breast feeding

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

texastoker

breast feeding

Postby texastoker » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:39 pm

I was told by investigating case worker's supervisor that I could not breast feed and to do so was physical abuse. I tested positive for marijuana. My pediatrician said that testing positive for marijuana is not a reason to not breast feed. Is this CPS protocol or was the supervisor just being a (bleep)

LindaJM

Re: breast feeding

Postby LindaJM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:47 am

The social worker was speaking from her understanding and knowledge.

The doctor was speaking from his.

If the social worker is threatening to take your child, then pay attention to what she says.

You don't need marijuana anyway. Just quit smoking it now and save yourself more trouble.

Children really need someone who is "all there" and who puts them first.

I don't know if you have an open case, if they have your baby... but if you do have your baby then do what is suggested so they can stop worrying about you doing something bad to the baby.

Your goal is to get that CPS case to close.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:35 am

rHAT IS GOOD ADVICE, JUST STOP USING MARIJUANA. rEMBER IT STAYS IN YOUR SYSTEM FOR OVER 30 DAYS.

Justice74

Postby Justice74 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:17 pm

I would still breastfeed but woudnt tell no one including my doctor. Canabis is an herb and has been used for thousands of years and is perfectly safe. It has even been used to help with labor pains.

I would put breast milk in a bottle, not a clear one, since it's easy to recognize. Feed the baby from the bottle in front of CPS worker and also at the doctors office and anywhere else someone might snitch on you. If CPS comes to my home to inspect then I would have some formula and bottles on display etc. for them to believe, still feed the baby breast milk.

Read an article somewhere that mothers in Africa that tested positive for HIV are still encouridged to breast feed their babies.

Canabis has many medicinal properties but you can't patent something that already exist. Its all got to do with pharmaceutical companies.

If they were going to test me for drugs again then I would not use canabis until the case is closed.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:34 am

Cannabis is a good medicinal herb for seriously ill people . . . like people terminally ill with cancer.

However . . . so long as social workers are taking children whose parents use it - I would not risk it just for "being high" . . . and children do need a caretaker who is more devoted to them than to weed.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Mommy2Many1982

Postby Mommy2Many1982 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:27 am

Unfortunately, pot it still a hot button issue. I was told by my doc, while I was pregnant to smoke pot or I was going to loose my baby by miscarriage. (I had lost 20 lbs in the first 2 months I was pregnant.) I smoked and breastfed. I have PTSD and trust me, pot is a lot better than the benzos I was taking to control my panic attacks and other nerve problems. My boys are now 12, 10 and 5. They all are advanced in school. A and B honor roll. I do not think you should smoke pot "just to get high" at all. I believe god put it here as he did many other things to help us medicinally!!! If your just looking for a high, maybe you should rethink your reasoning and quit. My opinion only and I know this is a topic that gets people going so please remember, to each, their own.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”