How do I go about acquiring a copy of the caseworkers' reports?

For newcomers to this message board

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

sing.a

How do I go about acquiring a copy of the caseworkers' reports?

Postby sing.a » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:49 pm

In order to be able to compose a Statement of Objections and Corrections to the Report of the Social Worker, I first need to obtain that report. How do I go about doing so? I have a court appointed attorney who will not return my calls, so I'll probably be putting in all of the leg work myself. This is a time sensitive matter, as are all of these cases, so I can't wait around.

KDus

Re: How do I go about acquiring a copy of the caseworkers' reports?

Postby KDus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:16 pm

you should have everything the attorney has.
They will probably try to "serve" you in the hallway right before the next hearing. While illegal, they know you don't want to take another day off work or risk missing a visit and you don't know the law, so they don't expect you to complain.
You are a party to the case and you can go to the court clerk and inspect the case file. The latest report may not be in there because they are waiting until right before the hearing to file it. You can object but, consider the strategy. They are likely to get angry when you expect them to follow the law.
The judge won't like it, but even she, will have to follow the rules to avoid procedure issues if you object.

If you discover the attorney isn't getting documents to you asap, you need to inform the judge, on the record.

sing.a

Re: How do I go about acquiring a copy of the caseworkers' reports?

Postby sing.a » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 am

The attorney hasn't even spoken to me yet. He was appointed to us on December 8th and hasn't so much as returned a phone call. I wrote a letter as suggested which I will be mailing a physical copy of, as well as e-mailing to the attorney with a list of all contacts, witnesses, and references included. Right now I am gathering signed witness statements to the incident in question to include as well.

Return to “Read this before posting”