My baby was taken and need info on parent rights

Drug abuse, treatment, research, and laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Stardboy

My baby was taken and need info on parent rights

Postby Stardboy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:05 pm

My baby was taken from me and his father at birth because of my drug use. It has since been almost 2 hears since then me and his father have complied with everything the court has ordered. At first my child was placed with a family who he remained with only until recently. With a family member already passing a back ground check dot him to be placed with my social work, who BTW is my 4th one in less than 15 months, placed him with a cps family instead. His father never signed away his rights to cps like how I did in the begining so my son could be placed. Both of us have passed wvey drug test given and as of now it's at a point where I believe our rights as parents are being seriously violated and I have a since of urgency to find out our rights and more info of what to do because my baby has shown recent signs of distress with leaving our visits lately since being placed with the new family. (Visits a only 2 times a week supervised with his father having and hour once a week unsupervised) my case is ridiculous and I don't know what direction to go in anymore or what the law is in Hawaii. I feel as though they want my child to be in the system only to fatten the pocket's of the state employee's and aren't looking out for his best intrest. Please anyone lmk any info at all that can be helpful or if you wish to know more about my situation I can answer that as well. Thanks ... a lost and concerned mother in Hawaii.

Henry's Dad

Re: My baby was taken and need info on parent rights

Postby Henry's Dad » Tue May 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello

First let me say that I feel for you and the predicament you and your family are in. There are some similarities to my own situation, so, I'd like to share some things that have been beneficial in my case. First, you said that your case was substance use related so above all ...stay sober! If you are not doing UAs to prove you are clean, then you should start. All of your hard work in sobriety will not matter to others without verifiable proof. Also if you don't have a lawyer, get one, today. Most attorneys will give you an initial consultation for free. Talk to several before hiring one. Some will scare the hell out of you with doom and gloom, then offer their services as salvation, others may inform you of your options and say its up to you what you want to do. They will all charge you a hell of a lot of money. Find someone you feel comfortable with and remember, they work for you. If you can't afford an attorney you will have to be your own advocate. Check around to see if there are any pro bono or sliding scale legal services. Law schools sometimes have drop in times where you can ask young prospective lawyers for help. When seeking ad hoc legal help do your homework and be prepared with very specific questions about the law. Anything you can learn for yourself, you will not need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to tell you. That means reading the actual statutes in your state which pertain to child "protective" cases. Usually you can find the statute online. Try a google search or the attorney generals web page in your state. This is no small task and not for the faint of heart. I am suggesting that you litterally read hundreds of pages of law, to prepare yourself to challenge a government agency which would otherwise take full advantage of your ignorance of the system. Knowlage is power. Lastly, if someone from social services tells you the sky is blue...you go outside and look for yourself. Do not trust them, do not go along, to get along. You FIGHT for your child every step of the way. That does not mean be belligerent and confrontational. It means knowing your rights and insisting that they be respected.

Hope this helps
Henry's Dad
"A calm sea never made a skilled Sailor"

Henry's Dad

Postby Henry's Dad » Tue May 24, 2016 9:39 pm

I put "Hawaii child protective statute" in Google search and got this

http://law.justia.com/codes/hawaii/2009 ... hapter-587

If you do the same search you will find the first result is a state gov. Page. Click on it to download the law in PDF format. That's probly a better source.

One last thing...This is not John Grisham type reading. This is how to get my child back type reading
stick with it, grind it out, get help,

Good Luck
Henry's Dad
"A calm sea never made a skilled Sailor"

Stardboy

Postby Stardboy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:49 am

Thank you so much for the advice and input. Just an update with what's been going on. The father recently contacted his lawyer about having a missed visit with our baby made up seeing as how dhs was to blame. After speaking to his lawyer, the lawyer called our worker. Next encounter my son's gather had with our worker she said to him and I quote "I can make things harder for you". Later on henrecieves a call from the place where we take our u.a. test and our social worker changed his color which was a once a month color to the highest risk level color for beginners which requires one to take a minimum of 2 or more text a week. Also does anyone have information on parent rights in attending doctor appointments my baby may have? I need information on this topic asap. I believe my worker has to gave broken some type of law.

Stardboy

Postby Stardboy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:57 am

Please excuse my typos. My keyboard isn't functioning properly. Will fix within the next few days.

Return to “Drug Related Cases”