Need advice - I made a stupid mistake

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Shockedgramma

Need advice - I made a stupid mistake

Postby Shockedgramma » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:52 pm

[url][/url]

Shockedgramma

Re: Need advice - I made a stupid mistake

Postby Shockedgramma » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:12 pm

I'd like some advice on something stupid I did that resulted in an upcoming visit by the CPS to my daughter. She is a first time mom of twin girls 11 weeks old. She is an excellent mom and very devoted to her family. She was scared last week because of suspected infantile seizures to one of them that she videotaped. Although we suspected it was just startle reflex, she decided to go to the ER, just in case. Her dad is severely epileptic and she has had a few seizures herself although not epileptic at all was understandably concerned. The docs put the baby on an EEG for 24 hrs and we were all in the room as the docs started asking about her seizure history. She told them she had 4 seizures and I chimed in quite inappropriately that a long time ago she had 2 that were because of cocaine. I wasn't thinking at all when I said that. She's 29 and back when she was like 17 in high school she maybe did coke 2x in her life. She was an excellent student and never did drugs before or after that. Was always responsible. When I said that I was thinking simply for medical reasons to be honest because I didn't want her judged as her having Epilepsy. Turned out the baby was fine, didn't have seizures. She told me later how stupid it was to say that since it had no medical relation to the problem with her daughter. I couldn't have been more sorry but didn't think at all of any implications. She told me today because of what I said the CPS is paying her a visit. She understandably wants nothing to do with me now. I am beyond angry at myself for offering information that could hurt her. She is not and has never been a drug user except for those 2 times so long ago. That made her look very bad not to mention she is post partum and also said to the social worker that she is having a tough time coping. Many mothers of twins I'm sure are feeling overwhelmed and that alone wouldn't warrant a visit from the CPS?! How should she handle the visit? She has nothing to hide, is responsible and has a good marriage and is an exceptional mom. I am beyond heartbroken and guilt ridden for having put her through this because of my thoughtlessness. Can they take her children away from her because of what I said?

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”