drug evaluation question

Drug abuse, treatment, research, and laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

pinkpanda5

drug evaluation question

Postby pinkpanda5 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:46 am

I was in treatment 9 years ago for methamphetamine(cps involvement), I have been clean ever since but my caseworker wants me to get an evaluation. Do I have to do this? is it something that I can fight? My case has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol and I have no legal problems. Can they bring up something from so long ago that, to me, is completely irrelevant? My worry is that if I do take this eval. and they recommend treatment again I could lose my job, which would cause another domino affect financially. They have given me a drug test on their first visit, at a team meeting, and before a visit with my children, which were all negative. I have nothing to hide, but I don't want to give up my job to satisfy one of their ridiculous requests. If anybody has any advice, or opinions I would love to hear it. This is driving me crazy, and I don't know how to approach this.

family_man

Re: drug evaluation question

Postby family_man » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 am

Since CPS is allowing you "visits" with your children, I presume that they have already taken your children into temporary custody for some reason. You should have been given a court-approved case plan which details the steps you must complete to reunify with your children. Failure to do so could lead to a TPR. If getting a drug abuse evaluation is on that plan, then you must do it or file a motion with the court to have that requirement removed from your plan. If it is not on the plan, then technically you don't have to do it without a court order. However, you might elect to have the evaluation done anyway to avoid antagonizing your case worker. If you do this, I would recommend that you get the evaluation done by somebody of your own choosing, not the person recommended by CPS. That way, you'll have a better chance of getting an unbiased opinion. CPS won't be able to object in court to your choice of evaluator if his/her qualifications equal or exceed those of the one recommended by the case worker.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Drug Related Cases”