i need answers. idk what to do!

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

christine4

i need answers. idk what to do!

Postby christine4 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 pm

I had my kids taken from me. Wa state in wondering if me and there dad are to do everything they ask of us how long it usually takes to get your baby's home. I'm losing my mind my kids are my life. I feel like I'm going crazy I wake up in the night to the sound of them crying them realize I was dreaming and I'm up the rest of the night crying for them and wondering if I'm fighting a losing battle I really feel so alone. We have nobody on our side and our court appointed attorneys arnt doing anything!

family_man

Re: i need answers. idk what to do!

Postby family_man » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:59 pm

I know the feeling. I've been there. If all goes right, the normal progression of such cases is as follows, starting from the time the children are taken into custody:

Six months before you're allowed unsupervised access to them;

Twelve months before your children are allowed to live with you again (called physical custody);

Another 6-9 months where CPS monitors your family;

Then the case is closed, and it will be time to start thinking about moving to another state.

Snags can and do occur at any stage.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

christine4

Postby christine4 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:36 pm

And that's if there's no snags? So if everything goes perfect and I get everything they ask done befor that time do you think there's any way they can come back home sooner

family_man

Postby family_man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:45 am

It could take a little less time, but usually it doesn't. CPS has no qualms about suddenly yanking children from their homes, but they insist that reunifications be done be done very gradually (to avoid traumatizing the children). If you don't do everything on your case plan, and document it, you won't get your kids back. CPS will let the clock run out, and then file for a TPR. The only way you can dramatically short-circuit the process is to contest in court the CPS claim that your children were abused or neglected and need state protection. This is an evidence-based hearing, usually called the adjudication trial. However, if your attorney isn't fully behind you in this effort, I wouldn't suggest it.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”