cps investivation about to lose my kids

Are you going through an investigation now? Tell your story and get feedback here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

treytrey1

cps investivation about to lose my kids

Postby treytrey1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:58 am

Hi I'm new to this, so bare withme please. My kids were taken a week before Christmas in 2008. We were sited for enviramental neglect
because the house was extremely dirty and had a huge hole in the kitchen floor. I will admitt that it was pretty bad. Before they we taken
we found out that our son had been molested by another neighborhood boy. This boy is now 16 and since it happened 2 or more years ago,
we think it started when the other boy was 10 and my son was 6, all that was done was the boy was sent to som rehab place for a year.
He had also done this to his sister and yet was allowed back in the home with her. We had also had issues with our oldest being unruly
and violent at times throwing breakables at people, smacking brother and sister and so forth. We were told it was ok to call the police
once she was 12 and have her removed from the home. I actually did this when my husband wasnt home one weekend and we were found
as a call agaisnst us for the molestation and the call to the cops for our daughter. We have had other calls through the past 3-4 years from
noisy neighbors who get upset because the kids don't play nice. We had one from the school saying I hit my two youngest children.
When the children were asked they replied no that I had not hit them. When CPS first got involved it was from one of our latest calls
before we found out about our son. We has a bug problem to add to the house. They let the kids stay in the house for 3 months
and kept saying they would help with the bugs and the floor only to remove them right before Christmas without helping. They did finally
supply us with 3 months of bug services, but we did the rest(had to borrow money to do it). My church fixed the floor, cps did not even
offer the service once the kids were gone.
We found after they were removed that my son had been showing his younger sister some sexual things because of what happened
to him. At first they thought it was us but later realized it wasn't. We havent been charged with a single thing other than the neglect
and we cleaned it all up. We took parenting classes and a non-offenders class for people whose children have been violated.
We have done every last thing and still they won't send them back. The kids are with family thank God. Two of them have
exited custody and are moving to Alabama. The other one goes to court in 2 weeks. The kids never get to see each other
because its two different sides of the family and my oldested daughters therapist made a recommendation in court that we
not be allowed any more contact with her or her brother, (same home) because she acted up after seeing us.
My oldest didnt have any problems, my mom told me that, but she won't argue with the therapist.
This story goes on, but enough for now. I'm just at a lost at what to do.
Im in Tennessee.

Thanks Kelly

Marina

Re: cps investivation about to lose my kids

Postby Marina » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi, and welcome to the site.

What is the situation with the lawyers? Did they give you one?

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm

We have court appt ones. They have done nothing to
Help us. We did everything in the service plan. Our att. Never
Fought anything from day one. They just went along with
The court and cps. We were told if we tried to fight the
Permanent guardianship that they wanted for the kids
That we would lose our rights. However we don't know
What it is that would cause us to lose them. Cps keeps
Saying that we don't have the ability to parent our children,but
Won't tell us what we are doing wrong. This is a very
Distressing case.

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:04 am

Another thing I forgot to mention was that back when the kid were taken, our first cps worker
hit him and then made excuses for it. We didn't even find out until we requested medical records
of the children. Our dr. had written a report about it, but I'm not even sure if he was brought up
on any kind of charges. He suddenly quit a month after getting our case. We did find out from our
atts. that he had a history or spousal abuse, but that we couldn't do anything about the abuse to
my son because it was almost two years old. Our parental rights were violated because we were
never informed about it or that my son had to be hospiatlized at Pennsula, due to the emotional trama.
We have also been slandered by another caseworker(I have witnesses to back this up).
Our children were fed words to use when they were being questioned about the sexual
alligations. They all know the proper names for the body parts and do use it, but the worker
told us what was said and they had uses baby names for them. We know words were put
in their mouths. On one occasion the police had to be called by a civilian on the caseworker(this
is the second caseworker), because they thought she was manhandling my youngest child. My youngest
has a severe case of separation anxiety. She had gotten very upset when we left a visit, and had
lost it. The worker tried to say that my child hit her, kicked her, bit her, spit at her and called her
a name. Mother in law was there, she says only the name calling a a scratch acutually happened.

Kelly

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 am

Kelly, you are lucky your kids are with family and not in foster homes. That's one good thing.

When is your next court hearing?

I suggest you take photos of your much cleaner home and fixed floor and have them ready to show the judge. Also have photos of your children's beds to show you have room for them. Maybe he'll consider sending them home.

How old is your youngest?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Our next court date is Sept. 22nd. The judge already knowa the house
Is clean. That isn't the issue anymore. Our caseworker says we don't have
The ability to pareny our children, however won't tell us what we are
Doing wrong. They tell us we have to move because the boy who
Molested our son still lives in the neighborhood. This has not been
Formally put in the plan, but it is being held against us. We have to sell
Our home to move and that hasn't been easy. But moving doesn't
Even guareentee our children. Our youngest is 8.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Kelly, it sounds like your caseworker has already decided against you. Forget about trying to get on the caseworker's good side; just complete all court ordered services and prepare for court.

Have you written a legal declaration to tell your side of the story? Never include any type of self-incriminatory statement in the statement. ie: Don't say "I was a terrible housekeeper." Instead say, "We had our home repaired." (a positive statement)

Also have you written "Objections and Corrections to the Report of the Social Worker"? In most cases social workers misrepresent the facts in court reports. You can reply to those point by point in a legal document.

Links to samples are here: Legal Document and Information Library ... this will get YOUR side of the story on the court record in a way the judge may not want to ignore.

Not saying these are magic bullets but it will impress the judge if you fight back by writing your own legal documents. Impressing the judge is all you have left.

Good luck with this!

Read: Who Will Help Prepare Your Case?
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

treytrey1

Postby treytrey1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:37 am

Thanks I will try that. Our lawyers havent wanted to even fight this, but my husband is now planning on it.
He says he has nothing to lose since our youngest is with his mom.
I guess I should mention that we now have had 4 caseworkers. The first hit our son,
which I have proof and the second did the most damange to us. The 3rd didn't really do anything
at all, except let everyone else make her decisions for her and when you tried to ask her a question
she would skirt around an answer. Sometimes she would say the kids therapist didnt want us to
have unsupervised visits or more visits than we were getting, however the therapist weren't
the ones watching us with this the kids and the caseworker did mention that we had gotten better
with the kids. We lost contact with our two oldest because my oldest daughters therapist
didn't like us. She never even met us, I talked to her once on the phone and she wouldn't
even talk to me. She told my therapist that she felt we hadn't fully excepted responsibility
for the things that went wrong with the kids, however she never talked to me or my husbsand.
Our third caseworker left for maturnity leave.
The forth hasn't even tried to meet us, and she's been on the case for a month now.
She did finally meet my youngest because her school called when the youngest had an
emotional breakdown and had to have mobile crisis called.
We haven't seen our youngest in a month, because she has started having these outbursts
in the last month and her therapist wants to get her stable. There isn't a court
order to deny us the visit, but the caseworker wont call us back when I have left
messages as to when we can see our child. When I call my att. she doesn't call back.

Thanks

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Remember it is the JUDGE that decides where your child will live, not the caseworker. You don't need to contact these caseworkers at all unless it is to your benefit; what you do need to do is prepare for court and impress the judge.

If your court ordered visitation rights are not being honored, you can file for a state administrative hearing (which is not the same as seeing a judge in juvenile court.) The caseworker is responsible for following court orders, just as you are.
Sample Document Library

Return to “CPS Investigations”