I want my grandaughter home with me

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

lonelygrandma

I want my grandaughter home with me

Postby lonelygrandma » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 am

My almost 3 year old grandaugter has been in CPS custody and in a foster home for almost three month, the day she was taken I spoke with the case worker and told him that I wanted her home with me, I was adviced that a background check had to be done for both my husband and me, we passed, then a home inspection. The lady that came for the home inspection told us that she was going to send the papers to the judge to sign ASAP because the child should be with family. we were giving papers to sign and turn in to the case worker, we did. A week after the papers were turned in the case worker called me, she told me she was turning in the papers for the judge's approval. I then asked her how long it would take, she said, "two weeks or as long as a month depending on the judge's work load", well it's been almost a month and no word, I called her last week and left her a message wanting to know how I would be notified. That afternoon I get a called from her and she leaves me a message, it said, "the papers were turned in for the judge's approval yesterday, we should know any day now as to when your grandaughter would be home with you". ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! THIS IS ALMOST A MONTH AFTER THE PAPERS WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN TURNED IN!!!!...I kept my cool and returned he call the next morning.
She told me, "be prepared because she'll be home with you any day now"...I don't know what to believe are they playing with us???
I'm not saying that they were wrong by taking her, although her parent's did not hurt her physically they were doing something that was not right. If I would have known I would have taken her a long time ago, but I had no clue what was going on.
If they take a child away from their parents they should be placing the child with a relative that they know ASAP
I'm new to all this, have no clue what to do. If anyone can give me so advice I would really appreciate it.
Thank you for reading my post

Eljay

Re: I want my grandaughter home with me

Postby Eljay » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am

lonelygrandma wrote:If they take a child away from their parents they should be placing the child with a relative that they know ASAP
I'm new to all this, have no clue what to do. If anyone can give me so advice I would really appreciate it.

There is just no financial incentive for them to place the child with you. So much of what CPS does is driven by the money that they can bill to the federal government. For family care and visitations, they don't get big money so there's no incentive to do them. You'll have to escalate this to the supervisor, manager, director, county council (they control the money). Basically, start at the caseworker's supervisor and state, "All paperwork has been submitted & approved for our grandchild to live with us yet the caseworker doesn't seem to be able to get it done. What can YOU do to help?"
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

HeidiMercer

Re: I want my grandaughter home with me

Postby HeidiMercer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:18 pm

That is so true. CPS does not do anything to reunite child with their birth families. They get paid by the government to adopt this children out. They do not care about the best for the children

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”