorney/GAL and appeal to her... she is supposed to look out for the interest of the child, and second best to good parents would be good grandparents.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”