Troubles Understanding Guardianship

Newcomers, please post something to let us know who you are and if you have an open case, you can post about it here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

zonie

Troubles Understanding Guardianship

Postby zonie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:20 am

:? I'm having troubles understanding guardianship. I went to: http://www.childguardianship.com/ship and filled out the information. At the end it said "last will and testiment", so I didn't complete it. My DH and I know who we would want to care for our children should we both die. I would like to have papers filled out for that. I would also like to have something for temp guardianship, like when the kiddos spend time with their grandparents so that they may make medical decisions for the kids in our absense if someone gets hurt in their care. Or should CPS come along and I send the kids with someone local (in a permanent situation, guardianship would be placed with someone in another state). The web site above seems to be a more permanent thing.

More I'm not getting. Lets say I have temp guardianship papers, and we are at the ER with a broken arm and CPS comes along. I show the papers to CPS. Then do I turn over the children to their guardians immediatly? Do they stay with the guardians for the duration of an investigation? How does this work? Or does CPS back off and I don't have to bother taking the children there at all? And how long would they have to stay with their guardians? How do I know when to bring them back home? Would I be allowed to see the children while they are with their temp guardians, and even do things like take them to school and such? Maybe be a "babysitter"?

I'm sorry. It seems so basic, yet I'm just not "getting it". I live in Arizona BTW.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm having troubles understanding guardianship. I went to: http://www.childguardianship.com/ship and filled out the information. At the end it said "last will and testiment", so I didn't complete it. My DH and I know who we would want to care for our children should we both die. I would like to have papers filled out for that.

Complete this one. That is what you are wanting, a last will and testament.
The web site above seems to be a more permanent thing.

That is what you are looking for in the event of your death.
I would also like to have something for temp guardianship, like when the kiddos spend time with their grandparents so that they may make medical decisions for the kids in our absense if someone gets hurt in their care. Or should CPS come along and I send the kids with someone local (in a permanent situation, guardianship would be placed with someone in another state).

Use this one for the temp and state in it if in the event of our deaths name you and your husband they are to go to the grandparents. The grandparents would have the permanent one to show them.
https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/rev_child1.mv

At the end of this one it goes, "This grant of authority is signed this.........put the date......and shall remain in effect until terminated by the undersigned parent or guardian.

Be sure you get them all notarized.
Lets say I have temp guardianship papers, and we are at the ER with a broken arm and CPS comes along. I show the papers to CPS.

Yes.
Then do I turn over the children to their guardians immediatly?

Yes. More than likely cps would require to meet the guardians at the hospital because of the type of situation you are in. Broken bones serious looking injuries would inquire an investigation.

I had one case where they had to turn the childr/en over to the guardians. The guardians had to sign that they would not let the parents near the child/ren without supervision.
Do they stay with the guardians for the duration of an investigation?

Yes.
Or does CPS back off and I don't have to bother taking the children there at all?

If it is a hospital situation they will not back off or a report from a dr they might not back off. It all depends on your state, how cps works in your county, etc.

And how long would they have to stay with their guardians?

Until the investigation is over.

How do I know when to bring them back home?

Depends on the outcome of the investigation.

Would I be allowed to see the children while they are with their temp guardians, and even do things like take them to school and such? Maybe be a "babysitter"?

Again it would depend on your cps in your county what they would allow.

I'm sorry. It seems so basic, yet I'm just not "getting it".

You do not need to apologize. This is new to you and all of us. The more questions get asked the more clarity comes to me too. For instance the fact that I just now realized with your questions that everyone should put on their temp guardianship that in the event of his/her/their deaths where the children would go.

It is a good thing you asked these questions and I am greatful that you brought this to my attention.
This is not legal advice;hopefully wisdom

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.
http://themurkynews.blogspot.com/ MattTwoFour

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

Marina

Postby Marina » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:31 pm

I had a lot of similar questions. I did a search for "temporary guardianship" and a lot of issues are raised in articles on this subject. I haven't spent enough time to post a good article on this website, but I urge everybody to do their own internet search, especially using your state's name.

In general a good policy for any search of a subject would be to use that term plus "court opinion." For example "safety plan" plus "court opinion" plus your state. I don't know what kind of results you would get for this subject, but it is just a good policy.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:21 pm

Just about everything you will search about temporary guardianship has to do with the courts. If you go through the courts then to terminate the guardian you would have to go through the courts again. It is not as easily done this way.

There is no law stating that people cannot do a private guardianship between themselves. Some say you do not even have to notarize the agreement, but I felt and still feel that is very unsafe not to.

Yes, the courts have laws in each state as to how they do guardianships. We had to do a court guardianship for medical reasons this time. We did a co-guardianship between our daughter and ourselves. It is costly to go through the courts and they have laws governing what you do by court.

Our first one we wrote ourselves.We had to fight the relatives in court to get our one granddaughter back from the relatives. We did not know the relatives, uncle and aunt, had worked for CPS at one time. They revealed to the CPS that they had guardianship papers for the oldest granddaughter. When they faxed the papers to cps cps said they could not do anything about it now. But later cps and the relatives cooked up plans on how to get both granddaughters.

When my daughter realized that the relatives were not going to send her oldest back she and my husband drove night and day to get our granddaughter. Before they left my daughter did the revocation and had it notarized.

We went to court and the judge honored both the guardianship because it stated that our granddaughter would be returned when the mother asked for her to be returned and the revocation. He recognized that they were both legal notarized documents.

No courts were involved with our first guardianship and revocation and it was legal.

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

DesertSkye

legaldocs.com

Postby DesertSkye » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:28 am

On the legaldocs.com one you can actually type into the document

I put co-guardian in front of each place it said guardian

you ca name more than one person

I named my parents(dazeemay is my mom) as well as my sister and brother-in-law

you can also add other things i the block they provide towards the bottom

I put as for a time frame

Until otherwise noted in writing by (me)

We have had two judges honor our guardianship procedures in two different states

One was the notarized one we did ourselves with the free document from legal docs.com and had it notarized

I was told by the notary

Notarizing it makes it a legal document...........I recommend having the termination one printed out but not signed and put it in the same file or somewhere you ca n get to in a moments notice if needed
A wretched soul, bruised with adversity,
We bid be quiet when we hear it cry;
But were we burdened with like weight of pain,
As much or more we should ourselves complain.
William Shakespeare

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:46 am

Yes, these various issues need to be brought up. There is an issue of whether the parents "transfer" guardianship or whether the situation is "co-guardianship."

There is the issue of guardianship of the "person" vs. guardianship of the "property" of the child, such as finances, etc. There is the issue of "powers" of the guardian. Some powers mentioned were the authority to consent to adoption and marriage, power to transfer their guardianship to a third party, etc.

There is the issue of "responsibilities" of the guardian, such as educational and medical care.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:36 am

Marina have you looked at the links for filling out the guardianship?

This is not court ordered.

This is the one we did

Name......., the parent or guardian of the below described minor(s) and legally entitled to give this authorization, grants name and name, and name and name [b]temporary authority
, limited to the below defined powers, over the following children:

Name
Name

To seek medical care for the children, including, but not limited to, visits to the doctorand/or hospital.

To authorize medical treatment or medical proceducres in the event of an emergency situation.

To provide food and shelter for the above named childre, and to make desisions regarding their diay-to-day activities.

To transport the children in the caregive's cae, including authorization to pick the children up from school or daycare.

To make any and all decisions in regards to name and name until otherwise noted in writing by name, mother of name and name with full and legal custody hereby make name and name name and name co-guardians of name and name.

This grant of authority is effective as of date, and shall remain in effect until terminated by the undersigned parent or guardian.

This grant of authority is signed this date, in the county of name state of.

signed....name...............Notary stamp
[/b]

This is all temp. This has nothing to do with parents etc who want to go to court to do this.

This is only to keep cps off of our backs from taking the children. This stops them. They would have to go to court to argue this or go to a judge and get a warrant. Which they are not going to do as yet.

I have posted time and again this is may change once they decide what we are doing.

If the parent is being investigated this is their protection so that the child does not have to go into the foster system.

What happens if a parent is subtantiatied....I don't know. Like I said this is a work in progress.

If you go through the courts they have more power to turn your children over to the guardian and cps.

There is the issue of guardianship of the "person" vs. guardianship of the "property" of the child, such as finances, etc. There is the issue of "powers" of the guardian. Some powers mentioned were the authority to consent to adoption and marriage, power to transfer their guardianship to a third party, etc.

Through the courts yes these are issues. This is talking about full blown guardianship.
Last edited by Dazeemay on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

DesertSkye

full blown guardianship

Postby DesertSkye » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:50 am

On our one we did thru the judge and the courts we also had them put co-guardian into that as well

so even thru the courts you can do co-guardian

I would recommend you come up with a reason other than protecting them from cps for doing it

We did it for several reasons

I am a single mom and my kids do not want to go live with their dad if something should happen to me

(the dad is in agreement that they can stay here with my parents)

As well as my daughters medical needs require us to be going to appts alot and there are times when my parents take her or watch my other kids while we are gone......

so there are various ways you can do it

However its done its so much safer and better than leaving the risk wide open for them to end up in the hands of the state

I think ALL parents should do it

because if you don't have one written up and something happens to the parents the state decides where they go even if there was never nay CPS involvement

William Shakespeare

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:24 pm

Yes, I understand that there is "guardianship" and "legal guardianship." But there are still all the "what if's".

Here is one website that discusses various issues relating to "legal" guardians. I think it is interesting to read something like this to look at the issue from various angles. Knowledge is power.

California
http://court.co.nevada.ca.us/services/f ... anship.htm

Michigan
http://www.bridges4kids.org/IEP/Guardia ... p%20child'
Last edited by Marina on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:48 pm

Here is one website that discusses various issues relating to "legal" guardians. I think it is interesting to read something like this to look at the issue from various angles. Knowledge is power.

Need the link and I agree knowledge is power.

There will always be what "if's" in whatever actions we take. So far nothing has come up with any of the one's who have done it. CPS has backed off or the judge has stated that it was legal.

Yes, the whole thing is taking a chance.

Like I said before I would rather take a chance on a relative than the cps foster system. We kept two of the three grandchildren safe and it was worth fighting the relatives to get the oldest back. It would have been much worse had they all been taken by the system.

And if we would have not won with the relatives at least we knew they would have been taken care of.

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:27 pm

I went back and posted the website.

Here is something interesting from Georgia.
http://www.georgiacourts.org/courts/pro ... ships.html

TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP INFORMATION

If you have a child in your physical custody and you are not that child’s parent, you are without authority to enroll the child in school, obtain medical treatment for the child or otherwise control the child without first becoming the legally qualified Temporary Guardian of Person through the Probate Court of your county of residence. (Alternatively, you may contact the Juvenile Court about becoming the legal custodian of the child.)

If you wish to become Temporary Guardian of Person, you must comply with every legal requirement, including notice to both parents of the child...

- - - - - - - - - -

Oregon
http://www.ojd.state.or.us/osca/cpsd/co ... p%20child'

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:35 pm

The reason for this law in GA and other states is that it was almost a pandemic situation where parents were leaving their children with whomever; relatives, friends, etc..

They were sending the children to the schools without permission for anything.

The parents never signed their guardianship over to them.

If you wish to become Temporary Guardian of Person, you must comply with every legal requirement, including notice to both parents of the child...

This tells you the parents were not around.

The parents who sign the temp guardianship for protecting their children from cps are there and have legally given the permission to care for the child/ren.
Last edited by Dazeemay on Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesertSkye

Postby DesertSkye » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:47 pm

yes, that is exactly what the one judge said to the relatives about the "notarized non-court guardianship"
that I as the parent had signed it and that he was honoring itand that I had done exactly as I should have

So no it won't work if you just leave your kids with someone as Dazee mentioned

This is completely different

It is the parent or parents giving someone they trust legal co-guardianship

and even the notarized one gives explicit permission to what you want them to have permission to do and what decisions you want them to make

It includes ALL medical and school decisions as well as day to day decisions regarding their welfare

but, you can add to it or take away from it

Its very different than what is being talked about in the GA link...

That would be like if I just left my kids with my parents or a babysitter, no documentation signed by me and didn't come back

Also the GA thing talks about relinquishment by both parents

this is not the same at all as co-guardianship
Co-guardianship is not giving up your rights to your children
they still live with you unless something happens where they can't

William Shakespeare

Marina

Postby Marina » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:32 pm

All of you are very knowledgable about all this. It is amazing. Thank you for all your efforts. It takes a lot of work and time. I learn something new every day.

DesertSkye

A learning exp for all of us

Postby DesertSkye » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 am

Hi Marina
This is def a learning exp for all of us

I would't say that we are that knowledgeable.......

but, this is a new thing, it was for us, and to be honest I don't remember how we even decided to try it.......

but, the way our case was it involved 3 states and 3 judges so it did give us a good idea of how it works

All 3 judges honored them and we won all 3 cases

and we can use all the info you find

I hope you didn't think I was trying to disprove what you were saying

I was only clarifying it for the next person who comes in to read it

So please do keep posting
we all learn from each other and right now I don't have the time to get on and do any research

I can only pop on when something comes in that I have insight from experience on...

so we are all very thankful there are ones like you and my mom and many more who do have the time

Even though everythng is closed right now

I have no doubt they will open the door again someday
gone but not forgotten
all we can do is stay on our toes!

William Shakespeare

zonie

Postby zonie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:49 am

OK bear with me. I'm still confused. :oops:

So for temporary guardianship, I want to use the form from this web site even though it says "last will and testiment"?http://www.childguardianship.com/ship

If it's a temporary situation, i have the termination papers ready to go.

If it's a permanent situation, my DH and I die, then the temporary guardian will have papers for the permanent guardian? Would I write "permanent" on that paper?

So I plan on listing both my husband's parents and my aunt and uncle for temp guardianship should the need arise. Would I put "co" on that so they are co-guardians, or would I jsut leave as is? These people are local, so should something happen that temp guardianship is necessary, my kids won't be too far from me.

But in the event of my DH and my death, our kids would go to live with DHs brother in another state.

I need to get on this and get it done!

Thanks for the continuing help.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:44 am

So for temporary guardianship, I want to use the form from this web site even though it says "last will and testiment"?http://www.childguardianship.com/ship

No, that is only for in the event of your deaths. Thank you for bringing that to my attention about that link. I am going to have to go in and make it clearer. If you notice that link is talking about parents having a last will and testament. They stress that one should do a will in the event of death.

Until I can find out if it can be used for both use the temp one for emergencies.

Fill out the temp one that I posted here or here is the link to that one https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/rev_child1.mv

This link also gives you the revocation in the event you no longer want to use any of the people you picked to do your temp.

So I plan on listing both my husband's parents and my aunt and uncle for temp guardianship should the need arise. Would I put "co" on that so they are co-guardians, or would I jsut leave as is?

Put "co" that is how we did in case one couple or the other cannot do it for some reason. Word it like I posted it.

If it's a permanent situation, my DH and I die, then the temporary guardian will have papers for the permanent guardian? Would I write "permanent" on that paper?

I would put on the temp guardians paper that in the event of your deaths should the children be with the temp guardians then they(the temp guardians) would turn over the children to the permanent guardians.

Good questions. :wink:

zonie

Postby zonie » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:10 am

Fill out the temp one that I posted here or here is the link to that one https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/rev_child1.mv

The only problem with this link, at least what was said at the other board, is that it's a temporary authority, not a guardianship. I guess that's where I hit that brick wall.

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 am

If you look at the wording I posted it authorizes the said persons as co-guardians with full and legal custody and you are giving these said persons authority.

theresaplsn

Guardianship

Postby theresaplsn » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:59 pm

:roll:

I was told it's for good unless you motion the court at a different time and there has been a significant change in circumstances. but that was with the ex's cousin. so it would be a family thing i guess. my daughter is 14 so it might be an age and state thing to.

:?: :?: :?:
Stay Strong!

donnak78631

Re: Troubles Understanding Guardianship

Postby donnak78631 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:04 pm

https://www.legaldocs.com/docs/rev_child1.mv

That link leads to a :
Revocation of Child Care Authorization Questionnaire

I needa temporary gardianship form for Texas to prevent CPS from removing my granddaughter...long long story, but I know the next step they are taking is removal....I do not truct one thing they tell these kids...I want to prevent CPS from placing my granddaughter in foster care...my home has already been homestudied and my husband and I both have passed the background checks.....so we should be able to just have the kids sign the gardianship over to us then thats it right.....???

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:02 pm

By kids, I assume you mean the parents. Who has your granddaughter now, the parents? If they have her then get on LegalZoom .com and get guardianship papers. You should read the Guardianship Forum on this site to give yourself a better understanding of what is involved. Not knowing your circumstances it is hard to tell you what you can do.

It sounds to me that you and your husband have already taken the Foster Parent classes and that would mean your granddaughter is already in foster care. If that is the case then it would be impossible to do a guardianship. It needs to be done before cps takes a child into custody.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I think grandparent guardianship is a great plan and very helpful in many cases, especially if the parents agree to it. I answered your query in another thread a few moments ago... basically just to give you the link to the guardianship information Dazeemay placed on this board: viewforum.php?f=87
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

donnak78631

Postby donnak78631 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:52 am

My son is the custodial parent, the mother has visitation rights. My son lives with me, the mother lives with her parents, the mothers home has been deemed unsafe and the other grandparents are not to be around the children unsupervised.

CPS has not removed the children yet, but I feel it in my gut, I do not trust what is going on and I want to prevent CPS from putting my granddaugher into foster care. My son and his babies mother both have issues and CPS is completely indaquite in their handling of all the issues that have come up over the last year of this nightmare.

Do both parents have to sign the gardianship?

KatelinLafayette

Postby KatelinLafayette » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi i live in Texas and my in laws out in California received guardianship of our daughter.(there was a case out here with CPS and due to not having family out here she was sent to live with them with out a court order) We were not notified in a reasonable time slot nor did we receive papers about the hearing or after the hearing.My in laws havent spoken to us since they had our daughter (jan 2010- present)(they were granted guardianship dec 2010, i was told by the court investigator) nor have they sent photos of her... Ive had to call the police for well fare checks. Are they allowed to cut off any communication about my daughter? What are our rights as her parents? can we go get her and bring her home?

Return to “Newcomers - Welcome to the site - please sign in here”