Being investigated and CPS will not tell us why

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

dgaw2001

Being investigated and CPS will not tell us why

Postby dgaw2001 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:38 am

On May 15th we came home to find a letter on our door from CPS stating that we are being investigated and needed to call the case worker. I called and left a voicemail that evening. We spoke the next day (5/16) while I was at one of my kid's baseball games and she wanted a meeting at our home. I explained that my wife and I coach and transport our kids (we have 4. 16, 13, 9 and 7) to sports and extracurricular activities 6 nights a week, but we would discuss it and come up with something. This was our last direct communication. She called later and left a voicemail requesting to talk to our kids at school.

I called back the next day (5/17) and had to leave a voicemail. I let her know that she could meet with our kids with us present. I also requested information on the reason we were being investigated.

I did not hear back from her so I called early Monday morning 5/22 asking to discuss a meeting and requested the same information again.

On Tuesday 5/23 I received a call at work from my wife telling me that our case worker had interviewed our youngest child (7yo) at school that morning. She also attempted to talk to our 9yo but he requested his older brother and sister be present so she did not continue the interview. Upon hearing this I was extremely upset as I had attempted to cooperate with her and she went after our youngest, most vulnerable child. I called her cell and her office phone and had to leave voicemails on both. I repeated my request for a meeting and information. I also called the regional supervisor and had to leave a voicemail there as well.

Now on May 24 I mailed out to letters of request for information to both our case worker and the regional supervisor.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get a copy of the report filed against my family and how to receive a response from my case worker? I'm at a loss and extremely stressed. God bless.

dieharddad

Re: Being investigated and CPS will not tell us why

Postby dieharddad » Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 am

dgaw2001, I am so sorry that you are being subjected to this. Please read all of the information here on the site to prepare yourself for dealing with cps. I understand that you wish to find out why they are investigating you as anyone would. However, the fact is they are investigating you and they can withhold that information from you (unbelievably) for a long time into the process. At the very least, I would start journaling everything that has taken place up to and from the point at which you were contacted by cps. I'd also make it crystal clear to the school and anyone else who may look after your kids (afterschool program, sports, family, etc.) that you do not want any one to speak unless accompanied by a parent. And finally, if within your means, contact an attorney who specializes in cps work as they can guide you through the process. Even with an attorney, you will still want to educate yourself as best you can on how best to prepare yourself for dealing with cps. Information is power.

Stay connected here and reach out as much as you see fit so that others can provide their experience strength and hope.

dgaw2001

Postby dgaw2001 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:42 am

Since my previous post, my family and I have met with the caseworker and she has visited our home. She notified me via text that our case will be found unsubstantiated. One issue that came up in the report that was filed with DCS is this: "there is a cinder block in the shower upstairs" the house is a fixer-upper so I was using it for a weight. Also "there was a radiator on the floor blocking the toilet", This is a portable space heater that looks like an old school radiator we use in winter. The issue is that no one could have known about these things before filing a complaint because these items are upstairs in our house and we have had no visitors because we are rarely home due to our kids activities. What are my options on the issue that someone was in our home without permission and used that information to file a complaint with DCS?

dieharddad

Postby dieharddad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 am

I hope that cps does find your case unsubstantiated and closes it and that is the end of it. However, I would caution you that cps has been know to say one thing and do another. It is water under the bridge now but I would have been more careful at allowing them into my home (you don't have to unless they have an search warrant signed by a judge) and even if I did, the house would have been spotless with no items out of the ordinary which needed further explanation. I also would have recorded the inspection in some way shape or form (video, audio, or both). At the very least journal as much of the inspection as you can remember. I'd have also had someone there with me (a trusted friend, family member, etc.) as a third party. Anyway, if they are investigating you then you should have received something to that affect in writing. I would do some homework and find out what the laws are in your state as to the procedure. Request this if you have not received and do it in writing so that you have a paper trail. I'd even send certified mail return receipt requested just so they can't say they didn't receive it. Hope for the best but plan for the worst. Do not believe anything they say verbally. If you are voluntarily participating with them that's fine, but be careful and try and document everything that occurs for your records.

Return to “CPS Investigations”