To be guardian for my niece do i have to give dna!?

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Shesourbaby

To be guardian for my niece do i have to give dna!?

Postby Shesourbaby » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:57 pm

My niece was taken into custody from birth. Prior to her birth I was in contact with the baby to have her come with me the worker sent her to a foster home and has since been treating me as if I was the one that neglected or hurt a child. They've even gone so far as t tell me to give them my birth certificate so they can prove I'm related to my niece but we don't even have the same last name. Is this legal, am I subject to giving DNA next when she sees we don't have the last name?

Going nuts in WI

LindaJM

Re: To be guardian for my niece do i have to give dna!?

Postby LindaJM » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:12 pm

I've never heard of them asking for DNA. Can you prove a family relationship?

From the social worker's reluctance I'm guessing she either doesn't like you, or she wants a specific foster family to have this child.

Do what you can to prove the family relationship with birth documentation - and also, you might want to go visit your county commissioner to discuss how this case is being handled.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”