Schizophrenia and CPS

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Beatthescammers

Schizophrenia and CPS

Postby Beatthescammers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am

I had to take my schizophrenic daughter to the ER Monday night because she decompensated and was having hallucinations, delusions, and self-mutilating behaviors. While I was in the admitting office giving the clerk her insurance cards, my delusional and hallucinating daughter told the doctor that a bruise under her eye came from her me hitting and kicking her. (I didn't hit or kick her and have never done this.) I found this out when an x-ray tech showed up to do x-rays of my daughter's skull. I refused to allow them to x-ray her skull because she didn't need her skull x-rayed.

My daughter is currently in a locked psychiatric ward. CPS showed up and interviewed her Tuesday in the locked psych ward (while she is still very ill). I asked my daughter what she told CPS (but she is an unreliable witness). My daughter told me that she told the CPS worker that her parents were very good to her. I asked the hospital's social worker in the psych unit to be present when the CPS worker arrived so the CPS worker would not prompt answers from a delusional and hallucinating child. CPS did this previously in an unfounded case two years ago.) The hospital's social worker was not on the hospital floor to be in the room when the CPS worker interviewed my daughter so God only knows what occurred.

When CPS called my home today, I told them that I had done everything possible to help my very mentally ill daughter who has schizophrenia. I told her that she was delusional and hallucinating in the ER. I then told her that if she had further questions about my delusional and hallucinating daughter that she she contact my attorney. I gave her my attorney's number.

Should I have allowed the CPS monster to come into my home on a witch hunt or did I do the right thing? Thank you in advance.

Eljay

Re: Schizophrenia and CPS

Postby Eljay » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Just know that the must investigate and the best thing to do is record the conversation (check your state laws, inform them if necessary, if THEY choose not to speak, that is their choice). Get the details on *exactly* what they are investigating and respond to just those issues/concerns/allegations. Pretty much anything beyond that they are fishing. You want to give them just what they need to close their case, and nothing more.

You could tell them you'll meet with them WITH your attorney, but your attorney is not going to help them move forward with investigating and closing their case. Did they ask you if you hit/kicked her?
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

Beatthescammers

Postby Beatthescammers » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Thank you for responding. No, the CPS worker didn't ask me any questions over the telephone. She stated that she wanted to make a home visit and that is when I told her the above. The social worker at the hospital was the person that told me that there was an open CPS case and about the alleged abuse from my delusional, hallucinating daughter.

The CPS person told my attorney that she needs me to sign a form to review my daughter's pediatric records. My child has a very boring medical record except for her mental illness treatment (All her immunizations are up-to-date, no previous ER visits, no broken bones at any time, and etc...) Should I sign this release and let her look? (She can get the records without a release anyways.)

My attorney states that he will happily come to my home during any home visit (I must pay him, of course), so if this MUST occur, I will have him present. I am not signing a safety plan or any other bs. I'm not letting her snoop through my medical records (which are also extremely boring), take a urine drug test, or any other crap. If she wants to pursue this, she can take me to trial.

Any other suggestions?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Beatthescammers wrote:Thank you for responding. No, the CPS worker didn't ask me any questions over the telephone. She stated that she wanted to make a home visit and that is when I told her the above. The social worker at the hospital was the person that told me that there was an open CPS case and about the alleged abuse from my delusional, hallucinating daughter.

The CPS person told my attorney that she needs me to sign a form to review my daughter's pediatric records. My child has a very boring medical record except for her mental illness treatment (All her immunizations are up-to-date, no previous ER visits, no broken bones at any time, and etc...) Should I sign this release and let her look? (She can get the records without a release anyways.)

My attorney states that he will happily come to my home during any home visit (I must pay him, of course), so if this MUST occur, I will have him present. I am not signing a safety plan or any other bs. I'm not letting her snoop through my medical records (which are also extremely boring), take a urine drug test, or any other crap. If she wants to pursue this, she can take me to trial.

Any other suggestions?

You need to get EXACTLY what the allegations are, in writing if possible. If there is NO allegation regarding your home, they do not need to see your home. If there are no allegations of drug use (and I mean SPECIFIC allegations, not just "she does drugs") then they don't need a drug test. You can be specific regarding what records you will agree to release. You can state that you want only MH records released, or only for the last 5 years. You can also limit the time during which they have access, i.e. "until October 31st."

If the allegations have only to do with her single outburst then they only need to investigate that and nothing else. No, they do not NEED to know your shoe size or color of your drapes to complete this investigation.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

Beatthescammers

Postby Beatthescammers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Tonight I was informed by the social worker who is employed by the hospital that when CPS arrives at my home on Tues for our meeting, they will have a list of services that the hospital's psychiatrist wants her to receive.

I cannot sign any form by CPS agreeing to their "services" which will then put me on the child abuse registry. I am not a child abuser. I am a nurse, will be fired from my job, and may never be employed again as I have to work with children.

When I don't sign this form CPS will then go to a judge and tell him/her that I am a negligent parent because I won't agree to their service plan, sign my name, and end up on the child abuser registry.

My schizophrenic daughter (who is still hearing voices as of tonight when I left visiting hours) will be sent to some foster care home where she will kill herself or run away and be found dead in a ditch. I realize that after CPS would take my daughter that I would get a trial within 72 hours to prove to a judge that I am not a negligent parent, but my mentally ill daughter will have run away from the foster home and will be dead by this time.

Please advise. I don't have any family in this city to be her foster parents, but my son who is 22 lives in the same state. What about transferring guardianship very quickly?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Beatthescammers wrote:Tonight I was informed by the social worker who is employed by the hospital that when CPS arrives at my home on Tues for our meeting, they will have a list of services that the hospital's psychiatrist wants her to receive. ... Please advise. I don't have any family in this city to be her foster parents, but my son who is 22 lives in the same state. What about transferring guardianship very quickly?

You need to be calm and in control.... there is no need for CPS to offer any services because your daughter's physician, psychiatrist, health insurance and parents are an effective and proactive TEAM who are seeing that she gets the best medical care possible. There is no lacking in her medical care.

Don't refuse to sign anything... ask them to explain why she needs THEIR services and exactly how YOUR services are inadequate (they're not, they can't know any such info since it's not true). Tell them you'll think about it, to leave the form so you can discuss it with the pediatrician, the psychiatrist, your insurance company (they may try to bill your insurance anyhow). Also be sure to grill the case worker on her MH qualifications, certifications AND experience (which will likely be lacking).

Make clear that there was no abuse, that she while she stated mom hit her, she also stated there were little green men under the bed, or whatever she says.

Beatthescammers

Postby Beatthescammers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:43 pm

Excellent advice. I thank you very, very much.

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 pm

I very much doubt they will put daughter in a personal home, besides yours, with that specific diagnosis. If anything, she'll be in a group home and this all just sounds like a giant money grab. Your daughter is worth an awful lot to them and to have the monies that are being paid by you already for her care, switched over into their bucket, is their goal.

That's what they're after, up to 9k a month for a child like this in a group home.

If your paid lawyer says just to go along with them, i have heard they are worthless. You can go along with them yourself and get the same results, a substantiated charge of child abuse.

When they get into your home, it is opening up a book for them. I've read one ss worker who within minutes was in the lady's prescription bottle counting pills and when she found she was a few off, wrote up that she was not taking prescribed medications as prescribed! I think it's awful what they are doing to you and it makes me very very upset and angry. (bit of a transference issue here...) It seems to me they are just using your daughter's organic illness to take custody. I had an adopted sister growing up who was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 19. She for the most part has lived an okay life, once in a while there is a hospitalization....
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Return to “CPS Investigations”