Class action lawsuit against Kansas?

If you're a volunteer class action lawsuit coordinator for your state, start a thread here and in the message area for your state. We need fifty coordinators... one for each state. If there's already one for your state you can volunteer to help or just post that you want your case considered for inclusion in the lawsuit.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

jdcmmc

Class action lawsuit against Kansas?

Postby jdcmmc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 am

Please let me know if there is one. Our case is closed and we want to file a federal lawsuit against Kansas.

Eljay

Re: Class action lawsuit against Kansas?

Postby Eljay » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:41 am

IMHO, I don't think you could *ever* have a class action lawsuit against CPS. They would have to consistently break a specific law with every single family/situation that came through the door. Part of the problem with CPS is that they are SO inconsistent... they fail to remove children from dangerous homes at the same time they are ripping children from perfectly safe homes. Class action suits are for when you have a giant disregard for the law that is practiced 100% of the time. For example, the gas company adds a $1/month "account maintenance fee" that is eventually found to be illegal. Then everybody who got charged that would be members of a class. The damages are also clear cut and with CPS issues, who can put a price on the stress and pain that deprivation of your children has caused?

The reality is that the lawyers usually profit from class action lawsuits far more than anybody else. Many of them end up in settlements like, "Corporation admits no guilt, but will pay the $8 million in lawyers fees, donate $1 to charity and issue a $2 coupon to everyone in the suit."

Bottom line, you'll need to file your own suit and hopefully find a lawyer who will work on a contingency.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

family_man

Postby family_man » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 pm

That's not true, Eljay. There are lots of class action suites going on right now. There's one going on right now in my state of Texas. See my post on the subject, and Richard Wexler's assessment of it:

http://forum.fightcps.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=10507

Unfortunately, many if not most of these suites are funded by organizations which have a vested interest in putting more children into foster and group homes, not less. They tend to hype the cases of the children "known to the system" that were allowed to remain in the home, and were subsequently harmed or even killed there. They want more investigators, tougher standards for kinship placements, more rigorous evaluations of families, etc.

I have yet to hear about a class action suite designed to reduce the number of children removed from their homes unnecessarily.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Yes, I can see where a case against foster care abuses could be a class.* I was thinking of the parent-victims of the system where you have a lot of varied factors in each case. As for kids being abused in foster/group homes, oh yeah, we can most certainly see the consistent maltreatment due to neglectful CPS practices there.

*Except here in LA where Monkette31 reported last week: "Out here in Southern California, DCFS recently enacted a policy whereas ANY CHILD CURRENTLY IN FOSTER CARE, are now UNREPORTABLE to child abuse hotline. Instead of initiating an INVESTIGATION of abuse, they simply report whatever to the case carrying caseworker, which we all know from experience, NOTHING is ever done....so CPS allows children in their care to be abused. FOSTER children are not protected and unreportable."

Of course, they are shooting themselves in the foot for when someone files a class action lawsuit against them! Sadly, who is going to fight for them when they're kids?
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

linda785

Postby linda785 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:42 pm

I am in the process of sueing CPS and TFI in Kansas for a class action lawsuit and individual suits also. my 4yr old son was in a foster home living with a cop, of all people who are sopose to protect kids and stuff. NOPE.. her husband while at work desided to beat my son in the face and turned his face and ear purple and sent him that morning to daycare like that. so Yeah CPS called me and let me know about it and I told them I will hire a attorney and sue them where were they when there FOSTER HOMES were abusing the foster kids. and stuff.. but for clutter in a home while I was packing to move into my new home CPS was called, and they came took pics and 2 wks later took my 4y son, and his 2yr sister into custody. I that same month found out I was pregnant again. I got my kids put back in the home up to 5-6 days a week in the home on over night visits. and the BITCH LIAR worker for TFI Foster Placement desided to change my case plan to adoption and LIED in court several times in the past few months, and the judge just terminated parental rights for clutter in a home cause I was moving. yes I have found a attorney office that does law suits against CPS and wants me to share the website with people here it is please use it... [moderator edit: please only list actual attorneys, not referral services; feel free to edit with attorney name and number] contact them they will help you get your lawsuit settled. they also do individual suits for child abuse while in custody cases. please use them thanks. Linda Warren

Kimberly9303

Kansas forgot granddaughter at a drug dealer's home for days

Postby Kimberly9303 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:02 pm

There was a hotline call made on my daughter and her new boyfriend. There were drugs found in clear view. My daughter was charged with endangering a child and possession of opiates. They arrested my daughter and took her to jail where she remained for 3 days. The homeowner (boyfriend) present at the time was not charged. My 4 yr old grandson was taken into dfs custody immediately. My sweet little granddaughter who was 5 yrs old at the time was supposed to be picked up at her school by dfs. She was forgotten about and left with the assumed drug dealer (boyfriend) for 3 days. Doesn't this mean that dfs did not do their job? They failed to make contact with my granddaughter (therefore no welfare check was made) for 3 days. Is this enough to show gross negligence by dfs? They are trying to terminate my daughter's parental rights. Please help!

Return to “Class Action Lawsuits”