trying to get my children back.

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

ariah211

trying to get my children back.

Postby ariah211 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:50 pm

I am in a state approved shelter for familys in hopes of getting an apartment soon. cps showed up and said that I was homeless and they are trying to bring up an old case on me. saying that im an addict. but when I had my son I was clean and when the cps sent me for a drug screen I was clean. they are not contacting me for a visit I haven't seen my children in a week and I have been tring to get in contact with cps supervisor I e-mailed and call everyday. I need advice, I need to know loop hole or something cause the intake worker has twisted words around on me.

forthefuture

Re: trying to get my children back.

Postby forthefuture » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:16 pm

What state are in? And what are you being charged with? Have you had a court date?

family_man

Postby family_man » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Did they just show up at your shelter and take your children without your approval? Did they give any reasons? Did you sign any papers? Where are the children now?

I could be wrong, but it sounds like CPS petitioned the court for temporary emergency custody of your children based on spurious claims of drug abuse. (Being in a state-approved shelter would not be grounds for assuming custody.) If this is what happened, you are entitled to a court appointed attorney to represent you (assuming you can't pay for one on your own.) Inquire with the county court system about any legal action which was taken, and obtain copies of any court documents which were filed. If no legal action has been taken, then you still have custody of your children, and can in principle pick them up at any time.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

ariah211

Postby ariah211 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:39 am

im in ky and yes it is about suspected drug abuse and all my drug test has been clean and they still dnt want to give me my children

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”