Can an Adopted child "terminate adopted parental rights"?

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

LeelaKidwell70

Can an Adopted child "terminate adopted parental rights"?

Postby LeelaKidwell70 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:22 am

My daughter was "legally kidnapped". We (mother, SW & foster/adopted parents) agreed to keep in contact via: pictures, e-mail and phone calls after the judge terminated my rights due to "lack of bonding". The SW kept me from visitation with my daughter cause CPS "didn't have transportation". And start visitation when she is old enough to decide for her self.

Well, everything stopped within 3 months after our agreement. I have been searching for my daughter since. And thanks to teens being teens, wanting to be on the internet. I have found her!!

We chat a few times and she has talked to older & younger siblings. My daughter informed us that she hasn't had a very good life with her adopted parents & their are divorce now. Adopted mother has re-married and more emotional, mental & physical abuse is going on. She wants to be back with us and she is 15 years old.
Told her that I didn't think I could get her back but she could come visit any time.

We decided to inform her adopted mother of us wanting visits and phone conversation. Next thing we knew, all e-mail accounts, Facebook, interest, YouTube and Google accounts was deleted!

Was wondering if there was anyway that my daughter can divorce her parents?
Or get their "rights terminated"?

I know where they live, in Kentucky. So I could figure out someway of getting messages to my daughter & If she wants to take this step.

But would like ALL the information I can get before I present with anything.

Eljay

Re: Can an Adopted child "terminate adopted parental rights"

Postby Eljay » Thu May 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Emancipation. Very timely story in the news from a series of reports that Fox News in LA has been doing:

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/22142031/t ... Id=8835223

http://www.kyjustice.org/node/618

and finally,

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0087,d.cGE

Look for a page for the high school she attends, then poke around on the student's pages and see if you can find a friend maybe. Or just go volunteer at the school. :)
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm

BTW, in TPR cases, it is the *PARENTS* rights which are terminated (even though you had arrangements otherwise)... *NOT* the child's rights. The CHILD still has rights and should be able to reach out to you... it just doesn't work the other way around.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

LeelaKidwell70

Postby LeelaKidwell70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

Eljay wrote:BTW, in TPR cases, it is the *PARENTS* rights which are terminated (even though you had arrangements otherwise)... *NOT* the child's rights. The CHILD still has rights and should be able to reach out to you... it just doesn't work the other way around.

Thanks! I've called every single attorney in the state of Kentucky and no one will take my case or help me out.

I haven't been able to get a hold her since the adopted mother was told. I did find the adopted father and sent him an e-mail to request phone calls & visits with her siblings atleast. And Informed him that they should talk to her (my daughter) and their Preacher (says they go to church on their facebook) in making that decision but he hasn't responded to none of my emails. So I'm taking that as a "NO."

I'm planning on selling my home in Texas and moving back to Kentucky to be closer to her so when she does turn 18 years old. She won't have far to go to find me.

Don't know what else to do....so giving it God and pray that I will see her before I die. I want her to know how much she is missed and loved from her REAL family!

Return to “Legal Research”