need to know if i need to fire my public defender

Drug abuse, treatment, research, and laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

greyskyeyes

need to know if i need to fire my public defender

Postby greyskyeyes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 pm

I am from Atlantic county NJ. I have been involved with CPS formally known as DYFS. I have had the same public defender from the start. I believe he is getting high on the job . Seriously i told my friend watch he will take a 10 minute bathroom break, which he did . i spoke to him right after he came from bathroom . He was stuck in space so to speak very beady eyes sweating and lack of concentration. nearly slowly melting to the floor and keeps his head back and swallows a lot. In the courtroom he was sweating slurring words holding on to the chair for balance and disoriented with presentation of my case . i have asked him to submit my journals and many other things that could help my case instead he does not do anything he doesn't ask questions on my behalf all he does is say become my case workers best friend he doesn't question the law guardian about my daughters care which would all prove my daughter was well taken care of. i don't know what to do or how to go about changing public defenders . I need some one who cares about my case some one who will fight for me and my family. I am tired of being stuck because my public defender doesn't try . And was told by the judge when i stated i didn't have a voice in court Quote i believe your lawyer is doing an excellent job with your case. if that were the case most of my concerns questions and things that could help me would be met in some form. The judge also does the same. Never once has she gone against CPS or asked questions about my case . Just listens and follows all CPS recommendations. I need help and i don't know my rights and when i ask my lawyer i get no feed back.

family_man

Re: need to know if i need to fire my public defender

Postby family_man » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am

I would confront this attorney when he's sober and ask him what happened in the bathroom that day. If he can't come up with a reasonable explanation, tell him that you want him to resign quietly from your case. If he doesn't, tell him you will file your own motion with the court to have him removed from your case because of his suspected drug abuse. Put everything in that statement that you posted on this forum. Your attorney will probably not want to have his reputation damaged in court, so I expect he will leave quietly.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

greyskyeyes

Postby greyskyeyes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Thankyou , i appreciate the advice. Its not the first time i have witnessed him in the manner i previously explained.?

thepenguinpitt

Postby thepenguinpitt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 am

Anyone who has a public defender who is not meeting expectations should tell them that you expect them to defend you agressively, and that instead of telling you to do whatever CPS wants they should defend you as if your innocent even if they dont think you are. If you dont see a change in their representation then tell them you are not happy with them and would like them to file a motion to withdraw. This will guarantee that you will be assigned a new lawyer. I had to do this with my case and thank God I did.. the new lawyer I was given was awesome. Just having someone who actually listened to me and read all of my documents gave me the confidence to keep going and we ended up winning our case and got our kids back. You have a legal right to be represented adequately, stand up for your rights or no one else will.

Return to “Drug Related Cases”