Grand-Mother Awarded Custody

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Nana_Tree

Grand-Mother Awarded Custody

Postby Nana_Tree » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

I live in Oregon, My grandson, was removed from his mother's custody when he was 3 day's old. My son had to fight for paternity. When it was established that he was the father DHS filed to keep him away from my son. DHS was awarded temporary custody. The caseworker, told me if I filed for custody, and got it she would be comfortable telling the Judge to close the case. I filed for custody and neither parent filed a response, therefore, I filed for default. The state wanted to combine the civil case (my custody) with the case they had against the parents. The Judge postponed signing the general judgment, and during a hearing it was talked about. The Judge said he needed to taking the matter under advisement, and then after almost a month signed the general judgement awarding me full custody. I gave a copy of the court order to the caseworker who will not talk to me, and tell me how and when I will be able to get my grandson, or even what the steps to be taken now are.

Is there anyone who can give me some kind of information as to how this law works in Oregon, when a child is removed from parents, and then another family member is awarded custody.

Eljay

Re: Grand-Mother Awarded Custody

Postby Eljay » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Call his/her supervisor. Then the manager. Then the director. Just escalate the issue. They don't get any money for reuniting families so you're going to have to put the effort into getting that baby home.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Beatthescammers

Postby Beatthescammers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:00 am

You may also need to make an appointment with the "purse strings" of CPS (your county commissioners and your state representatives) to tell them your situation.

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am

If the judge ordered you to have custody, and CPS won't comply, wouldn't that be kidnapping? If you don't get results soon by going to the supervisor, consider calling the sheriff/police, your county prosecutor, or possibly the FBI.

Honestly, I don't know what the proper procedure is when CPS flat-out defies a court custody order!
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

Nana_Tree

Postby Nana_Tree » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 am

I went to the head of the department, all I got was we have never seen this type of form before we need to ask our attorney.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Nana_Tree wrote:I went to the head of the department, all I got was we have never seen this type of form before we need to ask our attorney.

They've never seen a court-ordered custody form before?

Wow... I wonder if that would work if I were ever presented with a warrant. Or a summons. Or a lawsuit.... "I've never seen one before, so it must not be real."

I would have called the police right then and there to help them interpret it.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Nan4grandkids

Postby Nan4grandkids » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:53 pm

go to the court and judge and make formal appl.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”