Has the ACLU helped?

Discuss all aspects of suing CPS and its affiliates for the injustice done to your family.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

AMLC

Has the ACLU helped?

Postby AMLC » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:57 am

I was told to contact the ACLU to see about getting help after my civil rights were violated by CPS. The organization here can only be contacted by email and they haven't ever answered anything.

Has anyone ever gotten their local group to help when it comes to dealing with CPS violations?

fatherofthree

Re: Has the ACLU helped?

Postby fatherofthree » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:16 am

It seems as if the ACLU only helps when they get publicity.
DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney and am not providing legal advice.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:50 am

Well, they HAVE.... remember the guy who went to a baseball game and bought his 7-yr old son a "Mike's Hard Lemonade" not knowing it was alcoholic? Then CPS took the kids for a day or two? ACLU stepped in a filed a lawsuit, and won.

http://voiceofdetroit.net/2011/04/24/ch ... l-lawsuit/

In April, Michigan even passed new legislation dictating higher standards for removal of children:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12122&p=67212&hilit=lemonade#p67212

So, it can happen, but it has to be something that is going to give them their desired media coverage so that they can bolster more support. And they're not going to do it in every state.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

MaggieNYC

Postby MaggieNYC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:08 pm

That Michigan case is rare indeed. Apparently, both or at least one of the parents is a professor and a legal team from the University was Johnny on the Spot with that one.
In my experience both with CPS cases and with grandparent visitation cases against fit parents (I worked on one of the Troxel USSC briefs back in 1999/2000), the ACLU doesn't ordinarily become involved. Perhaps because they are stretched very thin----who knows?

AMLC

Postby AMLC » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:57 pm

I was old that here they do not have very many resources to take cases. I also figured that they would be more likely to take a "high profile" case. I don't think my case is what they consider high profile.

One Congressman in Michigan (Representative Hansen Clarke) has been going toe to toe with CPS Congressman wants U.S. Attorney General to investigate Michigan Child Protective Services.

I have a friend who lives in Michigan and he says they are picking up kids left and right.

Geesh, what I wouldn't give for a few Million Bucks worth of attorney right now.

I looked up the salaries of the caseworker and the supervisors and if I made as much as they do, I could afford an attorney. The caseworker makes $4,495.20 mo for getting on the phone and saying "I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, I will have to ask my supervisor." The 1 supervisor makes $72,972.48 (plus overtime and "other" pay) for apparently never answering the questions she was going to ask him. I couldn't find the other supervisors pay listed, but whatever he gets paid, it is to much.

Each state really needs somewhere that people can turn to when this agency messes up.

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 am

AMLC wrote:
Each state really needs somewhere that people can turn to when this agency messes up.

Some states (maybe all?) have an ombudsman to help. If they had 90% of CPS families calling them for help, there would have to be SOME elevation of awareness!

Here is Michigan's: http://www.michigan.gov/oco
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

MaggieNYC

Postby MaggieNYC » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:26 pm

AMLC where are you? You don;t have to be terribly specific about same, just your state and county would do alright as there are many smaller legal aid groups across the country who may help in these matters.

Return to “Sue Them!”