Terminating Parental Rights Question!

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

CAUrban

Terminating Parental Rights Question!

Postby CAUrban » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi I'm looking to terminate my ex's parental rights for abandonment of the child. He has no relationship with our daughter and hasn't had one since she was born. She's 15 months and I've had sole custody. He signed full custody to me about 3 months ago. He's signed TPR paperwork and notarized them, I have done the same, just haven't filed the paperwork with the court.

If his parental rights are terminated in the state of CT, can the father's brother (my daughter's uncle) and parents (my daughter's grandparents) still have rights to visitations of my daughter? Thank you!

LindaJM

Re: Terminating Parental Rights Question!

Postby LindaJM » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 pm

Usually, unless there's a court order to the contrary, it would be up to you to decide who gets to see your child, and that includes a grandparent, even one whose child still had parental rights.

Honestly, I hope you would consider allowing visits, for your child's sake, so she can know her real relatives, unless there's some reason you feel they're unfit, or dangerous in some way.

I think you should hurry and file those papers or eventually the county will probably say they're too out-of-date!
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

CAUrban

Postby CAUrban » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Yes I would allow visits, but only to those I feel it is safe. How would a court order prevent visits? Can my ex request that there be no visitations with our daughter and his family members?

family_man

Postby family_man » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:48 pm

The court order could not prevent visits. The order might only mandate visits with certain people, usually the the other parent. SInce he has voluntarily relinquished is parental rights, the court would not order that he have visitation rights. You have sole full custody. You get to decide who visits your child and on what terms.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Legal Research”