Couples counseler called cps due to two drinks

Drug abuse, treatment, research, and laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Wrigh495

Couples counseler called cps due to two drinks

Postby Wrigh495 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:50 am

I am an alcoholic and had two drinks on my moms death anniversary after the kids fell asleep. 'Y husband came home and took them to his moms for the night because of it claiming he didn't know how much I drank and refused to let me do a breathalyzer. Now CPS is wanting to meet within a day or two. 'Y counselor said not to worry and to express that I will seek more intensive treatment. Should I expect it to really be that simple? They said it would probably be about a half hour? What should I expect? Drug testing even with no previous drug use? Should I record them? I'm worried to contact a lawyer because I don't want to seem non compliant since we currently aren't being investigated just a family assessment they said. My husband doesn't understand that any word could be used badly so saying "neglect" for example when he defines neglect as simply having a drink after bedtime - could cost us the kids.

KDus

Re: Couples counseler called cps due to two drinks

Postby KDus » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:52 pm

CPS has a job. It is to figure out what you do wrong. Everything you say will be used AGAINST you.
As soon as you show resistance it will get ugly.
Yes, you are being investigated. Why else are they talking to you?
Your counselor is unlikely to be a good source of advice. "Mandated reporters" have no idea how must their good intention will cost YOU.
CPS will come back with a "plan" for you to sign and they'll say it is voluntary. They won't tell you it is negotiable.
It may not be legal to record them. Because of that, they can claim you said whatever they want.
I say it is worth consulting an attorney before talking to CPS. You need to know whether you can get rid of CPS by refusing the plan or face the slippery slope of playing along and submitting to the microscope of people that think they know what is best for your family.
You may need advice on negotiating a less invasive plan or proposing your own.

lori1968

Re: Couples counseler called cps due to two drinks

Postby lori1968 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:55 pm

please forgive if im out of line... is your relationship between you n your husband good n loving? Dont talk to anyone until youve gotten good sound advice legal advice! Why would a couples counselor call cps for two drinks? Its not uncommon for abusers to go tocounseling promising they will change only to cause you more harm. I hope im wrong.

Return to “Drug Related Cases”