Grandparents never considered for placement

For those concerned about children and parents in CPS cases.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

shakeserfists

Grandparents never considered for placement

Postby shakeserfists » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:23 am

Let's say both parents surrender, everything is signed & DONE... the foster mom is planning to adopt and grandparent turns up who knew nothing about the situation and her daughter giving baby up, so now grandparent wants the baby.
What would happen here? Do I have rights even though the parents rights are surrendered? would all that be reconsidered bc now a relative is involved? Or do the "relative rules" not apply once parents relinquish rights? There was no legal reason to terminate her rights no evidence submitted. Then her appointed lawyer coerced her to sign away rights saying if she didn't she would never see her child again because judge was going to terminate her rights..she completed case plan. Completely...this is 15 months in and they filed tpr 48 days after deadline. When goals for reunification had been achieved. This was the permanency hearing. I'm sure the child would have been returned. Can I appeal the signing away of her rights or appeal for custody based on no relative was allowed to seek placement of child. They knew we wanted the child from day one.I never was given anything or told the process. They just ignored our requests. I have emails as to that.

Jessie's Aunt

Re: Grandparents never considered for placement

Postby Jessie's Aunt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am

After termination of your daughter's parental rights, you are no longer a grandparent; so the court would have no reason the grant you kinship rights.
Jessie's Aunt
Adopted my sister's grandchild, 2004.

Wolfeagle

Postby Wolfeagle » Tue May 16, 2017 7:21 am

It depends on the state !! Indiana still has grandparents rights even after parents right has been termination as long as you can prove you have been in there lives and get granted visitation for your grandbabies

Leigh68

Postby Leigh68 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

I am a grandmother of 2 kids in foster care i have been trying since day 1 to get them they won't listen to anything i have to say i cant even speak to the judge on court dates the mom and dads lawyers act like they are scated to even talk to the judge and the thing about it is i have guardianship o over3 of my other grandkids from5 years ago and 2 of them are there brothers the next court date is October and they said at that time theywould be put up for adoption,i can't afford a lawyer because I'm ok disability and keeping up 5 kids that i get no. Child support from anybody have any suggestions

Return to “Grandparents and Other Relatives”