Some child abuse facts and statistics

What do the numbers really say?

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

GamerXY

Some child abuse facts and statistics

Postby GamerXY » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:40 pm

I found this site through another forum. It stated 10 general facts regarding child abuse.

What may startle you guys may be #8...

"More than 8 out of 10 abused children are abused by their own parents…

Mothers are most often the perpetrators. They either physically abuse their children or severely neglect meeting their basic needs of food and safe shelter.

Fathers, step-fathers, friends, and neighbors are generally the perpetrators of sexual abuse. "

Source is on the bottom.

For those lazy to find the source for #8, here it is...
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm05/table3_16.htm
According to national data from the Child Welfare League of America, investigative caseworkers' qualifications fall into the following categories:

No degree: 5 percent
Bachelor's degree, any field: 26 percent
Bachelor's degree, related field: 45 percent
Bachelor of Social Work: 14 percent
Master of Social Work: 2 percent
Other: 7 percent

http://ndas.cwla.org/

Gary Shaw

Postby Gary Shaw » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:30 pm

There is a abundance of information on that site. I have been mining it for several years. You should not however selectively posts just the information that supports your views. Also post the statistics from the same site that tells about mandated reporters and how often they are wrong, or the number of cases with an unsubstantiated ruling as opposed to the number substantiated, or the percentage of cases brought for abuse (physical or sexual) compared to the number of cases brought for neglect. Neglect is a poorly defined area and allows to much opinion of the investigator to be involved.

Child abuse exists and is horrible. People who actually beat and/or injure a child have committed a felony and should be arrested, tried in the Criminal Justice system and when found guilty by a jury of there peers put in jail for a long long time. Families who have healthy children and do not live as some immature, under trained and inexperienced case worker or investigator thinks they should need to be left alone. It is the old American way.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the Constitution so the second will not become a legalized version of the first.
Thomas Jefferson

GamerXY

Postby GamerXY » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:07 pm

Hey Gary,

Given that many news and facts posted here were on CPS being bad, would it be necessary for me to add more onto it? Although I agree that children do get hurt in the system, I feel it is also important to acknowledge the fact that the system exists for a reason.
According to national data from the Child Welfare League of America, investigative caseworkers' qualifications fall into the following categories:

Gary Shaw

Postby Gary Shaw » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:07 pm

Gamer,

You seem to be one of the rare workers who care. We need more like you and fewer of the bad ones. We have always welcomed CPS workers of all levels and Foster Parents to our website;

www.fixcps.org

And we do not allow serious bashing of them. It will be a joint effort of CPS workers, foster parents, damaged families, and dedicated citizens who finally fix these problems. We only ask that CPS do it's job, do it well but do it legally and constitutionally.

I readily acknowledge that child abuse exists. You are correct that there is much negative opinion on this site and others like it where CPS is concerned, remember this is Fight CPS. The purpose is to assist those who are on the other side of the fence from you.

As my profile says, I live in Georgia. In 2005 there were 5,919 precious little children who were without doubt physically or sexually abused in Georgia. However there were 82,000 investigations. To us that means that 76,000 plus families were disrupted and shattered for a meriad of reasons that did not involve physical injury to the children. All those cases were basically subjective not objective and were based on opinions not on a well defined legal definition (Neglect). I do not have the statistics in front of me but I believe 42,000 were ruled as Unsubstantiated and 16,000 were ruled did not meet the criteria for child maltreatment and a case was not opened. That is 58,000 families where maltreatment did not exist that were subjected to the horrors brought during the investigation and actions prior to being ruled unsubstantiated. Wonder how many of those children were removed for a time, how many married couples were forced to separate for a tiime, how many of those people lost their jobs due to excessive absenteeism having to go to court, to the meetings, to therapists, pyschologists, and pysch evals, only to be ruled unsubstantiated, case closed without even an, I'm sorry. How many of them after the Judge ruled, unsubstantiated, were still found in need of services and continued to have to jump thru the hoops?

For a fact, we are biased. For a look at how baised some on your side of the fence are, look at:

http://community.livejournal.com/chx_protection

January, 2007 I made the decision to convert our site from an advocacy to an activist site. Primarily because I estimated that 65 percent or so of the people who contacted us had issues in their lives that needed to be addressed. Most wanted us to fix it for them, we can not. When we told them they had to go to work and gain enough knowledge to do it themselves because in most states Juvenile Court is closed, that there was no EASY button, they went away. What I accomplished was rendering our site almost inactive. Most people want it fixed but they want someone else to fix it for them.

Please don't write off ALL parents because of the actions of 2 or 5 percent of parents. Always remember the trauma a young child must feel when they are ripped out of the only home they have ever known and from the only parents they have. Even if the home leaves something to be desired, even if the parents don't fit your model of what a parent should be.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the Constitution so the second will not become a legalized version of the first.

Thomas Jefferson

GamerXY

Postby GamerXY » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Thanks for invite.

Return to “Statistics”