Illegal Adoption

For those who need to know the laws.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Ambersmom

Illegal Adoption

Postby Ambersmom » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

We lost our parental rights in January 2007 due to false charges from DCFS. We just found out recently through our own investigation that they had our daughter adopted out. We were never informed by DCFS or any social worker that our daughter was adopted out. It was only through our own investigation that we finally find out.
Does anyone have any information pertaining to this? Basically we want to know if there's any legal action we can take to obtain visitation rights/ and or to regain legal custody of our child, since this was essentially an illegal adoption. By the way, we don't know who adopted her, and they will not give us any information. We are in the state of California.
Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

family_man

Re: Illegal Adoption

Postby family_man » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:27 pm

I'm sorry, but if your parental rights were terminated, then the adoption was not illegal. That is what CPS tries to do in a timely manner, instead of letting the children bounce from one foster family or institution to another until they age out at 21. I know that losing parental rights, and hence all contact with your children must be a terrible, heart-wrenching thing. But at least you can take at least a little bit of comfort knowing that some family cared enough about your children that it was willing to commit to their life-long care through adoption.
Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice.

Return to “Legal Research”