How many drug tests are needed????

Drug abuse, treatment, research, and laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

vintage00gypsy

How many drug tests are needed????

Postby vintage00gypsy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:33 pm

I have to know if it is common everywhere to be given two or more tests every week for a year? Also, if one of them comes out as a positive, is later found to be a false positive, how can this be used against a person... I mean, the tests are not 100% correct, so by giving this many tests are they not setting a person up to have a false positive? Also, why are there not standards as to how each tester evaluates results? I found out that some positives are different depending on where you are tested (as in, how much is needed to determine pos or neg)....

I am irate that they can keep doing this to a person... constant drug testing that comes back clean and yet STILL force a person to go to AA and drug counseling. WTF?!

Also, here in Grand Rapids, MN, the judge forced a friend of mine to stop taking the meds she was prescribed for ADHD bc it was a narcotic. The county attorney acually told her to get a notebook and try to keep track of things better instead of taking her meds. I mean, my gosh, she had been seeing the same professionals for years. They all defended her and said it was making it harder for her to follow their ridiculous regimen because she could not focus well enough to do so. The court never even okayed the choice with her med providers, which I have read it supposed to have been done. Everything was just done by the suggestion of cps.

This is expensive.... to keep testing someone over and over for a YEAR! That is at least two random tests a week, whenever they want... and you have to be there within a certain amount of time in order to not get an automatic positive. It messes w a person's life and mind. It also costs taxpayers a lot of money, given that most the people who are getting these tests like this are on medical assistance.

I dunno. It's so insane to me to keep a child away from it's mom (one of her kids was breastfeeding when they pulled the kids for literally no reason at all. her husband had hit her and she was scared to leave the kids while she went to the hospital so she agreed to put them on a 24 hr hold w her normal daycare and then didn't get them back for a YEAR!) She is on this site, too. I am sure she will weigh in if she gets a chance.

Anyway, I guess I would like to know if this is common elsewhere and if there is anything that can be done about it?

LindaJM

Re: How many drug tests are needed????

Postby LindaJM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:07 pm

I've never taken a drug test for any reason ever... but I know that most CPS-involved people are forced into taking them these days. I don't know what the frequency is. I agree that what's happening to you seems excessive and a huge waste of taxpayer funding. If it were me I'd discuss this with my county commissioner, and next time I was in court I'd make it clear to the judge that the drug testing is all negative and not needed.

If the drug testing is not court ordered you could request an administrative hearing. It could depend on the exact wording of the court order. For example, if the court order requires random UA's you could ask for an administrative hearing to have an ALJ rule on how frequent these drug tests should be.

And... then there's the court of public opinion. You would think the taxpayers would like to know how their money is being wasted, and you could do that with a letter to the editor of the newspaper. But keep in mind that your primary objective isn't to embarrass caseworkers; it is to get your children back home. Go with your gut feelings on what is most likely to get your children home. Publicity can come later. I say that because it helps some cases but doesn't help others.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

thepenguinpitt

Postby thepenguinpitt » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:10 pm

How many are needed you ask, as many as they want if you agree to them in the first place. I would stop right now and never do another one. If all the ones you have done so far have been clean then that is enough. Remember you dont have to prove that you dont use drugs, they have to prove that you do. They will keep asking for them until they get a false positive. We refused to take any drug tests for CPS because they had no reason to be asking for them. Unless they are accusing you of neglecting your children for drugs then they shouldnt be asking you to do drug tests. If I could make one point loud and clear to every single person who has to deal with CPS it would be this...In order for CPS to prove neglect due to drug use they first have to have proof that you use drugs, they cannot do that without any drug test results. Do not give them a drug test ever....they will threaten you and say that you will never get your children back, but if they have no conclusive drug test results.. it is hard to prove any drug use. If you check my old posts you can get more insight into how we won our case without taking any drug tests for them.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:57 am

I agree on not taking drug tests - unless they are court ordered. Once a judge orders them it looks bad if you refuse to do as requested.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

*Lady Liberty

Postby *Lady Liberty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:06 pm

It is standard practice. Drug test and psychological test.

It is because they have nothing and are relying on you to build a case for them.

They will document a false-positive for missing one as well.

This is how they get you.

They are trying to break you down.

I had to do mine for two years. I had never used drugs, my psychological test said I wasn't even at risk for using drugs. I was forced to call in everyday. If the phone system went down, I went in and did a voluntary test so they couldn't use it against me.

Same thing this go around, off the bat, they ordered UAs and a psychological test.

Have an attorney write a Motion for them to desist in disrupting your life.

A Court Order does not make it just.

Return to “Drug Related Cases”