Re-assigning a CPS case to a different caseworker

Network here, set up "ask the social worker" threads, post information and news of interest to social workers.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Lysander

Re-assigning a CPS case to a different caseworker

Postby Lysander » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:01 pm

What are some common reasons why a CPS case would be re-assigned to a different caseworker?

My own case was initiated about a month ago. The two major developments in the case were that the child's mother killed herself about a week after they took the kid away, and a lawyer was appointed for me (the presumptive father) just recently. I told my lawyer I'd been having trouble getting CPS to administer a paternity test to me, and then told her the reasons CPS gave for taking away the kid. She commented, "they don't sound very intelligent to me. I can't get anyone to give me the paperwork on this end" and she said she'd arrange within the next day or two to have a paternity test administered. Later that day, my caseworker called and said that a paternity test had been scheduled, and that a new caseworker would be taking over my case.

One can only speculate about particular cases, but I wonder what in general causes a case to get re-assigned to a different caseworker. Is it fairly routine for that to happen?

family_man

Re: Re-assigning a CPS case to a different caseworker

Postby family_man » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 pm

There is a high turnover rate among caseworkers. They tend not to stay in their jobs very long.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Caseworkers & Social Workers”