CPS recently made false decision of Emotional Abuse - NC

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

naturegirl66

CPS recently made false decision of Emotional Abuse - NC

Postby naturegirl66 » Fri May 20, 2016 4:37 pm

I am new here, I have a step-son, we have been together as a family for just over a year in this home, and before that about 9 months. He was recently diagnosed with several mental disorders including DMDD, ADHD and a few others including, ODD. He has destroyed property, stolen, lied, skipped class and even threatened to kill a child at school, acting out the motions as well as threatening me in the same way. Through all of this, I have tried to provide for him everything he needs, work with him (since I have a background in SPED and I'm approaching a candidacy for my PhD in Early Interventions), I have tried positive reinforcements, schedules, visuals, charts, reward systems.. everything I could learn about and try, and nothing has worked with this child. Recently, he faced some consequences for his actions and many privileges at home were removed and home became decidedly not fun. At the age of 11, he had already learned that a few words at school will make a very complicated situation for parents at home. DSS and CPS have now decided, based on something they are unable to explain to me, after seeing fleeting interaction and an online survey from a psychological profile completed for him, that I have emotionally abused this child. Now, I face being falsely accused of abuse, losing my job, my entire career as an educator and not being able to provide for my family. We had already begun the process of finding a good therapeutic home for him, because his threats, harming himself and destruction of property was becoming dangerous to himself and others. He had even told a nurse that he wanted to commit suicide. He later changed his story when he learned what was going to happen, but, we know that he needs help that we are unable to give him, however, we have tried our very best to provide everything for him that he needs and wants. But nothing is good enough. We walk on eggshells every day, because we don't know what he will do or say next. At the end of my rope. Afraid, even though I worked for DSS for 5 years as an intake worker.

LindaJM

Re: CPS recently made false decision of Emotional Abuse - NC

Postby LindaJM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:29 pm

I hope you have lawyered up already. Your career depends on getting through this without being placed on the central index registry. It would be tragic to go through that much education then not be able to use it. I admire what you've been trying to do for your step-son and hope you can get through this with the help of a good attorney. The caseworkers might have a hard time proving 'emotional abuse' especially when the child has a history of behavior problems.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Goaliegirl

Re: CPS recently made false decision of Emotional Abuse - NC

Postby Goaliegirl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:03 am

Sorry to hear this. Get a lawyer. I am a widow and I have accused of emotional abuse for not hugging my daughter. And this is three days after she violently attacked me in my car while driving down the road. Seriously. Get a lawyer.

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”