When your caseworker LIES

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Mom2Jasper

When your caseworker LIES

Postby Mom2Jasper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Despite being unfounded for "failure to protect" my children from "abuse," I was put into intact services where I must meet with a caseworker every week and go through with their "voluntary" services. I had to reschedule an appointment with her last week so that I could see my doctor for a cough that was horrific. I informed her WELL ahead of time that I might not be home at our scheduled time, but she was more than welcome to stop by. She did, and left a note on my door stating she would call me later. She never did. The following week, she showed up (unannounced) when I was not home and left another note on my door stating that it looked like we "missed a scheduled appointment again." Except we did NOT have a scheduled appointment as she never called me like she said she would.

Now, I'm sure this is going into my case file as my willful avoidance of appointments. I have contacted her supervisor to call me, because this is not the first time she has blatantly LIED to paint me in an unfavorable light. However, her supervisor has not called me back. I am working with an attorney, but have been advised that all I can do right now is comply with their services, even though it is frustrating and ABUSIVE while she looks into my case further. But, the caseworker makes it look as if I am not complying by flat out lying!! I am afraid to ask for a different caseworker because I highly DOUBT they will be any better. :(

Has anyone been through something like this? What did you do?

LindaJM

Re: When your caseworker LIES

Postby LindaJM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm

Your case was probably assigned to that caseworker based on the first letter in your last name, so getting them to assign another worker is usually not going to happen.

I would write the worker a letter and explain that you were sick one week and didn't know you had an appointment for the second week, as she hadn't phoned you. Put it in writing, and keep a copy in your records.

Please discuss your letter with your attorney before sending it.

I hope you can work everything out with her in a congenial manner so the situation won't escalate.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”