Request for copy of CPS caserecord - form

Post and discuss legal documents of all kinds here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Dan Sullivan

Request for copy of CPS caserecord - form

Postby Dan Sullivan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:45 am

This is for NY.

If you're from another state substitute your state's comparable SS Law.

Find every state code on this link: http://familyrights.us/how_to/get_your_records/

---------------

Commissioner ______________________ Date ________

_______________ Dept. of Social Services

Re: NYSCR Register No. ____________

Dear Commissioner,

According to Article 6, Section 422, subsection 4, of the New York
State Social Services Law, Title 6:

"Reports made pursuant to this title as well as any other information obtained, reports written or photographs taken concerning such reports in the possession of the department or local departments shall be confidential and shall only be made available to... (d) any person who is the subject of the report or other persons named in the report."

I/We are now requesting of you and the ______________ Dept. of Social Services pursuant to the above stated law, copies of any and all reports written and photographs taken and any other information obtained and held by the Dept. of Social Services concerning our family and the suspected report of child abuse or maltreatment. Such information would include caseworker progress notes, recordings, transcripts, records of telephone conversations, etc.

Sincerely,

---------------------

Send this request to the Commissioner of Social Services of your county, NOT the commissioner of CPS.

Send it USPS return receipt requested.

The copy of your records should take ten working days.

You are supposed to receive a complete copy, BUT it's not unusual for CPS to withold pages of exculpatory information.
Last edited by Eljay on Fri May 04, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding link to familyrights.us with each state code noted

Anonymous

CPS

Postby Anonymous » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:32 pm

hI<

Where can I find a form like this for texas?

Julia Bowman

Emily_Rugburn

Re: Request for copy of CPS caserecord - form

Postby Emily_Rugburn » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:18 pm

Look in the Texas Family Code

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:54 pm

I googled "request CPS case record Texas"...

And found ... https://www.dfps.state.tx.us/policies/caserecord.asp

Maybe this would work for all fifty states. Google!
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

jzimme7904

Postby jzimme7904 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Where can I find this form for California?

diamondm35

Postby diamondm35 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Where can I find this form for Ft. Wayne, Indiana?

Dazeemay

Postby Dazeemay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I Googled just like Linda did but, did not find anything. So, it doesn't work for all 50 states.

Try taking the exact way cps stands for in your state. Like Department of Children and Family Services request case record Indiana or use the word case files.
If that doesn't work try just using the intials.

Hope this helps.
This is not legal advice;hopefully wisdom

To put it in simple terms…when the authorities ARE the perpetrators and the perpetrators ARE the authorities, there is no earthly justice or recourse, at the end of the day (unless the American people wake up).

Therefore, those who have achieved the highest levels of power seek to ‘enjoy’ the most grievous and extreme injustices. For many of those in the highest circles of power, the greatest statement of power is to perpetrate the greatest possible injustice…the savage, brutal traumatization and abuse of an innocent child.
http://themurkynews.blogspot.com/ MattTwoFour

"Ultimately, the law is only as good as the judge" --- D.X. Yue, 2005, in "law, reason and judicial fraud"
http://www.parentalrightsandjustice.com/index.cgi?ctype=Page;site_id=1;objid=45;curloc=Site:1

kittykat3658

Postby kittykat3658 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Im looking for a way to make CPS release the case file that they have concerning my family. I looked for the form to request that info for the state of North Carolina. It looks like that it's not posible to get them. Anyone out there know of a way?

Marina

Postby Marina » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Go to Child Welfare Information Gateway, and look on the right-hand side of the home page for the link to the State Statutes Search.

Search for North Carolina, and then the option for: disclosure of confidential... records.

Note the link to general information for the regulation for all states.

I think under federal law every state has to have a policy on disclosure of records, but don't regulate exactly what the policy has to be - otherwise you wouldn't have different policies in each state.

Go to your state gov. website and find the law on there, in case anything has changed.
The problem with some of the southern states is that they do not have very good policy manuals, or don't even publish the policy manuals online, so you don't know what to do.

In that case, I suppose you have to type up your own request and quote the text of the law, along with the code number.

brokenheartedmom

Postby brokenheartedmom » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:08 pm

i need a form for request of dcfs in illinois caserecord file

Thetalldutchman

Postby Thetalldutchman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:46 pm

California has a request form at juvenile court called sop 827 motion. I filed, and now cps asked me to withdraw this motion, because there are new laws that cps will send it to you. I withdrew the motion from juvenile court only to then hear from cps that I will get the file sometime and that might be a very long time. Is it true that the law just changed? Juvenile court keeps telling me that the laws didn't change!

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:40 pm

This is the first I've heard of the laws changing in CA. Check the social services regulations. You can read through them at your county law library. Your caseworker may also have been talking about an office policy. You may need to file for an administrative hearing to get this sorted out.
Sample Document Library

Please keep in mind that none of us are lawyers and we can't give legal advice. We are simply telling you what we would do in a similar situation. It is to your advantage to get a lawyer.

"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke ... so try to do something to change the system ...

tamsnchuck69

Postby tamsnchuck69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:05 am

my question is, what all is provided when u request a copy of the case record? i am in indiana

MaggieC

Postby MaggieC » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:37 pm

What is provided? In my state, the charges are listed as is the determination of the CPS worker.

As to actual evidence? They (CPS) states whatever they want.

BUT. It is very very important that you get your records to complete your court case, or in anticipation of suing the State, and/or to start to clear your name.

barhea7

Postby barhea7 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Anyone know how or where to look for Pennsylvania? I tried google but could not find the right info :(

Daruma

Postby Daruma » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:01 am

I can't find the Pennsylvania form, either. However, I found some contact info that might lead you to the form. I've posted it in the Pennsylvania forum. The Database Unit or the Appeals Unit should be able to help you.

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=10366

If you do find a copy of the form online, would you please add the link to that thread?
These are my personal opinions only. They are not legal, medical, or financial advice.

dani89

Postby dani89 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:11 pm

i am in ky.
our BSW's wont release and said we had to go through frankfort to get them (headquarters)
but it also cost money per page. is there a way to request the files/records and not be charged and get them in less than 30 days????

LindaJM

Postby LindaJM » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 am

dani89 wrote:i am in ky.
our BSW's wont release and said we had to go through frankfort to get them (headquarters)
but it also cost money per page. is there a way to request the files/records and not be charged and get them in less than 30 days????

See: Kentucky Open Records Request and Disclosure of Information

The form is online. I downloaded it and am putting it here...
Attachments
DPP-010 Open Records Request.doc
(21 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Sample Document Library

sparksbass

Postby sparksbass » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Anybody have any suggestions on how to obtain case records in Nevada? I've searched high and low and can't find anything. I tried the www.syc.org website quoted earlier but couldn't locate their letter generator.

kal6

Postby kal6 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I need one for Arizona where can I find one?

bunnilish

Postby bunnilish » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm

jzimme7904 wrote:Where can I find this form for California?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:06 am

bunnilish wrote:
jzimme7904 wrote:Where can I find this form for California?

You can find the California Welfare code quoted here, among other places:
http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/courtrules/CurrentCourtRulesPDF/Chap7.pdf
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

BillFaync

Postby BillFaync » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Is there any for North Carolina? I asked in one of my family plaing meetings and they said We could not request it. Do I have a right to it or not?

Eljay

Postby Eljay » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Follow the links at the top of the page for the information/legislation for each state. It's not necessarily a "form" but a civil right to be entitled to see/view your records.
Advice & opinions provided are no substitute for genuine legal assistance. Laws & rules vary by state/jurisdiction so do your homework and get
an education in CPS laws, rules & practices so that you can FIGHT for your children's rights. I am not a lawyer. Your mileage may vary.

----<>----<>----<>---- BREED WITH CAUTION ----<>----<>----<>----

monkette31

Postby monkette31 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Now I'm quite interested in this 827 form. I've been told that this is the form you file and you get ALL the records from the cps/dcfs/family court file, INCLUDING INTERNAL CPS/FAMILY LAW notes....and now reading this makes me think that of course county counsel would want the person to withdraw that 827, most likely didn't want to release ENTIRE FILE.
I'm not a lawyer but will try and help you any way i can. My postings may seem harsh but they all stem from personal experience with DCFS. I am not a victim and take responsibility for my part in my life, but I will always help ANYONE learn about the corrupt sick system.

Return to “Legal Documents”