Attorney returning file

Post and discuss legal documents of all kinds here.

Moderators: family_man, LindaJM

Fair_Rulings

Attorney returning file

Postby Fair_Rulings » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Does anyone know how long an appointed attorney can hang onto your legal file after you've fired them for being an incompetent, ineffective counsel that was only provided me in Los Angeles to help DCFS get away with their lies?

(I'm not a bitter person, I'm not, I'm not)

Gee, maybe I do need anger management? NOT
Not Legal Advice

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 pm

I read some where that the Lawyer won't return files back to you. You should have made copies and give to Lawyer but keep the Originals in your Files.

Lesson Learned.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Fair_Rulings

File

Postby Fair_Rulings » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Thanks for the Info, I did save copies of my file. My second attorney did return the file to me. My third attorney wont give it to me or my new attorney who has not spoken to me since she was appointed. I have written the Judge and city counsel regarding the failure of the court system. I've had four attorneys since July 21, 2006 and I'm ready for number five. I wonder how many attorneys they'll be able to appoint me?

Sometimes to grow a beautiful Rose you have to shovel a lot of manure.

Again Thank you
Not Legal Advice

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:49 am

Best Advice to do Research on Lawyers before you hire them.

Sit in a Courtroom and listen to OTHER CASES and how Lawyers do their Jobs....and what their Success Rates are...did they win the Case against CPS?

Then you can pick that Lawyer to fight for your Case. Success Rate will be much better if you pick the right one by researching all Lawyers in a Court room. Another way is to do research on all CPS CASES that Lawyers had done and you can see which cases were won against CPS then pick that Lawyer.
CPS Cases usually can be found in Legal Law Room in a Court House or on the Internet.

Just my two cents.
It is easy to steal from poor people. But don't do it. And don't take advantage of those poor people in court. The Lord is on their side. He supports them and he will take things away from any person that takes from them.~ Proverbs 22:22

Marina

Postby Marina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:43 am

I am thinking that in general CPS court cases are closed. Otherwise reporters could go in and watch.

I am thinking also that only the appeals cases are in the public court records, not current open cases or TPR cases that were not appealed. Some states don't even maintain a written record of the court cases.

Fair_Rulings

Case Closed

Postby Fair_Rulings » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:59 am

CPS cases in California are closed to the public. But I have done some research and found that the attorneys that win really jack up their prices. In family law cases you can go and watch. Court appointed attorneys are worthless and want me to settle, so they can make some quick bucks and be done with it. I wont settle and make them work for me. I am looking to file a lawsuit against CPS right now per Government Code 820.21. I have backed them way down by having meetings with the higher up CPS people, city counsel, Department of Justice and others. These child protectors just keep ruining lives!

Thanks for the info
Not Legal Advice

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:07 am

Here we have both Family Courts and Criminal Courts together, sometimes you can sit and watch. It all depends on the Judge. It can be closed to the Public. But rarely, they open to minimize traffic of People coming in.

Sometimes up here, Family Courts run on a different day while Criminal Courts on another day. Family Courts can be closed for the Public, some rarely open.

Juvie Courts would be closed, to protect Identitiy of the Child's names.

Criminal Courts are ALWAYS OPEN to the Public. I would sit all day long listen to other Criminal Cases and it is embarrassing. Most of them were Assault and Sexual Assault Cases.

Small Claims Courts are open to the Public, as I went in and sat and would hear People attend for not having a Driver's License, No Dog Tags, and not securing their Dogs, and Cats....whatever. :lol: I heard some most ridiculous Cases there as well.

It all depends on the Judge whether he or she opens the Family Courts to the Public. I got to sit down in Public Hearings once or twice, but the rest were closed. Just have to be lucky to go in while it is open to the Public, but the problem is when?

Have to be willing to stand there all day long which I did. Be ready to have some Coffee and Donuts while you wait. :D

But I would think it would save your time reading Court Cases (open Cases) on the Internet or Law Library at the Courthouse. Just like Marina mentioned.

Fair_Rulings

Attorney returning file

Postby Fair_Rulings » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks for the info. I have lots of case law, what I would like to know is what the local/state rules are for an attorney returning a file. It's very interesting how law works in Canada. In America they just want all our money and claim it's in the best interest of the child.

Take care
Not Legal Advice

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:45 am

Are you talking about Retainer's fee?

Usually Lawyers ask $3,000 to $5,000 in Retainer's Fee which is ridiculous.

Sometimes they will agree to Payment Plan by the month, or will bill you later.

Legal Aid accepts CPS Cases IF the Children are removed from Parent's Custody. That's what I have been told anyways from a Legal Aid Advisor.

I don't know what the Laws that pertains that an Attorney must return files to a Client. Sorry.

Jay

Re: Attorney returning file

Postby Jay » Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm

If you fire your attorney and go Pro Se or switch attorneys, they have to return your case file to you.

Return to “Legal Documents”