PTSD - mental illnes vs. psychiatric injury

Share information here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Marina

PTSD - mental illnes vs. psychiatric injury

Postby Marina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:45 am

Mental illness vs. psychiatric injury

http://suicideandmentalhealthassociatio ... sdsym.html

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a natural emotional reaction to a deeply shocking and disturbing experience. It is a normal reaction to an abnormal situation.

- - - - - - -

Differences between mental illness and psychiatric injury

The person who is being bullied will eventually say something like "I think I'm being paranoid..."; however they are correctly identifying hypervigilance, a symptom of PTSD, but using the popular but misunderstood word paranoia. The differences between hypervigilance and paranoia make a good starting point for identifying the differences between mental illness and psychiatric injury.
Last edited by Marina on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:52 am

Stress, Injury to health, Trauma, PTSD

Symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, PTSD symptoms, survivor guilt and trauma caused by bullying, harassment, abuse and abusive life experiences
What is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?
How do I recognise the symptoms of PTSD? How do I recover from PTSD?
Updated 4 November 2005

http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/ptsd.htm#Differences

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:59 am

link no longer works
Last edited by Marina on Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marina

Postby Marina » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:44 am

Fed. govt. token acknowledgement of "psychiatric injury" in workplace.

"Psychiatric injury" seems to be more of a European and UK term.
They have more laws and hotlines about "workplace bullying."

Workplace bullying doesn't seem to be recognized legally in the US, although there is a site about it.

It took me a long to find a sanitized, Americanized reference to the phonenom, several years ago.

The conditions which cause stress at work are similar to those experienced by people who have been investigated by CPS, etc.

The article still denies that stress is a bad situation.
In other words, there is nothing wrong with the situation,
but there is something wrong with your reaction to the situation.

I have read that there is no condition of psychological disorder listed in the DSM (Diagnostic & Statistical Manual) that is defined by trauma. They are all defined by a person's REACTION to trauma. So it doesn't matter how a person REACTS, they can still find a disease label for any of it.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/stresswk.html

Job stress can be defined as the harmful physical and emotional responses that occur when the requirements of the job do not match the capabilities, resources, or needs of the worker. Job stress can lead to poor health and even injury.
- - - - - - - -

Nearly everyone agrees that job stress results from the interaction of the worker and the conditions of work. Views differ, however, on the importance of worker characteristics versus working conditions as the primary cause of job stress. These differing viewpoints are important because they suggest different ways to prevent stress at work.
- - - - - - - - - - -

On the basis of experience and research, NIOSH favors the view that working conditions play a primary role in causing job stress. However, the role of individual factors is not ignored. According to the NIOSH view, exposure to stressful working conditions (called job stressors) can have a direct influence on worker safety and health. But as shown below, individual and other situational factors can intervene to strengthen or weaken this influence.
- - - - - - - - - -
Job Conditions That May Lead to Stress

The Design of Tasks. Heavy workload, infrequent rest breaks, long work hours and shiftwork; hectic and routine tasks that have little inherent meaning, do not utilize workers' skills, and provide little sense of control.

Example: David works to the point of exhaustion. Theresa is tied to the computer, allowing little room for flexibility, self-initiative, or rest.

Management Style. Lack of participation by workers in decision- making, poor communication in the organization, lack of family-friendly policies.

Example: Theresa needs to get the boss's approval for everything, and the company is insensitive to her family needs.

Interpersonal Relationships. Poor social environment and lack of support or help from coworkers and supervisors.

Example: Theresa's physical isolation reduces her opportunities to interact with other workers or receive help from them.

Work Roles. Conflicting or uncertain job expectations, too much responsibility, too many "hats to wear."

Example: Theresa is often caught in a difficult situation trying to satisfy both the customer's needs and the company's expectations.

Career Concerns. Job insecurity and lack of opportunity for growth, advancement, or promotion; rapid changes for which workers are unprepared.

Example: Since the reorganization at David's plant, everyone is worried about their future with the company and what will happen next.

Environmental Conditions. Unpleasant or dangerous physical conditions such as crowding, noise, air pollution, or ergonomic problems.

Example: David is exposed to constant noise at work.
- - - - - - - - - -

Stress sets off an alarm in the brain, which responds by preparing the body for defensive action. The nervous system is aroused and hormones are released to sharpen the senses, quicken the pulse, deepen respiration, and tense the muscles. This response (sometimes called the fight or flight response) is important because it helps us defend against threatening situations. The response is preprogrammed biologically. Everyone responds in much the same way, regardless of whether the stressful situation is at work or home.
- - - - - - - -

But when stressful situations go unresolved, the body is kept in a constant state of activation, which increases the rate of wear and tear to biological systems.
- - - - - - - - ----------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a related document on The changing organization of work.
In the workplace bullying literature, they call it "institutional bullying."

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/02-116.pdf

page 22, "flexible staffing" is discussed

Research is needed to better understand how
new work systems affect workers’ capacity to
influence job conditions and opportunities for
learning and growth and, in turn, the impact on
safety and health in the workplace. Increased
worker control and learning opportunities are
recognized in the job stress literature as powerful
antidotes to stress and illness. But concern
exists that various worker participatory or involvement
strategies may often be more ceremonial
than substantive, having little meaningful
influence on worker empowerment—or perhaps
even eroding workers’ means to influence job conditions
through more traditional labor-management
mechanisms such as collective bargaining. Concern
also exists that cross-functional teamwork and job
enlargement strategies may in some instances multiply
the number of tasks workers perform with
little net effect on worker competencies.

Marina

Postby Marina » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:47 am

Congress, Ways and Means Committee
Statement of Jody Wardell, Enon, Ohio

http://waysandmeans.house.gov/hearings. ... ew&id=1355

Marina

Helping overcome professional exploitation

Postby Marina » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:31 pm

http://www.advocateweb.org/hope/default.asp

Advocate Web
Helping overcome professional exploitation

There can be times in our lives when a professional in a position of power, authority, or trust can take advantage of us in ways we may have never imagined possible. If this has happened to you, we offer HOPE.
AdvocateWeb is a nonprofit organization providing information and resources to promote awareness and understanding of the issues involved in the exploitation of persons by trusted helping professionals. We are attempting to be a helpful resource for victim/survivors, their family and friends, the general public, and for victim advocates and professionals.

Marina

RETRAUMATIZATION

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:16 am

http://www.goessoftlyishere.com/RETRAUMATIZATION.html

THE HEALING PROCESS

RETRAUMATIZATION

This article addresses how we, as therapists and counselors can unawarely
retraumatize our patients, even when they have told us clearly this is what we are doing. The question will surely be asked, "How could I continue to damage my client in such a way if they have told me this is happening ?"

The answer is obvious. I wasn't listening!

mommyx3b

Postby mommyx3b » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:16 am

Very interesting, since my diagnosis is PTSD. My worker say at least once in every convertation "You are mentaly ill" I can't wait to reply "No, I am mentaly injured"

Marina

Postby Marina » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:41 am

Bullying and PTSD

http://www.bullyeq.com/bol/stress/ptsd.htm

"When the trauma is inflicted by another person, is especially intense, or the traumatized person is extremely close to the trauma, the severity of traumatization may be especially profound"
Robert C Scaer, MD, Author, The Body bears the Burden: Trauma, Dissociation and Disease

Definition

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a natural emotional reaction to a deeply shocking and disturbing experience. It is a normal reaction to an abnormal situation....

Emily_Rugburn

Re:

Postby Emily_Rugburn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:10 pm

mommyx3b wrote:Very interesting, since my diagnosis is PTSD. My worker say at least once in every convertation "You are mentaly ill" I can't wait to reply "No, I am mentaly injured"

Of course they tell you that... It's the only thing they have and they are trying to make it sound worse than it really is. I just don't see how you can harm your child while having nightmares or panic attacks. From now on, remember not to say anything about the trauma that caused your ptsd, and soon, your doc will have to say you're recovered. Don't be honest about your mental health. Read as much as possible about ptsd so you can pretend you are recovered if you have to. I have read about all kinds of mental disorders enough that when I go to a doc, I can get any meds I want, and I con convince anyone that I'm perfectly mentally healthy, but in all honesty, I don't think many people truly are completely mentally healthy.

Mafettig

Re: PTSD - mental illnes vs. psychiatric injury

Postby Mafettig » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

The largest and most misdiagnosed injury results from the improper use of antidepressants for the treatment of the grieving parent over the sudden and unexpected loss of their child. Grief and Bipolar disorder confusion by trained professionals often get left to the overmedication, which only acts to remove the ability to funtion through the healing/case plan - when misdiagnosed, often times the natural depression's treatment with drugs meant for clinical depression can trigger the destructiveness of the ability to perform the necessary court ordered steps, and thus, leave the parent in a continual period of grief that only a child's return can cure. When grief is properly diagnosed, it begins to show that the parent truly does have a good relationship with the child, and therefore, the CPS reports prove incorrect.
Though everyone deals with grief differently, grief is considered normal for up to two months after a loss (in cases of death) - under cases of unexpected child loss due to the removal from the parent's home, it has been my discovery that the grieving period is reset with each visitation, and therefore should be considered when diagnostics are evaluated.

KDus

Re: PTSD - mental illnes vs. psychiatric injury

Postby KDus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:12 pm

I've often wondered if this would be easier if they had died. You are right about feeling the torment of loss every time they take the kids away.
I've been wondering if I am paranoid since my first experience with CPS. Now, I know I am being hypervigilant.

Return to “Psychiatry & Medications”