Foster Home Abuse and Fraud

Discuss all aspects of suing CPS and its affiliates for the injustice done to your family.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

barney097

Foster Home Abuse and Fraud

Postby barney097 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:50 am

I will condense this story, as the nightmare lasted for years.
The school referred my 13 year old son to court for beyond control, and sex abuse 3rd. A female class mate who liked my son had accused him of exposing himself, because he wouldn't be her boyfriend. Turns out he had met this girl in the "alternative class" the school had placed my son in without telling me. I filed a formal complaint with the state when I found out about the alternative class placement, and I won! The state found "numerous violations". This infuriated the school, and I now know they retaliated against my family because I exercised my right to advocate for my child!

After more than a year of court dates for my son, and out of the blue, my parental rights were stripped in 2010, and my son became a ward of the state. No one saw this coming, we learned from his appointed attorney when we got to court that morning that he would be removed. He was turned over to CHFS, and ordered to complete a 4 month long sexual therapy course. By the way, I wasn't appointed an attorney through the whole ordeal. I was told later that because I wasn't a "bad parent", they could legally remove my child without counsel?

My son was turned over to an older male social worker, a self described "man of God" This worker placed my son in a foster home 180 miles from our home. As we are poor, visits were few. As we were ordered to pay the state child support, we were even poorer.

As my son would go through each level of the 6 level program, we would celebrate over the phone, and count the days remaining. It didn't work that way though. Half way through the last level, with only a couple of weeks left, a staff worker at the home made him start the program over because he defended himself from an attack from 2 older boys. With our hearts broken, my son started through the program again, only to have the same thing happen again after 6 more months in the home with only a few days left. This time one of the staff actually followed him to his room and attacked him. My son was injured in this attack. He was choked and his genitals were torn by this staff. He was bleeding to the point it was soaking towels with his blood, yet they wouldn't take him to the hospital until the next day. Due to the nature of his injuries social services was called to the hospital, and an investigation was started. I never heard anymore about it.

I wasn't made aware of the attack until 2 days later by my sons social worker. The social worker didn't even mention my son was injured, only he had been in a scuffle with staff, and most likely would have to start the program over again!

When I learned the truth from my son on his call day, I called the social worker and told him I wanted my son home! The social worker told me he couldn't bring my son home, only the judge could do that, and until the boy finished the program he wouldn't be back before the judge. I told the social worker I wanted my son out of that home NOW! Two days later the social worker removes my son from that home, and places him on the homes main campus 60 miles away, where he started the program for the 3rd time.

While on the new campus, my son made really good friends with one of the counselors. My son told the counselor how he had been treated, and just wanted to go home. The counselor told him how things were, and what he was worth to the home. He described the "levels of care" , and what each level was worth to the home in dollars. He told my son he was on level 5, and was worth over $6000 dollars a month to the home, and that was why he was sabotaged and started over so many times.

After learning this I contacted a state senator, and my son was home in about a month.

Eljay

Re: Foster Home Abuse and Fraud

Postby Eljay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Yes, it is all about the money. I think there may be some confusion regarding the "termination" of parental rights... TPR is a *permanent* termination of rights and you would not have been able to talk to him nor kept apprised of his progress. It sounds like they took CUSTODY of him, but didn't TPR (otherwise, he wouldn't have come home).

It is refreshing to learn that your state senator went to bat for you. So often, the politicians claim that they have no power/control/influence over CPS and refer you back to the exact department. It's when they make some phone calls and write letters, letting CPS know that somebody is on to their greedy ways (someone OTHER than a parent) that they have a tendency to clean up their act.

How is your son doing now? I hope all is well in your family!
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

barney097

Postby barney097 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Eljay wrote:Yes, it is all about the money. I think there may be some confusion regarding the "termination" of parental rights... TPR is a *permanent* termination of rights and you would not have been able to talk to him nor kept apprised of his progress. It sounds like they took CUSTODY of him, but didn't TPR (otherwise, he wouldn't have come home).

It is refreshing to learn that your state senator went to bat for you. So often, the politicians claim that they have no power/control/influence over CPS and refer you back to the exact department. It's when they make some phone calls and write letters, letting CPS know that somebody is on to their greedy ways (someone OTHER than a parent) that they have a tendency to clean up their act.

How is your son doing now? I hope all is well in your family!
My son is doing well right now, but our whole family is still shell shocked. My son still has "electric shocks" and dizzy spells. We figure it is from the HUGE amounts of psychotropic meds he was forced to take for more than a year.. The counselor my son became friends with told him the drugs made him worth more money. That may also be the reason my son came home with glasses. When I asked him where he got them, he told me staff drove several of the new kids around to optometrists one day. He said they went to 3 different doctors that day. The first 2 eye doctors said his vision was fine. The last declared all of the kids legally blind!

One reason I posted the partial story in this "Sue forum" was because the social worker sexually abused my son by soliciting him for oral sex. This happened when the social worker was transporting my son home for a visit. My son told me what the social worker did, and I waited for the sob to mess up, and he did! Other wise, it would have been my sons word against a social worker who was known as a "man of God" locally.

The social worker confirmed my son had told the truth by continually questioning me, and my sons therapist what the boy had told us about a certain situation. I reported the incident to the state, and so did the therapist! The worker was investigated, and forced into retirement.

I have an attorney working on parts of this case, but the attorney says social workers are hard to sue for damages? That's one reason I joined this forum. Can we successfully sue this guy and recover monetary damages?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Forced into RETIREMENT???? NOT JAIL?!?!????!

Yeesh. Caseworkers are immune from prosecution WHEN THEY ARE FOLLOWING THE LAW! Not when they are breaking the law or deviating from law/policy/guidelines of the department. And the kids for money thing? *sigh* yeah... I think the corruption is fairly widespread, but there is so little/no oversight that it's hard to clean it up. CPS has their "service providers" and they all feed off of eachother... the psychologists are the REALLY bad ones because they are guaranteed work if they will diagnose mental illness in kids/parents, so it is in their best interest to find a diagnosis, no matter HOW healthy they are! If they consistently find MI, then CPS *LOVES* them because they can bill the Federal gov't $10,000 for treatment and pay the doctor $6,000 for the treatment. It's gravy money for everyone. That is why, if every asked to do a drug test or psych eval, GO TO YOUR OWN DOCTORS OR LABS!!!

The "men of god" in some circles have greater reputations for perversion than piety! Not like I'm going to specify someplace like the Los Angeles Catholic church or anything. :/

Anyhow.... I do wish you the best and your son full recovery!! Please keep us posted.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Return to “Sue Them!”