Grandchildren become CPS property for adoption

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Texas Warrior

Grandchildren become CPS property for adoption

Postby Texas Warrior » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 am

I am an RN working for a major hospital in TX. My grandchildren were taken from their parents and sent to an adoptive family in Houston before the judge took away parental rights. CPS and CASA decided to ignore our request to take the children into our home before the 6 month time period was over. My grandchildren were taken on June 6, 2014 from our other house next door due to their parents neglect and inability to keep the utilities on. We were financially not able to help them and I called CPS for help and advice. Their grandfather (my husband who is now disabled)) had a heart attack in 2012 which caused life threatening injuries requiring my full attention. Treatment for this problem went on until resolution by November of 2014. From June 6th, 2014 to December 1st, 2014, we were not physically, emotionally or financially able to care for these 2 little girls age 5 and 9. On December 15, I called CPS asking if we could visit and give the girls their Christmas gifts. The CPS worker said,"Mrs. …. I will see to it that those girls get their Christmas gifts if you bring them by the office. What she did not tell me was that CPS and CASA had already sent the girls to a legal risk / adoptive home on 12-1-14. We found this out when the parents went to take Christmas gifts to the girls the week of Christmas on December 21st and the girls were not brought to their visit. My husband and I discussed the possibility of our ability to take the girls since he was doing so well and feeling well. On the next day, December 22, 2014, I called the CPS office - of course case worker was not in and neither was her supervisor. So, I left a voice mail. No call back from neither of them. Finally on the 29th of December, I was able to get in touch with Case worker to ask for a home study and she said that CPS was not going to recommend this. I pleaded and begged with her to reconsider. She said where were you all 6 months ago.. I told her I was taking care of a husband who needed my cares. This pleading fell on deaf ears. She said that CPS was taking away the parental rights and putting the girls up for adoption. I asked her if I needed to get an attorney and her reply was that everyone had an attorney. You do what you have to. You will have to have your children's attorney request a home study from the judge. We obtained a family law attorney at cost of 4000.00. County family court upheld CPS position based on lies by CPS and now my Grandchildren are gone forever. 6 months is not enough time to allow for a proper solution to placement for these children. I am sure that CPS policy and procedures and state family law statutes were not followed in this case. We are out of money for attorney and the parent's court appointed attorney is filing a Denovo... supposedly last Friday the 13th, 2015... We don,t know what to do at this point... I am not sleeping... husband is stressed which is not good as he has heart trouble-- I will never trust CPS and that is where I made my first mistake! All professionals in Texas are told we must report suspected abuse of neglect.... and that calling CPS is not a bad thing that they will help families with housing etc..... absolutley wrong!!

LindaJM

Re: Grandchildren become CPS property for adoption

Postby LindaJM » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 am

Yes, that is a hard lesson to learn and ... so painful for everyone involved. How old are the children? You are not the first grandparent I've met through this site who called CPS and later regretted it because they were not given custody.

Did you discuss the case with your state legislators or with the county commissioner for your section of the county?

That seems like a very short time for a CPS case, considering the charge was based on an unpaid utility bill.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

monkette31

Re: Grandchildren become CPS property for adoption

Postby monkette31 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:07 am

Gee, I'm very surprised the ss worker told you about the home study at all. CPS is petitioning for adoption, they are recommending it to the court and the court is the one who will decide, not CPS. Are the parents filing an appeal? Yes, it takes a long time to actually sever parental rights in most cases, around 2 years from what I've seen with the appeals and all. Some families have left websites and memorials on them for the children to find when they grow up. There are thousands of families that have re-united after adoption. I will tell you that I am one of them and I very much appreciate your post.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”