Grandaughter 5 forgotten at drug dealer's house for 3 days.

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Kimberly9303

Grandaughter 5 forgotten at drug dealer's house for 3 days.

Postby Kimberly9303 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:19 pm

There was a hotline call made on my daughter and her new boyfriend. There were drugs found in clear view. My daughter was charged with endangering a child and possession of opiates. They arrested my daughter and took her to jail where she remained for 3 days. The homeowner (boyfriend) present at the time was not charged. My 4 yr old grandson was taken into dfs custody immediately. My sweet little granddaughter who was 5 yrs old at the time was supposed to be picked up at her school by dfs. She was forgotten about and left with the assumed drug dealer (boyfriend) for 3 days. Doesn't this mean that dfs did not do their job? They failed to make contact with my granddaughter (therefore no welfare check was made) for 3 days. Is this enough to show gross negligence by dfs? They are trying to terminate my daughter's parental rights. Please help!

LindaJM

Re: Grandaughter 5 forgotten at drug dealer's house for 3 da

Postby LindaJM » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:39 pm

This sounds like a complex legal question - and I'm not a lawyer... and even if I was, I wouldn't have enough information to understand the whole situation.

I'm wondering about the timeline. Usually when there's a TPR the children have been in foster homes for a long time already. So how long has it been since the five year old was left at the drug dealer's home for three days? If it has been a long time, I don't know how this would make a difference at the TPR trial if it wasn't brought up as an issue already.

And even if the caseworker was negligent - would it affect the outcome of the CPS case? I think that would probably be handled as a separate case, or she might just be demoted at work but there would still be a TPR hearing.

You can check with an actual attorney in your local area to see if this is anything you can pursue, but in the meantime, get ready for the TPR hearing with documentary evidence showing that the parent has changed, the caseworker's paperwork and decisions are flawed, the service plan was completed, or whatever applies to this case. There are sample legal documents at the link below this message.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”