Grandparent's rights removed in CA

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Babbiesaregreat

Grandparent's rights removed in CA

Postby Babbiesaregreat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:16 am

My grandparent rights were removed from me on October 8th in an Alameda County Family Justice Center with me not present, having been issued any representation, and not being notified my rights were in jepordy or them allowing me notification it was even occurring so that I could request representation. What are my avenues?

LindaJM

Re: Grandparent's rights removed in CA

Postby LindaJM » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:34 am

Were you the primary caretaker of the children before they were picked up by CPS?

There are no "grandparent rights" but in CA you might have had "de-facto parent" rights, a guardianship, or kinship care rights (to take care of your grandchildren while they were in foster care).

Was this a Termination of Parental Rights (TPR) hearing?

I don't know enough about your situation to determine what was actually going on there... but I do know that if TPR happened your grandchildren could be adopted out now.

If the TPR trial was lost, it is over. There's nothing more to be done.

If your child still has parental rights you could help your child by preparing for court, or you could hire your own attorney to represent you in court.

In any case, I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandchildren. Pray for them.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”