Worried about my Psych Eval

Share information here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Emily_Rugburn

Worried about my Psych Eval

Postby Emily_Rugburn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:30 pm

I've been ordered by the court to take a Psychological Evaluation for CPS. I'm worried about this because at first, I thought, no big deal, I'm good at faking mental health or disorders, I've been doing it for years in order to avoid certain diagnosis that I'm afraid is imminent. However now, I've heard and read that these Psychologists are really good at finding out if you are mentally ill, or mentally disabled. I've always known that I'm not mentally healthy, and that is why I've read so many books to learn about disorders so that I can make sure I show none of the signs of the disorders. But the tests they give are designed to find out even if you know how without letting you know they know what's going on, I guess. So my fear is that they will diagnose me with bi-polar or borderline personality disorder, or asperger syndrome or something. And if they do, I just know that those CPS whores will eat it up and use it to say I'm unfit or make me go to a mental hospital or something.

Why do they even do it if they don't plan to use it against you? If I were seriously insane or psychotic, wouldn't it be pretty obvious when they met me? If they have to do an evaluation, that just shows that they want to use any minor mental problem I may have.

Any words of wisdom?
Any hope?

i know I need to get help, but not while CPS is in our lives.

rakhel

Re: Worried about my Psych Eval

Postby rakhel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Well I don't know how we did it, but my husband managed to convince the doc that he was suffering from adjustment disorder due to ACS involvement(yes, it is written in the psych eval) and I managed to come out clean. The therapist had to harass his boss into giving me Adjustment disorder so ACS would get off my back(I love this guy).
Probably what it was is that we were more honest with the doc then we were with ACS(Try at own risk. This worked for us. May not work for you.)

PS Adjustment disorder is a very, very minor, very common, mental disorder. It's basically (as told by the therapist) you have trouble adjusting to certain situations. Like your mom dying or your husband leaving you or,gee I don't know, ACS kidnapping your kids.

For a laugh tell the case workers even they are mentally disturbed. When they tell you "no I'm not". Throw Adjustment disorder in their face. They still look at you like you're crazy, but it is a beautiful sight.
I did not give birth to my children just so someone else could raise them!!!

jewbacca

Postby jewbacca » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Rakhel is my wife. I can assure you that the majority of the CPS "psychiatrists" are inherently easily manipulated, at least those in the City of New York. Use a little common sense, and you'll be fine. Minimize any admissions you're forced to make, and the system won't find much, if anything.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:24 am

The psychological evaluations are standard - everyone has to take them. The CPS industry supports these "service providers" with Social Security fund reimbursements.

Don't go in there saying you're afraid of anything, or that you suspect a diagnosis. They probably won't catch on. If you don't give them clues they're unlikely to come up with a diagnosis like that. They'll want you to take some standard tests... and then probably will want to talk to you for a long time. Just be friendly and answer the questions but do not volunteer information such as "I'm worried I might be bipolar." LOL

The less said, the better. Mental health professionals take their cues from what we tell them about ourselves.

At the same time, you might find that they'll say you might be showing signs of covering up something. For that reason I suggest being open and friendly... but you're better off without a diagnosis because that can be used as 'evidence' against you. I guess what I'm saying is don't ask for it, but if it happens, it isn't the worst thing ever.

If they do find that you're bipolar they'll want you to take meds. They do often return children to parents with mental health diagnosis so long as they're taking their meds cooperatively. This is terrible for people who don't believe that pharmaceutical medications are the answer, but it would be worth doing for however long it takes to get the CPS case closed.

So long as they've got you cornered, you're going to have to play their game to protect your child... because if you don't they've always got the power to remove your child from his home.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Emily_Rugburn

Postby Emily_Rugburn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Ok, well, I'm about to do some reading on how to seem perfectly normal to a psychologist... I'll let you know what I learned.

Also, I have to do counseling... thats how they got me in for the long haul. I have to see this counselor for as long as they want me to, so if they want to drag it out for a year, they probably can. And in texas, you have a year to complete the service plan before TPR you.

I wonder if they are allowed to drag it out that long... And if that's the case, I wonder if I can hire my own counselor...these are things I will ask my caseworker when she comes over tuesday.

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:18 pm

YES you can hire your own counselor but if they are providing one you should also see theirs. You are allowed to collect your own evidence in your favor including a second counselor's opinion. Documentary evidence is helpful for when you go back to court. Collect as many documents as possible, in favor of you regaining custody of your child.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

Return to “Psychiatry & Medications”